What's new

invzim

Champion
Reaction score
On my increasingly long list of unfinished projects, this is something I've been tinkering with for a while. An alternative to the RS, Namco and Konami boards you need to play Jamma PCB's in a JVS cab.
JVS2JAMMA is perfectly clear in my head, but I've seen someone use it to refer to an IO board so I guess it's a little confusing.

About to have proto PCB's made for this:

jammafier.jpg

Btw, image does not show the jamma edge connector that is to be soldered on - it is for connecting to jamma PCB's..

Is "Jammafier" a good name, or is there something better that describes what it does intuitively?

Awesome product, and yes I like Jammafier :thumbsup: and yes I will buy at least 2 of these.

Can you add RCA and/or 3.5mm stereo output, with some type of input header for stereo sound thats produced by certain boards.

Can you add RCA and/or 3.5mm stereo output, with some type of input header for stereo sound thats produced by certain boards.
I gave some thought to it earlier, but you end up with having to make some kind of special cable anyway - so why not just make one that goes straight to female RCA?

I gave some thought to it earlier, but you end up with having to make some kind of special cable anyway - so why not just make one that goes straight to female RCA?
if it would have a stereo header in and line level rca out, that would really help here :D

No need for an extra line level converter anymore...

Is "Jammafier" a good name, or is there something better that describes what it does intuitively?
terrible name. not trying to be a dick but jammafier imples that you're converting TO JAMMA.

for instance when you "simplify" something you're making something more simple than it was before. You're doing the complete opposite of making something "more JAMMA than it was before" with this device since it attaches to a JAMMA board and make that Board JVS compliant.

if anything it should be the JVSify

Similarly it should be JAMMA2JVS since you're converting a JAMMA board to JVS and not the other way around.

I know we've had this discussion before but generally the "flow" comes from the PCB and to the cab since the PCB is the source media. Like when adapting a console to work with your TV you're always talking about the console as the source and the TV as the destination.

even still you'll get people confused no matter which way you think of the "flow" it might be best to give it a name without any ambiguity like "Cab JAMMAifier" or something unrelated altogether.

Last edited:
Cool, so I guess you will add rca outputs for the mono sound with some type of attenuating circuit?

and put me down for 2 units :D

Cool, so I guess you will add rca outputs for the mono sound with some type of attenuating circuit?
and put me down for 2 units :D
Yup, didn't have a 3D model for RCA I'm using - but current design has 2 RCA connectors for easy hook-up. . Jamma PCB -> attenuation -> same signal to 2 RCA connectors (mono).

it'd be cool if it supported stereo attenuation for those PCBs that have amplified stereo out on a separate header. (such as F3)

Similarly, support for Taito's amplified half-wave stereo out on the JAMMA edge would be cool too.

Last edited:
Cool, so I guess you will add rca outputs for the mono sound with some type of attenuating circuit?and put me down for 2 units :D
Yup, didn't have a 3D model for RCA I'm using - but current design has 2 RCA connectors for easy hook-up. . Jamma PCB -> attenuation -> same signal to 2 RCA connectors (mono).
A stretch, but add a mini din output with xrgb mini pinout??? to make it easier to hook up to scalers like the OSSC, etc...

I think, that I am confusing this project with another one... question.. no upscaling or line doubler in the unit?

JVS2Jamma sounds simple and easy to understand what the device is..

it'd be cool if it supported stereo attenuation for those PCBs that have amplified stereo out on a separate header. (such as F3)

Similarly, support for Taito's amplified half-wave stereo out on the JAMMA edge would be cool too.
Never heard of of this half-wave stereo stuff - got any links or details?

Never heard of of this half-wave stereo stuff - got any links or details?
So the Taito F3, Wolf System (Psychic Force 2012), and G-Net all do this. I'm not sure if others do as well (probably other Sony ZN PCBs since they're the same baseboard as the G-Net)

when they're switched into stereo mode then the Audio + on the JAMMA edge is Speaker Right Positive, and Audio - on the JAMMA edge is Speaker Left Negative.

The result is that on a normal mono JAMMA cab it still outputs both channels to one speaker since one channel's wave form is being piped to the positive lead and the inverted wave form for the other channel is being piped to the negative lead. But on a cab that supports it (like the Egret 29 and I believe the Egret II) it uses a normal Ground wire for the Right speaker - and a normal ground wire for the Left speaker + (yes, you read that right, remember it's the inverted wave). and you get Stereo audio output from the JAMMA edge while keeping the standard JAMMA pinout.

it's really pretty genius and I wish more cabs/PCBs supported it. since I can just plug in these JAMMA board and enjoy stereo audio without any additional connectors or adapters.

you can see the wiring for this in my Egret29 diagram here: Taito Egret 29 Restoration

JVS2Jamma sounds simple and easy to understand what the device is..
so it's going to make my JVS NAOMI board work in a JAMMA cab?
Let's turn it around them:) Jamma2JVS..??1. JammaPCB2JVSCAB
2. JammaPCB2JVS
3. Jamma2JVS
flipping it around like that would put it in line with how Sega and RS have named their converters however it's still ambiguous because you'd have people saying "JAMMA2JVS; so it will make my JAMMA cab work with a JVS PCB?"

Cool idea. Wondering though what the SDcard slot does there?

Back