What's new
Any 60mm fan will work (60mm x 15mm deep). Here's the one that I used, which is $2.88/shipped. The problem is that almost all small fans, including 60mms, will run a bit loud. I installed this fan speed controller inside my A board and turned its speed all the way down.

No soldering is required, you just have to remove the fan speed controller's plastic shell and secure it in place with double-sided tape. I did shorten the wires on mine though to keep it clean. It's completely silent but still keeps a nice flow of air. I also took the precaution of replacing the thermal compound on the heat-sink with arctic silver.

Here's how it looks installed:
Why is your fan installed backwards? Is it a reverse polarity fan that sucks instead of blows?
Was it facing the other way originally? The way I positioned it, air is drawn inside. I thought that made more sense than exhausting from that side of the board. Should I flip it around?

My fan is blowing into the shell, it's noisy as hell... But it's also crazy powerful, you can feel the air blasting out of the vents on the top/front of the case.

At first I was afraid of potentially drawing dust/dirt into the shell with the air. After a month of use I opened up the A-board and it was still just as clean.

I believe my setup/case was aiding in this, as my PC always gets dusty and requires a cleaning.
IMG_20150526_130201%25257E2.jpg

Notice the CPS2 inside the glass door case, however the pc is in the open under the TV.

I suppose you're limiting the area for the dust to enter at the fan shroud.

The CPS2 doesn't heat enough to need a fan. The problem is that the plastic enclosure prevents air from flowing as it would naturally causing it to retain heat.

The original fan powered at 5v is enough to prevent the build up of heat inside the casing without being too noisy.

The CPS2 doesn't heat enough to need a fan. The problem is that the plastic enclosure prevents air from flowing as it would naturally causing it to retain heat.

The original fan powered at 5v is enough to prevent the build up of heat inside the casing without being too noisy.
I agree. I have my fan turned almost all of the way down using the speed control and it stays very cool inside while remaining completely silent.

I also applied arctic silver to the heat sink in mine, which helped. Complete overkill of course, since it requires de-soldering the heat sink. I was in doing a recap anyways though.
Yup normally the label should face out.
Thanks for verifying this. I'll go ahead and flip mine around. Now that I think about it, it does make sense to exhaust from the fan side, so that cool air is pulled in from the heat sink side.

That heatsink is for the audio amplifier, which you won't be using if you're using the RCA plugs.

You just wasted good thermal compound on something that doesn't even get hot. :)
You're definitely right that I'm the king of pointless preventative maintenance. Oh well, it's there if the kit ever goes back in to a real cab, and I have a tick where if I see a heat-sink, it gets AS.

Hello fellow community members,

I am planning on purchasing a Papst 612FL since some folks have had good experiences with it. Still, I am open to alternatives since the price of this fan has gone up over the time. Also, I would like to know how to open the A Board in order to access the fan.

Thanks in advance

I am planning on purchasing a Papst 612FL since some folks have had good experiences with it. Still, I am open to alternatives since the price of this fan has gone up over the time. Also, I would like to know how to open the A Board in order to access the fan.

Thanks in advance
To open the board you just need the right screwdriver to remove the big screws that hold it together. It may also be needed to remove (or break) the security bolt that holds boards A and B. Once you remove the screws, it's easy and kind of obvious how to replace the fan.

I have 3 612FL, two in Naomis and one in CPS2.. not cheap but good stuff (industrial quality)

There's nothing wrong with the original fan on the CPS2 lol.

And you can even down speed it replacing it's power source with 5V instead of 12V. Acoustic problem solved and the board doesn't heat enough to have problems with the reduced airflow if it's not into a cab.

Thanks in advance
Almost a year later and you still haven't bought a replacement fan? Maaaaannn, buy the Papst, you won't regret it for sure. You can nicely desolder the wires underneath the sticker of the original fan and reuse it for your Papst fan. And yes, it is very quiet, big difference with the original jet engine! Even though Oliviera's option is also a good one and besides that also cheaper ;)

I've started to consider using CPS2 fans from dead boards to cool PCs. Because they're ball bearing fans, they're virtually indestructible.

There's nothing wrong with the original fan on the CPS2 lol.

And you can even down speed it replacing it's power source with 5V instead of 12V. Acoustic problem solved and the board doesn't heat enough to have problems with the reduced airflow if it's not into a cab.
This! I got a resistor of the appropriate strength and put that inline with the 12V DC and it basically eliminated the horrible noise while still putting out a great deal of airflow.

The original one is louder than a jet, for gods sake :)

Papst is better in every sense ;)

Thanks in advance
Almost a year later and you still haven't bought a replacement fan? Maaaaannn, buy the Papst, you won't regret it for sure. You can nicely desolder the wires underneath the sticker of the original fan and reuse it for your Papst fan. And yes, it is very quiet, big difference with the original jet engine! Even though Oliviera's option is also a good one and besides that also cheaper ;)
LOL! I just have too much stuff now. I am probably buying the Papst for 20 bucks. Yikes. Also, I am not gonna solder or desolder anything. So I need the 2 pin option.

You could also take Leo's advice and just add a resistor or fan speed controller to the original before you shell out $20.

Back