What's new
I've ordered pins and connectors for the .156" connector for audio power - I think I have a connector that might fit for the data connector so I'll try that :)

Only 2 years later but finally got around to building the wiring harnesses for sound out through the JAMMA edge!

Now I need to upgrade to version 2.3 :D

Only 2 years later but finally got around to building the wiring harnesses for sound out through the JAMMA edge!

Now I need to upgrade to version 2.3 :D
Let me know once you figure it out, I have to upgrade as well.

I am happy to report my little arcade project tonight was a success! First off, a huge reason for me getting into collecting my favorite arcade games is the unequaled SOUND. Emulation just plain demolishes it and doesn’t do the real hardware justice. After much research, I came across a scan of a supplemental document from Atari regarding the CAGE audio board on Primal Rage (see attachment). Unlike the main manual (for some weird reason), this addendum shows that pins 1 - 4 on the CAGE audio board connector (JSPK) are actually line level outputs (woot)! I am very happy to report that these pins actually have the FULL SOUND MIX (stereo tweeter and woofer signals, as the stock cabinets had two upper tweeters and a subwoofer near the coin door). Unlike the usual setup folks are generally doing which is either tapping into the left and right powered speaker outputs or just the powered left channel directed to the game board audio connector (JAUD) for sub-standard JAMMA mono—and I say this because it is the worst way you can handle the sound for this game as it’s not even true mono when you do the + and - left channel. That is what my board came with btw. Yeck. Essentially, what you have there is 1/4 of the sound that way and 1/2 of the sound (or arguably 2/3) when you just tap into the powered stereo outputs; the sound addendum details that you won’t have the bass channels either way unless you sum the tweeter and woofer signals for each channel. After reading that, my hope was that the line out pins would have everything summed and unpowered, and they do! YESSSSSS I now haz the bassy Primal Rage dino thwomps that I remember back when I was a teenager at the arcades XD

Since I use an OSSC which utilizes a 3.5mm audio jack for audio input to inject into a HDMI signal, I chopped the male end off (uh huh huh huh) a cheap stereo mini jack extension cable as well as a standard JST XH connector, stripped the wires, and soldered them to the first four wires of the JST female end. It’s a 6-pin connector, so I just cut off its extra two wires. This way, I can just unplug my 3.5mm audio jack from the Parsec and plug it directly into my hacked cable connected to pins 1-4 on JSPK of the audio board. Damn, does it sound good now....

P.S. Thanks for all your super-useful posts, videos, Analogue CFW, and all, SmokeMonster! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!1 This post is the least I can do to help people in return with a simple-ish solution to best enjoy this game’s sound.

Attachments

• 76187813-DD2B-44CA-B8E8-5751DE237C0D.jpeg
    76187813-DD2B-44CA-B8E8-5751DE237C0D.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Some extra details and a screenshot since someone asked. I’m happy to help folks out in return when I can:

I do have the JNX Rage for the proper button mappings now although I’m not using it for sound due to my self-made audio connector. The JNX Rage does support JAMMA-based mono or stereo if you have the original or a custom Primal Rage sound connector between the soundboard and main board, however. I just don’t know if that includes the subwoofer channel or not, TBH. I basically made my own direct sound output cable just to be safe as I definitely wanted the full sound mix (and it’s worth it; I introduced Primal Rage to a friend today including the massive thwomps when they land or fall on the ground LOL). Plus it was a good soldering learning experience and made me feel accomplished since those headphone jack wires are very tiny and bloody hard to solder 0.o

If your SuperGun has a stereo mini jack sound input, you could probably just do what I did. If not, there’s always ye olde RCA (red and white) audio cables which you can plug into a stereo or TV and chop off and strip the other ends for a custom connector, as well. I think all stereo cables are wired the same. Attached is a shot of the connector portion, where the red wire is connected to pin 1. On a side note, pin 1 is actually the left channel positive output, but my JST connector was just already pre-wired that way, otherwise I’d use a red wire to indicate the right channel if I were fully wiring it 100% myself just for posterity‘s sake.

Anyway, the line-level, non-amplified pinout on the Primal Rage soundboard from right to left (in the orientation of my picture attached) is:

1: L+ [left channel sound]
2: L- [left ch. ground]
3: R+ [right ch. sound]
4: R- [right ch. ground]

My JST connector is 6 pins, and I only needed the four connections above, so I cut off the other two unnecessary wires on it as you can see. One of them is over the “key” which is the pin-less spot on the soundboard output connector anyway (no pin, no connection), and pin 6 is actually the positive amplified left sound channel output for a tweeter in an arcade cabinet, so that one is basically going nowhere because of the other cut cord on the far left of my connector. I then took my cheap, spare stereo mini jack extension cord (6’ male little headphone jack style to female little headphone jack socket), chopped off the male end and stripped its wires, then I soldered the positive and negative JST wires (per the above pinout) matched up with the same polarity in the stereo cable. I’d show that too, but I covered the soldered wire connections with electrical tape to prevent shorts (if that’s even possible) and interference. You can use any stereo audio cable of your choosing—whichever is the most convenient for your HAS/home audio setup. There’s tutorials online that outline how to separate the positive and negative wires for each sound channel, but in short, it’s usually the copper wiring surrounding a red (for right) and white (left) separately shielded wire that are the grounds for each. You just have to unwind the surrounding copper wire and then twist it into it’s own “wire”, becoming the ground for that sound channel as hooked up to your JST. The articles online show this better (and pictures helped me out too).

Attachments

• 28B7D4AC-0446-4752-ADAC-C040711A8C92.jpeg
    28B7D4AC-0446-4752-ADAC-C040711A8C92.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Oh man, thanks for sharing this info guys. I just got a untested Primal Rage boardset, its missing some of the wiring, so will look over the schematics and see what I need to make, hopefully it fires up without issues.

Hit me up if you need any help @Derick2k
Thank you my friend, Im sure I wlll need your help. I don't want to try and fire it up until Im sure it's all connected properly. Also need to see what connectors I need to source, or if someone sells ready-made harnesses.

I just recently made harnesses for mine for sound. I can make you a set if you get stuck :)
Thanks man, appreciated it. Im missing the power & audio harnesses, gonna see what connectors/pins I need to get. Got this board as a throw in with an NBA Hangtime, so.....just hoping it works.

Ok, so I need to duplicate these 2

2021-09-06_16-42-16.jpg

Should not be too hard if I can get proper connectors/pins to alternative ones

They’re all Molex - I believe they are KK

The sizes are

Power (both ends match)
9 position - 0.156”

Sound output - main board (JAUD)
6 position - 0.156”

Sound input on the top board is a Molex connector but I’m not sure of the type. I didn’t use the original one, I used a .100” connector instead and that worked fine.

I also didn’t bother with the stereo/mono setup with the 2 different connectors on the single harness, but the connector type is the same either way that’s just additional wiring and connections at the top board end

Are you getting an image when you boot it? You can still test is working without sound.

Havent fired it up, but figure all it will do is complain about something, it did not come with any harness.

Some pics of the pcb

Primal 1.jpg

Dont let this pic fool you guys this fucking thing is massive I can probably fit like 3x cps3 boards in the same footprint.
Dont think it will fit in the vewlix, not comfortably

Primal 2.jpg
Primal 3.jpg

So I'm missing 3 harnesses all together. have no idea why the previous owner pull them.

You don’t need the auxiliary power to the ROM board at the rear, just the front sound board. And the JAUD connection for sound out of the JAMMA edge

Jesus lol. ordered the connectors to make the 2 harnesses. In the meantime gonna test this baby out and see what happens.

Thanks bro!

Jesus lol. ordered the connectors to make the 2 harnesses. In the meantime gonna test this baby out and see what happens.

Thanks bro!

You definitely need to have 1 set for the sound board. It can’t hurt having a set for the ROM board but it’s not required (or it wasn’t on mine)

Back