What's new
Yeah, i am sure I am going to catch some crap for this, but I really do not like the CPS2 case... I much prefer my PCB's be exposed... and the design of the A+B just makes things worse IMHO.

If I remove my PCB's and leave them exposed in a cabinet, do I even need to bother with cooling? Especially in a home arcade setting?
if you dont like the original cps2 case maybe you will like the one hursit is making

CPS-2 Custom Metal Case -Pre-Orders open now

That does look ... admittedly ... badass.

But a little overkill for something sitting inside a Dynamo arcade cabinet.

:D

I'd be interested to see how hot the boards actually get, should really consider getting the flir camera addon for my phone. I know when I have changed out model3 boards they have been quite hot to touch I was actually concerned there was a component about to fail.

Anyway if you are going to remove the active cooling solution you really need to mitigate it somehow whether that be passive heat sinks on chips, air flow through cabinet although that's hardly scientific by any means. For what CPS2 gear costs and without any actual proof otherwise i'd just keep the case.

To whoever suggested the Gelid Silent 6 fan: a big thank you!

I've installed it today, it was a very tight fit but it worked in the end.

It's still a bit noisy but I had no choice as I have to put it inside my Astro City cab, so the other fans were not an option. Definitely a huge upgrade to the super noisy standard fan which was driving me crazy.

I've compared the two and it seemed to me that the Gelid is just a little bit less powerful but it should be ok as my longest play sessions rarely go over 2 hours and when my friends are in it doesn't go to more than 6 hours straight.

All of my CPS2 boards have low RPM fans and I've had them installed in an arcade, some have been in constant use for over three years, even 10 hours straight. That in addition to the fact that many of the boards I've bought from Japan originally had seized fans and who knows how long they've been run in that state.

Point is I don't think you have to worry about silent fans in home use.

They're also extremely expensive on sites in Australia, but can be bought very cheap from the UK, just the way it goes I guess.

All of my CPS2 boards have low RPM fans and I've had them installed in an arcade, some have been in constant use for over three years, even 10 hours straight. That in addition to the fact that many of the boards I've bought from Japan originally had seized fans and who knows how long they've been run in that state.

Point is I don't think you have to worry about silent fans in home use.
So would it be fine if I lowered the voltage of the fan to make it less intrusive? Even if I have it inside my cab?

So would it be fine if I lowered the voltage of the fan to make it less intrusive? Even if I have it inside my cab?
Here are the specs of the Sunon fan that some of the guys here have:

HA60151V4-1000U-A99, 21.46m3/h, 14.5dBA

That fan is whisper quiet.

Compare that to the specs of the Gelid and make your own conclusion.

I've bought and installed 3 of those now. The airflow is good, you can barely hear it outside a cab and certainly can't hear it inside and they're well priced.

You can buy them from Digikey for about $12AUD each

Here are the specs of the Sunon fan that some of the guys here have:

HA60151V4-1000U-A99, 21.46m3/h, 14.5dBA

That fan is whisper quiet.

Compare that to the specs of the Gelid and make your own conclusion.
Thanks for the specs!

The Gelid pumps 27.2 compared to the 21.46 of the Sunon and has a noise level of 24dBA. I have one of those multi-volt PSU with lots of steps, I'll try lowering the voltage to the point where the sound becomes slightly less intrusive and then calculate the resistor size.

The Gelid pumps 27.2 compared to the 21.46 of the Sunon and has a noise level of 24dBA. I have one of those multi-volt PSU with lots of steps, I'll try lowering the voltage to the point where the sound becomes slightly less intrusive and then calculate the resistor size.
Remember that the fan will need more juice when starting (as opposed to running). So start it up a few times from a dead stop when you've found your voltage.

All good, 27Ω resistor to drop the voltage to 6V and it's done. Perfectly silent, still good airflow.

Tried starting it up 3-4 times and all went well, so I should be set.

I’ve been considering installing one of these fans along with this temp based fan controller (pic and link below) in my CPS2 once my Darksoft Multi arrives. Anyone have experience with these cheap temp probe based Pwm controllers?

Icstation 12V 4 Wire PWM PC Case CPU Fan Thermostat Speed Controller with Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SLWWXL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_O6NKCbPWD73J2

Attachments

• 5BEB571C-DADD-48E4-9FB1-7D606686D095.png
    5BEB571C-DADD-48E4-9FB1-7D606686D095.png
    359.5 KB · Views: 188
I think fan controllers are unnecessary.

If you use a good quality low-noise fan such as EBM/Papst, Sunon, they will provide decent airflow.

Both 2-pin or 3-pin fans will work, as long as you keep the ground wire to the left (closer to the edge of the board) -- sorry, I don't have a pic right now.
To make things easier to explain: if you place your board with the fan facing up, the left pin is G and the right pin is 12V.

The yellow tacho/sensor wire can be left out, it's not necessary to ground it (or to snip the wire) in this case.

Last edited:
I’ve been considering installing one of these fans along with this temp based fan controller (pic and link below) in my CPS2 once my Darksoft Multi arrives. Anyone have experience with these cheap temp probe based Pwm controllers?

Icstation 12V 4 Wire PWM PC Case CPU Fan Thermostat Speed Controller with Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SLWWXL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_O6NKCbPWD73J2
Interesting, I've found one from China on eBay for 3€, might give it a shot just for fun.

All good, 27Ω resistor to drop the voltage to 6V and it's done. Perfectly silent, still good airflow.

Tried starting it up 3-4 times and all went well, so I should be set.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but using a 27Ω resitor will generate 10.11 Celcius heat units per hour. It's not much, but isn't it a counter-sense to increase heat while reducing airflow?

Wouldn't a slower / quieter fan do the job? They're so cheap, anyways...

anybody with the silent 6 gelid can take a photo of how the pins should be connected?

Back