Sega Saturn ODEs - Rhea and Phoebe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I saw a post where he says that a lot of people run into issues while updating the fw, and few people actually update the fw due to issues, just because they want to have the latest one. I'm one of the ppl who falls into the last category. Surely there must be a reason to update the firmware, there have to be improvements. And I want those... :D According to him there were no serious bugs to begin with, but hell, I'd like to be able to have the option at the very least.
    • Out of Time
      by gdemu

I've removed all download links to the FW files. I'm probably going to take down the whole Updating section of the site down eventually. The concept of allowing users to update the ODE on their own kind of backfired - I've had to help more people bring their devices back to life after a failed FW update process than there were ever any serious bugs in the software to begin with. And I mean, WAY more.
      • I wanted to make sure I have the lastest version.
      • Something didn't work right after installation.
      • I had problems with my SD card that works OK in other device(s).
      • Games kept crashing and my console reboots on its own.
      These are NOT valid reasons to update the FW. Especially not if you have power supply issues, SD card issues, or have made installation errors.

Plus, too many people just can't follow simple instructions. If step 1 says to rename the file first, and then step 2 to copy it, then you are supposed to do exactly this, in that exact order. And it's not a language barrier either, but I'll leave it at that.

With that rant out of the way - GDEMU orders will open next Saturday, around noon CET.

It was supposed to happen much sooner but... reasons. The actual problem now is I will, again, not be shipping anything in December if I can help it. Trust me, that's a bad idea, even if you'd want a nice XMAS gift. Shipping will resume early January, this worked pretty well this year so let's try it again.

More Rheas are on their way as well, in fact I'm hoping to ship most of those out in January as well. Haven't decided yet when to open orders, I'll let you know once I have some idea how many GDEMUs will need to be shipped.

PS. Pretty please keep the comments civil. I know some people have rather strong opinions about these devices, and me in general. Let it go. These are merely toys you can do without (especially if you find the price too high) and I pity the fools who think otherwise.
      Multis: CPS-1, CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, S16, ST-V, MVS, M72, G-Net, Naomi, TTX2
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

• Hmm yea, I haven't run into any problems with my Phoebe but doesn't mean I won't.

I also have the DocBrown sitting in my closet as well. I put a serious bid down earlier this year and was outbid on that. Gonna have to get serious and spend Cabinet money if I wanna get ahold of a FM Towns Marty it seems.
    • I think the only reason the original device beats the clone is the ability to update the firmware, seems to me like he's shooting at his own feet
      Any Multi MVS bug ? Before asking delete BUFF FILE on the SD card and Reset NVRAM procedure : Power on without cart, Press Start multiple times until it asks to press ABC + Start, Do it, Power off > Done
    • djsheep wrote:

• I wanted to make sure I have the lastest version.
      • Something didn't work right after installation.
      • I had problems with my SD card that works OK in other device(s).
      • Games kept crashing and my console reboots on its own.
      These are NOT valid reasons to update the FW. Especially not if you have power supply issues, SD card issues, or have made installation errors.

Plus, too many people just can't follow simple instructions. If step 1 says to rename the file first, and then step 2 to copy it, then you are supposed to do exactly this, in that exact order. And it's not a language barrier either, but I'll leave it at that.

Umm..... 3 out of 4 of those (4 out of 4 if you're like me and you like keeping things updated) are exactly reasons to update your firmware. Literally any company that makes a product that can have firmware updated will tell you if you have a fault "have you checked you're on the latest firmware/update"

Especially given how much the creator of this product loves helping his customer base, another good reason to try that before reaching out.

Also, why do you need to rename the file first? Why isn't it already named correctly in the first place?
    • archimage wrote:

I think the only reason the original device beats the clone is the ability to update the firmware, seems to me like he's shooting at his own feet

Chinese clone electronics are generally cheaply made so don't be shocked when they eat shit in a couple of years.

Deunan makes great products but the guy just isn't cut out for running a customer-facing "business". I understand that people ask a LOT of stupid questions and are generally demanding and hysterical but that's the nature of the beast. A shame he just won't sell it off or hand off the customer service part to someone else because at the rate he's going, he's just gonna burn out and quit.
    • this remembers me the ps-io situation when they asked the order number to d/l the firmware, makes more sense to me than sending tons of private mails

very strange situations for customers support to see this happening, anyway he's the boss of his project
      Any Multi MVS bug ? Before asking delete BUFF FILE on the SD card and Reset NVRAM procedure : Power on without cart, Press Start multiple times until it asks to press ABC + Start, Do it, Power off > Done
    • archimage wrote:

this remembers me the ps-io situation when they asked the order number to d/l the firmware, makes more sense to me than sending tons of private mails

very strange situations for customers support to see this happening, anyway he's the boss of his project
      But with the PSIO the FW (or menu.sys, don’t remember) is device specific, I remember last time I updated mine I couldn’t find my order number and I used @Sp33dFr34k his files and got an error upon booting a game I was using the incorrect files for my device.

Seems like a lot of unnecessary hassle to include a ‘feature’ like this...
    • Thanks @Sp33dFr34k, download for prosperity. I haven't updated either of my three devices, so these will come in handy next time I revisit them.
      Multis: CPS-1, CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, S16, ST-V, MVS, M72, G-Net, Naomi, TTX2
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile