What's new

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
This is a system that I love. Has lots of cool games, is compact and comes from Taito What else do you want?

I will certainly make a multigame for this system. Until this happens, please post here your ideas, suggestions or any other feedback that you may have.

I just wanted to show support. I have a Taito F3 japanese mobo and even a dead game.
I just would love the multi to be able to fit into a dead game case. That would be awesome.

This project will happen, but I'm not sure about many things yet. Maybe guys you can post how you'd like it to be, so I get your feedback when I get onto it.

I'm more excited about the Neo multi, but I would also be up for an F3 multi. Love to see it in a case, but I'm sure I can find something to repurpose if necessary, as long as it fits with no or minimal modification (like the stv cart)

Personally the LCD board from your cps2 cart would be nice, but unnecessary I think - F3 has a smaller set, more like stv than cps2 with its many different regions and sets and hacks and such, so doing it with dip switches would probably be fine if it keeps the cost lower.

Good point. I'd actually would like to do it with a menu, if time allows....but if not it will be either LCD or dip switches.

Feel free to post your preference:
A) LCD
B) Jumpers
C) On Screen Menu

Maybe worth doing a poll on this? Here's my 2 cents anyway :)

1. LCD
2. Jumpers/DIP
3. On screen menu

Last edited:
I don't really see how an "on screen menu" would work with the Taito F3. It's a rather slow system to recognize that the rom board has changed (the screen will stay blank until it's done its boot check after a cartridge change, from what I've seen). It's also a very finicky system when it comes to the voltage, so it's really easy to think that the system isn't working (even if the fan is spinning) because you aren't getting a picture due to the voltage or a loose connection.

I'd personally go for Jumpers (easiest as it's a very small game list) or an LCD screen (very quick and easy to change games). Those two options work best as you can then just pick a game and keep it stored as the default one for a while without having to worry about constantly pick the game you want to play.

So my vote would be...
A) Jumpers
B) LCD

For the actual multi cartridge itself, it'd be really nice if it was a board or two that you could just plug into the Taito F3's motherboard instead of needing a game cartridge to piggy-back it off of.

This is a system that I love. Has lots of cool games, is compact and comes from Taito What else do you want?
I loooove the Taito F3 as well and am really excited to finally see a multi-cart for this system because it would mean finally getting to play the unreleased prototype games outside of mame! (And also having a way to play Rayforce that doesn't involve tracking down a $800 pcb or paying for a conversion cart is always a plus.)

Last edited:
So my vote would be...
A) Jumpers
B) LCD

For the actual multi cartridge itself, it'd be really nice if it was a board or two that you could just plug into the Taito F3's motherboard instead of needing a game cartridge to piggy-back it off of.

I loooove the Taito F3 as well and am really excited to finally see a multi-cart for this system because it would mean finally getting to play the unreleased prototype games outside of mame! (And also having a way to play Rayforce that doesn't involve tracking down a $800 pcb or paying for a conversion cart is always a plus.)
My guess is that price will be around $300 and it'll be a brand new PCB that replaces the original one. However, it should have the right size so it can fit in a Red F3 case.

I'm surprised about your answer on jumpers. Jumpers ise definitely more simple and economic than LCD.

In mu opinion, the solution applied for the Multi CPS2 is the best I've seen and used by far.
Using a separate LCD screen, independent from the original is the way to go.
It allows the original system to behave like an original cartridge, allowing you not have to choose a game every time you boot up.

It's a killer feature from my point of view, and more accurate to the original.
a game screen selection on the system has its benefit but in a regular home usage, it makes you come in the "what I am gonna play today ?" issue.
plenty choice ruins the pleasure of unique single game forced choice you've got when you owned the original.

So the LCD screen is a good compromise between choice and respect to the original way of gaming.

Bearing in mind what @aoiddr said about the problems with a menu, I would vote LCD, followed by Jumpers (unless the cost difference is astronomical -- on a $300 flash cart, what's a $20 difference y'know?), followed by On-screen menu.

It would be great if the same model LCD screen as the CPS2 multicart is used. This way, you can have the screen mounted in the cabinet, and just unplug it from the system being replaced. Unless you mount it to our PCB.

My pick would be:
1. On-screen menu
2. LCD
3. Jumpers

I haven't seen this idea suggested yet, but if the on-screen menu ends up being implemented, maybe have some way to auto-boot to the last played game upon bootup after a few second timer? Sort of like windows boot options prompt - press any button to in the menu to stop the "timer" so you can choose something aside from the default option (last played rom). This might also be nice on the NeoGeo multi. :D

I'd love to see this become a reality too. IIRC there are a few Taito F3 games that weren't released in cartridge format but in a single board version and it would be great to have all of them in a single cart.

As for the game selection method, I'd go for the on-screen menu if I was able to choose. If it weren't possible, between LCD and Jumpers, any would be fine.

Good luck Darksoft with this project too!

I'd love to see this become a reality too. IIRC there are a few Taito F3 games that weren't released in cartridge format but in a single board version and it would be great to have all of them in a single cart.

As for the game selection method, I'd go for the on-screen menu if I was able to choose. If it weren't possible, between LCD and Jumpers, any would be fine.

Good luck Darksoft with this project too!
Thanks for feedback. Let's go step by step. Now I have DECO and NEOGEO on my mind :)

In mu opinion, the solution applied for the Multi CPS2 is the best I've seen and used by far.
Using a separate LCD screen, independent from the original is the way to go.
It allows the original system to behave like an original cartridge, allowing you not have to choose a game every time you boot up.

It's a killer feature from my point of view, and more accurate to the original.
a game screen selection on the system has its benefit but in a regular home usage, it makes you come in the "what I am gonna play today ?" issue.
plenty choice ruins the pleasure of unique single game forced choice you've got when you owned the original.

So the LCD screen is a good compromise between choice and respect to the original way of gaming.
Agreed. Too much easy choice kills lengthy gaming.

It would be great if the same model LCD screen as the CPS2 multicart is used. This way, you can have the screen mounted in the cabinet, and just unplug it from the system being replaced. Unless you mount it to our PCB.
I agree that this would be a cost saving also for those that want to buy many of your multi game carts :) but that said, I also like the idea of the on screen menu ;)

Back