What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I was looking in the AO wiki and it says that the 256 has a 16-pin header for the controllers, but my Cyberlead has a completely different connector coming off of the ports in the control panel for them, I assume that's designed for 246?. Does anyone sell an adapter from one to the other?

Last edited:
I do not know where such an adapter can be purchased but I do have the cords for my 256 that work with all versions of Tekken 5.

I know the System 246c (The one that looks more like 256 and lacks the standard controller ports) used a special adapter for connecting the ps2 controllers, I would figure what you have there is for a 246c.

If you want more information on the 256 ports, I have a couple Tekken 5 videos on my youtube channel where I go a bit more in depth.

As long as the signals are the same, and you have the proper connectors, making some sort of an adapter would probably be possible.

Here is the video where I show how I hookup the Tekken 5 board, including the controller cords:

I show the controller cable connection around the 5 minute mark in that video.

Last edited:
I bought one of those cheap usb ps2 controller adapters for PC and removed the usb cable to wire in the 256 connector. That way the controllers themselves arent modded.

Are you just trying to hook up your 256 or are you specifically wanting PS2 controller ports?

The 256 supports JVS out of the box so any JVS I/O should work. The port on the side of the 256 is just for the namco I/O board but its not required.

Are you just trying to hook up your 256 or are you specifically wanting PS2 controller ports?

The 256 supports JVS out of the box so any JVS I/O should work. The port on the side of the 256 is just for the namco I/O board but its not required.
I would like to use the PS2 controller and memory card ports on the cabinet if possible.

Controllers should work plug and play, as I recall. I'm not sure if all games support them but 1st party Namco fighting games certainly do.

The "memory card" is actually a security key, not a traditional Playstation 2 memory card (even though they look identical). The only game where this is an exception is Soul Calibur 2. That game was issued with a memory card to save player data. Once it is installed (in port 2) there is no need to ever remove it. Installing ports on the cyberload would be pointless if you're targeting System 246.

As I recall, older Namco hardware used actual PS1 memory cards similar to how Naomi had VMU writing hardware available. I think it was possibly System 12 (tekken 3 / Soul Calibur era). Those games are what the Cyberlead memory card reader and LED Marquee are intended to interface with.

Controllers should work plug and play, as I recall. I'm not sure if all games support them but 1st party Namco fighting games certainly do.
maybe I'm missing something but on a 256 if controllers are plug and play where do you plug them in
namco-system-256-bundle-tekken_1_aedeea878ad7882493a5b82cdae7dd71.jpg
?

maybe I'm missing something but on a 256 if controllers are plug and play where do you plug them in
namco-system-256-bundle-tekken_1_aedeea878ad7882493a5b82cdae7dd71.jpg
?
Sorry I should have clarified: Namco 246 has PS2 controller ports (its actually the same magic gate/ controller port cluster used on stock PS2 units). Namco 256 only has Magic Gate (memory card). As mentioned above, you can build a harness to add in ports. An official Namco one likely exists, but I've never seen it kicking around Yahoo or Forums.

Just a quick mention, the port that the controller ports harness connects too is the white one above the dip switches, under the dvd drive.

Where as, those set of white ports on the left side of the machine are for the data card readers.

So the real question is does anyone know how either of these work with the Cyberlead as it has an entirely different connector than either the 246 or 256?

So the real question is does anyone know how either of these work with the Cyberlead as it has an entirely different connector than either the 246 or 256?
It likely does, the Cyberlead cabinet predates Namco 2x6 hardware by at least 5 years, maybe more. There's a chance the pinout is the same but I highly doubt it. Cyberlead memory card ports were intended for Playstation 1 era games (and PSone memory cards to bring data home!) I think Namco System 12, maybe some such as Gnet, FX1, ZN1 and ZN2.

It likely does, the Cyberlead cabinet predates Namco 2x6 hardware by at least 5 years, maybe more. There's a chance the pinout is the same but I highly doubt it. Cyberlead memory card ports were intended for Playstation 1 era games (and PSone memory cards to bring data home!) I think Namco System 12, maybe some such as Gnet, FX1, ZN1 and ZN2.
Ah-ha. Aimed for PS1, not PS2. While there's a lot of info on the Cyberlead, there's seemingly little on the Cyberlead II and/or the upgrade kit with the PS/DC ports.

I'd guessed that since it also has Dreamcast ports that it was PS2, not PS1 since they're the same generation of console, because that would only make sense.

I have some System12 games, but none of them say anything about controller ports in the menus or manuals. I'll have to keep an eye out for more. Maybe hunt down some manuals for Gnet games and see if those mention it too.

It likely does, the Cyberlead cabinet predates Namco 2x6 hardware by at least 5 years, maybe more.
it's my understanding that Cyberlead was 1998, Cyberlead II was 2000 and 246 was out as early as 2001

The Cyberlead II is really when they started adding the ports (at least from the factory).

So while System 12 was the main target system for the cab (hence the marquee integration on that platform) it's not a stretch to think that when the CL2 came out they didn't have sys246 in mind already.

if there really is PS controller port integration on the G-Net and similar hardware I'd love to know how that works though.

Great news everyone!!! I’m making some PlayStation controller adapters for the system 256!!! Anyone interested???

Back