What's new
Hello fellow community members,

I am planning on purchasing a Papst 612FL since some folks have had good experiences with it. Still, I am open to alternatives since the price of this fan has gone up over the time. Also, I would like to know how to open the A Board in order to access the fan.

Thanks in advance
Almost a year later and you still haven't bought a replacement fan? Maaaaannn, buy the Papst, you won't regret it for sure. You can nicely desolder the wires underneath the sticker of the original fan and reuse it for your Papst fan. And yes, it is very quiet, big difference with the original jet engine! Even though Oliviera's option is also a good one and besides that also cheaper ;)
LOL! I just have too much stuff now. I am probably buying the Papst for 20 bucks. Yikes. Also, I am not gonna solder or desolder anything. So I need the 2 pin option.
You'll pretty much have to solder if you want to put in a 612FL, because you won't have the right connector for the CPS2 A board otherwise.

As mentioned above, the ticket is to remove the wiring/connector from the original fan, then solder that onto the 612FL.

Thank you. I just got a fan controller with a 3 pin connector. How do I open the A-Board? There screws that I have to unscrew have this star shape. Where can I buy the right tool to unscrew these type of screws?

Thank you. I just got a fan controller with a 3 pin connector. How do I open the A-Board? There screws that I have to unscrew have this star shape. Where can I buy the right tool to unscrew these type of screws?
You can buy a Torx security screwdriver set from somewhere like Sears; I forget the exact size used by CPS2, but someone else can chime in with that.

Personally I just use a small flathead screw driver and wedge it in there, then unscrew carefully. Works fine.

Thank you for your help. I just used a flat screw driver and installed the 3 pin fanmate controller. I just plugged the 3 pin connector the 2 pins of the board. I cannot regulate the fan speeds. Please advise.

I replaced the original CPS2 fan with the famous EBM PAPST 612FL. I only did so because I mainly use a supergun to hook my system to my RGB TV. If I had a cabinet I would have left the stock fan for sure, as it's built like a tank.

Can anyone who has modded the OEM fan post some photos on what needs to be done, exactly? I want to try to avoid carving more gashes into my CPS2 boards, so if there's some way to do it with an in-line resistor, for instance, that works as well. ;)

EDIT: Answered my own question, 0.5W 56ohm resistor in-line on the fan's hot wire will do the trick. Reference here and here.

Last edited:
Can anyone who has modded the OEM fan post some photos on what needs to be done, exactly? I want to try to avoid carving more gashes into my CPS2 boards, so if there's some way to do it with an in-line resistor, for instance, that works as well. ;)
A potentiometer is one way to go, or hook the original fan to a 5v line instead of 12v

I went the Papst replacement route and when I booted it up the first time, I thought the Papst was defective, it was so quiet compared to the original ;)

Yeah get the Papst. I got it from Element 14. It’s around 25 bucks but if you are looking for a quiet and almost seamsless solution, this is the way to go. If it had a 2 pin connector then there is nothing to do. Get the 25 bucks Pabst, you won’t regret it.

+1 more for the pabst. If you are a supergun player you will love it.

I put a Sunon Maglev in mine. It was 1/3 of the price of the Papst. Totally silent as well.

The Papst is $45 in Australia with the connector on it and more power, $29 with bare wires (gotta love Australia tax)

The Sunon MagLev is $8, has a greater airflow and is only slightly louder (25.2cfm/32.5dBA vs 15.9cfm/27dBA) for $8 Sunon/$45 Papst

Last edited:
The Papst is $45 in Australia with the connector on it and more power, $29 with bare wires (gotta love Australia tax)

The Sunon MagLev is $8, has a greater airflow and is only slightly louder (25.2cfm/32.5dBA vs 15.9cfm/27dBA) for $8 Sunon/$45 Papst
It's weird they aren't there anymore but a few months ago I bought these for $21aus delivered from Germany.

Attachments

• pabst.JPG
    pabst.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 308
There's one for $24.50 delivered on eBay from Germany, that's not too bad. But nem seems to be happy with the Sunon do it gives people a cheaper option as well - the fan doesn't bother me enough inside the cab to replace it.... Yet

Gonna be replacing my cps2 and naomi fans with pabst this week. Is it safe to test the new fan without using the B board? I just want to open it up the A board, replace, hook up to supergun and power it on and expect right airflow and quieter noise.

And what is the correct airflow for cps2 and naomi? Is it supposed to blow inside?

Just want to say a quick thanks to all who advised above on CPS2 fan replacements.
Mine arrived today, so I took the plunge opened up the base board, gave it a decent clean and fitted the new fan.
In the end I went for a 'Gelid Silent 6' - about 7 UKP from Amazon.
Pretty pleased with the result.. my CPS2 has gone from hovercraft on wind-up, to the sound of a quiet desk fan.
The airflow is more gentle than the stock fan, but it's not like we're running this stuff for 16hrs a day, covered in crud and in the heat of a tropical beach bar.

Next up.. B board battery replacement..

fan-done.jpg

Back