What's new

ArcadeSTG

Student
Reaction score
Do you know any way to install a fresh Operative System on Type x2? For instance a fresh windows XP or a windows 7.

Hi ArcadeSTG,

As far as I know, the OS isn't installed on the X2 itself, but rather on the game drives. It is a windows xp embedded distribution.

I guess you could install windows on it since in essence it really is a PC, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having a X2 right?

regards,
Geert

Tthanks for the reply!

I understand that the OS is installed in the HDD. Mi idea is to have another HDD with a fresh OS where it is possible to install newer versions of direct x or windows. This will enable to launch more PC ased games. The final result will be an HDD that automatically launchs the game BUT with a different windows running.

Totally Doable, id recommend using POS 2009 Sp3. then copy all the drivers out of the sp2 install on the os of nikos mult

POSReady 2009 sounds good! and I am not affraif of the drivers, but my main issue is how to do the installation.

I believe that if start the explorer, plug a ps2 keyboard and ps2 mouse, and launch the installaiton it is not going to boot, right?

Maybe you can temporary connect a dvd drive to the system. I have no idea if the bios allows boot from optical media.

Another option is preparing a harddrive image on a virtual machine as generic as possible (no specific drivers) If you transfer that image to an empty hardrive, it might (or might not) boot on the x2 hardware. Next, you will need to install all the hardware specific drivers.

Personally, I would only try option 2 if option 1 isn't working.

POSReady 2009 sounds good! and I am not affraif of the drivers, but my main issue is how to do the installation.

I believe that if start the explorer, plug a ps2 keyboard and ps2 mouse, and launch the installaiton it is not going to boot, right?
i would use an old system any lga 775 system should work and do the os install on it
the drive should then boot in an x2, i do not know if you can do the install fully on the x2 alone.

I am open to do experimentation, and your ideas are really good. but I am wondering if there is any protection that prevents a fresh install to boot.

I don't know, maybe there must be somthing in the MBR, or the booting files must be in a particular sector, or the bios check someting...

Has anyone done this before?

There is no protection to stop a clean boot of a fresh os whatso ever hence, why you can use a ssd multi in the 1st place

The multiboot image can be “undone” to give you a full xp environment pretty easily. I’m not home but can write up some steps later this week if you would like.

Thank you for your help :)

The multiboot image is a windows XP. right? Ideally I would like to have a windows 7.

its windows xp sp2, you may not be able to get drivers for windows 7 to work on the hardware windows xp sp3 however is for sure douable

Pretty much anything beyond Windows POSReady 2009 not be able to install. It will throw an ACPI (or ACHI) BSOD during installation. Linux version work O-K............

It seems dnphamus13 has experience installing fresh OS in TX2. Too bad W7 is not an option :(

It seems dnphamus13 has experience installing fresh OS in TX2. Too bad W7 is not an option :(
Windows 7 undoubtly is an optioon, its an off the shelf motherboard chipset, its the jvs and com that you would likely not the find drivers that work .

Edit, its the exact reason you can remove the io out of an x2 and install it in a normal pc, like magic it works be it jvs com or fast io, you just need the drivers, nothing is special about the games or the system outside of the io.

Try this:
- Install POS 2009 on a hard drive in another PC with a similar form factor with the drivers and options you need.
- Transplant that hard drive into the X2.

- Add the required drivers needed for X2.

If the hardware is similar, POS 2009 should not have any issues booting on the X2 with the installation performed on another machine.

Here's a brief rundown however I don't have the time to list everything I had to do:

1) You need a XP SP3 iso and copy the i386 directory somewhere as you will need it
2) Expand explorer.exe, notepad.exe, shutdown.exe, taskman.exe and any other utilities you think you might want from i386 into c:\windows\system32 on the multi
3) Load the registry hive from the multi into a different computer and change the default shell to be explorer.exe
4) Move the Run Once registry key to launch ttx shell out, create a bat file that runs this program and put it into always run on startup in the registry

This should at least get your X2 to boot to a windows desktop off the multi image while retaining multi functionality. Be aware however that there is no mouse cursor set and a ton of control panel applets missing so you will have to manually expand them. Don't forget to unload the hive from the computer you edit the registry on before removing the drive. Only PS2 keyboards work.

$20......you should be able to find a SATA based optical drive for about $20

It's going to be a lot trial and error

Last edited:
The x2 JVS board connects to an onboard serial port on the motherboard. You don't need drivers for the JVS board. You might need drivers for the comport.

It also connects to the panel jumper pins. It can turn on the mobo at powerup using the power button pins. It can also reset the mobo using the reset button pins. Not all mobo's have an option in the bios to turn on the system after a power fail. If the cmos battery fails or the bios returns to default for wathever reason, the system might not power on anymore. Using the JVS to power on the system fixes this problem often encountered with embedded pc systems.
The reset can be used as a watchdog system. If for wathever reason the JVS thinks that the pc is no longer running as expected, it can activate the reset in an attempt to bring it back on track.

It should be obvious that both signals are optional and not needed if everything works as expected.

I have no experience with the fast io card. Mayby that one needs a driver, maybe it doesn't.

A note however if you do go about installing windows from a disc - after the system boots up you will want to remove the header that is plugged into the motherboard panel port. The JVS system has an internal watchdog that will power cycle the machine after 15 minutes I believe if it does not see communication across the bus.

Back