What's new
Very nice!

For the record, LED was indeed much more friendly to the cabinet power supply ;)

How did I miss this thread, awesome work guys :thumbsup:

Time to finally get some Bishi Bashi panels made for the Vewilx :)

Very nice!

For the record, LED was indeed much more friendly to the cabinet power supply ;)
Thanks. I've got a Lindy PSU which I might use that has 10A/25A peak on the 12v but I think I might go down the LED route anyway. I'll do some trials and see how they both look.

Time to finally get some Bishi Bashi panels made for the Vewilx :)
Nudge nudge, wink wink ;)

Go LED. Trust me. I may have a video on my phone for comparison if you really want it but I did the comparison and hands down LED won.

Even with plenty of 12v to the normal bulbs they have a yellower or dimmer glow to them. That though isn't the worst problem... What I found was normal bulbs suck for quick flashes. They need that split second of warm up. The 12v white LEDs were in fact so bright I moved them to my 5v rail, and they're still both brighter and "instant on / instant off" than the 12v bulbs.

(this reminds me... my bishi bashi panel still has normal bulbs in it. time to fix that!)

Go LED. Trust me. I may have a video on my phone for comparison if you really want it but I did the comparison and hands down LED won.

Even with plenty of 12v to the normal bulbs they have a yellower or dimmer glow to them. That though isn't the worst problem... What I found was normal bulbs suck for quick flashes. They need that split second of warm up. The 12v white LEDs were in fact so bright I moved them to my 5v rail, and they're still both brighter and "instant on / instant off" than the 12v bulbs.
That's decided it then, thanks again!

I'll get some buttons ordered and see what bulbs they use, I imagine they'll be the wedge type. Looking at them now they sure have come a long way in the 10+ years since the last time I used them for a woody MAME cab coin door!

Standard is 161 wedge base, you're right there. Most buttons come with the normal bulb but it was easy to search LED replacements.

llumination wiring was (mostly) straightforward. I never did find a thread with it documented so I just traced it out. Thanks for reaffirming I should just run 12v to all the bulbs and then use the "outputs" for the ground connections. It makes a lot of sense actually.

First I made myself a cable to hook to the cab. One end was DB15 (to hook to the panel) with outputs 1-14 on pins 1-14 and 12v on pin 15. The other end was split to an 8 pin AMP and 20pin (AMP RA?) connector for the type 3 IO.

The net city had a female 8 pin AMP connector from the old type1. Its pinout was basically 12v on pin1, and 6 outputs on pins 2-7 (in what order, I have no idea). So basically, I wired pins 1-6 of the dsub to the amp up for that connector, as well as the 12v which I threw on pin 15. Then output pins 7-14 went to the 20 pin connector for the type 3 IO's additional outputs.

Output number wise they traced out like this (*)

1 - 1P START
2 - 1P DOWN
3 - 2P START (WTF)
4 - 1P LEFT
5 - 1P UP
6 - 1P RIGHT
-
7 - 1P A
8 - 1P B
9 - 2P UP
10 - 2P DOWN
11 - 2P LEFT
12 - 2P RIGHT
13 - 2P A
14 - 2P B

(*)I'm guessing the net city output connector for 1-6 isn't in numerical order, given outputs 7-14 are in the same order as the test menu. I just turned on one light at a time in test mode to map those out real quick.

Thankfully, it was TOTALLY WORTH IT. The lights don't do anything in attract mode, aside from light up if you push a button. But in game mode, they illuminate based on the game you're playing to show you what buttons are "legal" to press. Super helpful on new games or remix mode.
Just in case anyone is looking and needs it in the future, here's the full pinout directly from the Type 3 IO.

Rhythm%20Tengoku%20Pinout-M.png

As you said the buttons don't light up in test mode but the CCFL outputs at least do, I need to do some more testing to see what outputs are used when.

if you haven't found it test mode lets you check lamps one at a time.

Buttons usually light up per menu or minigame to show you valid buttons. If the game uses left, right, and A, then those 3 lamps are lit for that game.

Thanks man. Yeah I used the test mode to map the controls out.

Yeah I saw from your earlier post and from 'play testing :) ' last night that it lights up the controls used, that's definitely really handy. However, I'm more interested of when the CCFL and SPEAKER RGB LEDs are used to see if I can put them to good use.

Ah ok. I just bought a type 3 io. I'm gonna do this as well... On a blast city :) gonna need some leds as well. Can you guys post links to parts for my shopping needs ? :)

Skates if you could provide measurements for your button placements I'll design an overlay that matches it , have YT print a couple and send you one.

Franco, I can rearrange the art based on your cad files and send you a print ready file if you want. I can't have YT print it. Panel outlines are die cut, and I don't think you want to pay for a Sega mini panel die lol.

any chance i can get a panel cut+artwork as well? I'd love to have one of these.

Since I'll have to disassemble my panel to affix the overlay anyway, I'll try to get to that asap so I can send you some good measurements.

My parts all came from twisted quarter... All the illuminated pushbuttons as well as the LED bulbs. I find using their 12v white LED on a 5v rail is perfect. They're way too bright on 12v directly.

Ah ok. I just bought a type 3 io. I'm gonna do this as well... On a blast city :) gonna need some leds as well. Can you guys post links to parts for my shopping needs ? :)

Skates if you could provide measurements for your button placements I'll design an overlay that matches it , have YT print a couple and send you one.

Franco, I can rearrange the art based on your cad files and send you a print ready file if you want. I can't have YT print it. Panel outlines are die cut, and I don't think you want to pay for a Sega mini panel die lol.
Oh, that would be amazing, thanks so much! :D The design's not 100% finalised as yet, I'll probably get all the buttons mounted and then do a drawing to reflect the final positions. If it's ok I'll send it your way once complete? Thanks again!

If it helps, [here's] a screenshot of all of the buttons I bought for both panel types in case you wanted to know those. They all came with micros, bulb holders and LEDs. You should hopefully be able to use the seller ID and item description to find them.

I'm doing some other CAD work for someone at the moment which is linked to this thread. If they don't mind, once it's all complete I'll share those files too :thumbup:

started on mine, picked a Sega Type 2 io, and tried to daisy chain it with my jamma/jvs io and map the outouts.

26597533988_e670bfb1fd_b.jpg

Issues with daisy chaining JVS nodes ( IOs )
1. The outputs are hardcoded to Node 1, I get no lamp outputs when the type2 io is node2
2. player 1 and player 2 gets distributed among nodes , meaning that I can only get player2 to work without wiring modifications.

Looks like I'll have to build Jamma->type2 adapter :/

Anyways , here is the mapping:

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Back