What's new
giphy.gif

Already got my carton box label ready :)

Awesome news, DS!

Will the f3 solution require an existing 'b' (game) board, or just an F3 mobo?

Regardless I'm stoked!

Sigh...time to jump up and find an f3 board for real now. Maybe 2....:( It's a hard life with all these expensive toys...but i'll manage. :D

Can't wait for this one...honestly. Day1 purcahse.

A Taito F3 Multicart?

Wow, I never even knew I wanted this...

Yet, I just bought an F3 motherboard, so I guess I do!

You can count me in for one... (I guess I'm committed now, as I don't even own a cart to play on it.)

So, should we start clamoring for someone to reproduce the cart cases (probably in sections, they're huge for a 3d printer) NOW, or...?

:D

So, should we start clamoring for someone to reproduce the cart cases (probably in sections, they're huge for a 3d printer) NOW, or...?
I was thinking de-case the mobo too, and come up with a custom enclosure (maybe the plexiglass wraps with Derick's help/new toy)?
Etched "Taito F3" and "Darksoft" logos in it... :D

I was thinking de-case the mobo too, and come up with a custom enclosure (maybe the plexiglass wraps with Derick's help/new toy)?Etched "Taito F3" and "Darksoft" logos in it... :D
Yes we can :)

Starting a new job in mid january, so I will have extra time to work on arcade projects. My current job takes up all my "extra" time so decided to do something about that :D

@deibit Did it myself.

The buck converters I use are high quality and almost specific to the requirements needed for this application, they are not the low cost step downs you find on ebay (although I have successfully used those). These can operate at 113 F ambient temperature with just natural convection cooling at maximum current output which is 6A at 3.3v. This is more than enough current output to power things up, I think a naomi with netdimm setup draws 4-4.5amps IIRC. But if you are worried about extra heat, I guess you can always mount a fan or heat sinks for extra heat dissipation. I will have to get a setup going and take some thermal readings. Man, I should really write all this stuff down and take pics as I do these little mods, but no time :)

Are there any updates to the F3 motherboard that need to be done to use the multicart once it's made?

Multi bios, firmware, battery?

I'm totally new to this one.

Thanks,

Brent

The only mod I've done to mine is to make them multi-region by filing away the little plastic lumps in the connectors so Japanese & USA carts will fit - took about 5 minutes to do with the dremel.

Oh and change the fan because it was a real squealer.

Starting a new job in mid january, so I will have extra time to work on arcade projects. My current job takes up all my "extra" time so decided to do something about that
Going back to being "Magic Derick2k"? Crap, I have two F3's right now. One earmarked for the eventual multi. One was to be a conversion to Rayforce. Soooo many projects.

De-case the Mobo? What, you mean the plastic bit on the bottom? That hardly counts!

... And is broken on mine anyway please someone make an acrylic base for it I'll totally buy it :D

Hey @Darksoft,

The F3, like the CPS2, uses the switchable B-board/cartridge approach for playing different games on the same system. To ply the CPS2 multi, a B-board donor was needed. With the CPS2 multi, that wasn't such a big deal since at that point there were so many suicided B-boards laying around there was no guilt of using a B-board as a donor for the CPS2 multi. But suicided Taito F3 cartridges don't exist. So the guilt factor comes back into play.

The F3 cartridges do look like just rom boards. No processors in sight, AFAIK. Does that mean there shall be no need to sacrifice a cartridge for the F3? And the F3 multi design is effectively a cartridge that plugs right into the F3 mainboard?

Last edited:
De-case the Mobo? What, you mean the plastic bit on the bottom? That hardly counts!

... And is broken on mine anyway please someone make an acrylic base for it I'll totally buy it :D
Me too!

I'll even pay someone $25 to design it.

Back