What's new

undamned

Multi Baez
Champion
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I think this is about as small as it gets, boys :D

~2" tall. Features: SCSISD, short SCSI cable, angled PCI adapter, caseless cart.

Cable length between connectors is 10", connectors on opposite sides, keys facing inward. If making your own, you actually need more than 10" because each connector consumes about 0.5" after the fold-over retainer clips. The retainer clips will "roll" the connectors to the other side of the cable, so keep that in mind when planning out where you want the keys to end up. I managed to rebuild an original cable, but I really don't think they were intended to be rebuilt (pins can pop out of the connector and plastic clips can break off), so probably best to just order new 50 Pin IDC parts (Digikey, Mouser, etc.).

The 1U PCI riser card style I used is sometimes called "inward" or "reverse" angle, and I believe is the less popular style (most popular style having the connector on the other side). The one I got was a "Star Empery PT191R" from here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/331596048584

The SCSISD is version 5.0 and I'm using self-adhesive nylon standoffs that are really too short so I ended up stacking up double-sided foam tape to mount them. I have some HC-13 standoffs on order from China, but I'm not waiting a month to post a photo :D

I am using CPS3 board revision xyz-3, which has lots of free space due to Capcom doing away with the motherboard's security battery feature. If you have board revision xyz-2, you can still do something similar, but may need taller standoffs for the SCSISD and likely a different cable length, depending on where you mount it.

-ud

Very nice, almost makes me want to buy a CPS3 :)

Nice! Are you planning on putting this into a small enclosure for another consolized project?

Anyone know if that angled PCI adapter works on STV as well?

Nice! Are you planning on putting this into a small enclosure for another consolized project?
Nah, I may have Tek Inovations slice me up some plexis for personal use, though. Jasen's plexi kit looks amazing, but this setup doesn't need something that fancy.
Anyone know if that angled PCI adapter works on STV as well?
It's actually not a proper PCI connection, so there are no off-the-shelf adapters available (paging someone who wants to make some!). Here's the connector info:

http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-650092-1.html

-ud

Nah, I may have Tek Inovations slice me up some plexis for personal use, though. Jasen's plexi kit looks amazing, but this setup doesn't need something that fancy.
Yeah I really like Jasen's kit. I would just like it a bit shorter in height. I might do what you did with the SCSI2SD adapter, but keep the cart sticking out the top. That way I can use shorter stand-offs for the 4 corners and reduce the height footprint by an inch or so, perhaps.

Bastard. $8.29 is another expense for me for that riser during the holiday season.

the compact cps3 idea is a pretty neat.

it deserves top without a cart insertion

Sorry for the semi-dead thread bump, I can't seem to find the info anywhere and this seems like the newest relevant thread.

Anyone happen to have the dimensions/footprint for the CPS3? I'm trying to take some measurements and get some things together to make a safer setup for tournaments before all of my other parts come in, and I just want to make sure I'm buying the right sized parts.

I've seen that actually, I was pretty into their red one for awhile, but I'm looking to put everything together in a little more "consolized"-esk way that will still let me keep all of the parts covered and under lock-and-key when I bring it to the venue. If Jason ever does more Acrylics eventually I'll probably go for that down the line though :D

It would be more than enough to get the LxW of the main CPS3 Board itself; I've got the dimensions of the drive and of the SCSI2SD, since I'll be working with the drive for a bit before the SCSI2SD comes in. Rough Height with the cartridge in a shell would be nice too, but not as important as the LxW.

Back