What's new

ArcadeTV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3 security-carts for cps3, 2 modded with std-sh2 and bios but not working, 1 untouched sf3.2 cart.
I'd love to see a thread with all the infos and files needed to end up with a working superBios-cart ^^

What do you think is wrong? Do you think it is a soldering issue?

When I put the cart into my cps3 I only get a garbled screen. I first suspected that I've had the wrong bios but when I replaced the IC with another one with a file that I got from @Darksoft it still doesnt work. The soldering should be fine, even the std-SH2 looks ok and was taken from a SEGA Saturn.
I really don't wanna kill the SF3.2 cart unless I'm 100% sure what the problem is because if that fails I'll end up with 3 carts that don't work.

To troubleshoot I'd love to see a compilation of the different carts and where the bios needs to be installed depending on the cart-type.
I have some TSOP-type ICs left containing the correct superBios.

When I do a conversion and I still get a scrambled screen, 98% of the time it is the bios chip not soldered well enough. It may look really well soldered even with a magnifying glass but most of the time if I add a bit more solder and flux the cart will boot up fine the next time. Usually if the SH-2 is not soldered well the game will just crash and you will lose video completely. Check for solder bridges all around on the pins of both the bios and SH-2. Flux is your best friend here.

Although the A and B carts allow you to use SOP chips for the bios I always just reprogram the 48-pin TSOP that the carts came with. For whatever reason it is very hard to remove the SOP chip once it has been soldered down and it's very easy to destroy traces when doing so. The TSOP removes much easier although it is a bit more difficult to solder it back down. Darksoft is considering another bios in the future so I will stick with using my TSOPs. ;)

Everyone can keep in mind that I offer all CPS3 services including SH-2 swaps and live cart battery swaps. Also, please don't attempt surface mount work if you have no experience. You will most likely damage your cart.

When this was released I fixed a few dead boards I had tossing around here.
I'd been using them for parts for years and tossing them like a Frisbee from place to place because they were pieces of sh!t ;)
So then I had to find all of them and find the spare parts I pulled off and put them all back together again.
I've done a few carts here so I could offer the switcheroo service too.
The CPU's I used came from dead STV boards that mostly had damaged cart slots and other unfixable issues.
I never had any issues they just worked first time hehe! but of course I have about $50k in equipment and my technique is honed over 20 years of working with electronics ;)
The biggest problem with CPS3 is the speed. The SCSI works only at PIO speeds so that is why it's so damn slow.

I suppose I could do a tutorial, but it's not that difficult. Just swap CPU and TSOP48 BIOS, or in the case of the factory CPU, just swap the TSOP48 BIOS. Then use the Darksoft CD. I did the work some time ago but from memory that's all there is to it.

Do you use something like Chip Quik to remove the CPU and BIOS?

nar that stuff is sh!t and only for amateurs ;)
Like I said I've got $50k in equipment including proper smd rework station etc.
but I've been known to do some crazy manual stuff too....

Attachments

• dragon-blaze-conversion+sound.jpg
    dragon-blaze-conversion+sound.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 416
Back