What's new
If it uses u8 and u10 then that's a ROM-2 BOARD.

The Korean ROMs are only 512 and the few Korean games I have were English language so you could try swapping Korean ROMs onto your GP4 using 27c4001s

FWIW all of my PCBs were screen for 27c4001 even if they used 27c801s

I don't think I've ever seen one labeled "ROM-3-BOARD" but I also don't have a huge amount of experience with these so I don't know how uncommon that is.

Last edited:
If it uses u8 and u10 then that's a ROM-2 BOARD.
Are you sure there? Your one post says "on Rom-2-Boards it's u8 and u10 (1MB each)" but these are actually 27c040 eproms, 512k at U8 and U10 on the ROM-BOARD

On ROM-3-BOARD it had 1MB at u4 and u6 (verified in mame)

All the chips check out with known dumps in mame. So in short ROM-BOARD has 512k at U8/U10 and ROM-3-BOARD has 1M at U4/U6.

I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert I just like documenting these things.

Are you sure there? Your one post says "on Rom-2-Boards it's u8 and u10 (1MB each)" but these are actually 27c040 eproms, 512k at U8 and U10 on the ROM-BOARD
I was mistaken on my earlier post. my later post clears up which games use which board and which rom size.

the board type only determines the layout of the chips, but they could use either size.

Interesting that yours has 27c040 I'll need to see if any of mine use those.

Here is an archive of images from ROM-BOARD and ROM-3-BOARD. The file is 47mb

http://photosuckit.com/images/kaneko.zip

CRCs map to the right game(s) in mame but of course mame files have different locations as expected. Here's my crc's to rom location if anyone cares.

94cb1fb7 gp4j1_u08.BIN
919a3893 gp4j1_u10.BIN

c6938c3f GPSEU6.BIN
e764177a GPSOU4.BIN

Got my 27c4001 chips in and successfully converted my Japanese Puzz Loop to USA and converted my Saru Kani to European Vs Block Breaker.

from what I can gather there's no significant difference between a 27c040 and 27c4001

With the Exception of Sengeki Striker that's all of my games converted that have other regions to convert to. I doubt there is much benefit to converting Sengeki from Japanese to Asian Region.

yeah they're interchangeable. I try to stick to ST chips (m27c4001) as in my experience they program the most reliably. I've had really mixed luck or high failure rates on old AMD chips especially. Maybe just my luck.

yeah they're interchangeable. I try to stick to ST chips (m27c4001) as in my experience they program the most reliably. I've had really mixed luck or high failure rates on old AMD chips especially. Maybe just my luck.
Same here, though I wonder if the problematic brands (Texas instruments too) are less reliable or if the Top programmers just don't like them.

Doesn't really matter though because the ST chips always work great.

im going to burn the unibios for a friend hope this fixes his problem.

His JP board only plays KR games.....

Thanks @drfunk2k, I’m going to post up More details here, @twistedsymphony has suggested first, because determining the board still seems weird

I think I have 2 Korean boards and 1 Japanese

*assuming japanese board because the lack of korea on the bottom.

*korean boards
FYc1ATu.jpg

ZNxGM7m.jpg
2SWJujf.jpg

More close up details here: imgur.com/a/vK8vf88

*assuming japanese board because the lack of korea on the bottom.
that's not a safe assumption. I've had boards from every region without the region silk-screened on the bottom. Look at post 5 in this thread for a more appropriate way to ID the PCB type.

and the location of a chip to the right of the capacitors is different.
That's what I used to determine the boards I have since they looked similar to the japanese boards. I'm not good at finding waldo, but I couldn't determine what 3 resistors were missing on the korea boards either, based on those two images.

I ended up burning the multibios chip (supernova modbios korea) for my korean board. As expected it played all my korean carts, S and the two SUs. However, when I was trying to play Gals Panic S3, it FINALLY booted, but with some graphical glitches. Is this common or will this only work on a japanese board? I’m getting one shipped soon from ebay just to test and make sure its not the motherboard. If it still doesn’t work on the correct motherboard, I will be sending this back it to @ArcSys101 for a refund. I’m hoping it’s the motherboard and NOT the cartridge.

Update: I ended up using @undamned’s board, which is pristine and uses an official japanese rom. The Japanese game that came with it, Saru Kani Hamu Zou, played flawlessly. Unfortunately, it still produced the same graphical errors when playing S3. This cart is most likely damaged.

https://imgur.com/a/oZYoBL2

6ghJWVw.jpg

5QcFQsz.jpg

qnbNYNw.jpg

Hi, i have a European Nova Board with Puzz Loop Cart... I want a Multi Region Bios on it and had erased the original Bios and burned the japanese modbios from the MAME Bios Set. The Board Boots fine with the European Cartridge in there.
The Modbios is normal for japanese only Mainboards? I wondering it work with my board. I dont have a other cart to test... I hope it will work with japan cart. So i want to try to convert my puzz loop to a cyvern

Probably working fine, I did exactly the same with an asian mobo and cart. The board played japanese and euro carts fine.

Back