What's new
icon_pubjoe_awe.gif

As I said to you bud, makes me wish I still had a pure JVS cab so I could have a play with it :)

Since I'm nerding out tonight, I did some tests to verify voltage drop. Not the end-all super scientific test, but I think good enough.

I soldered on some test pins on a PCB to simulate a game, and loaded it with 5 amps on my fancy electronic load - this is as much as you're ever likely to encounter I think. https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/PCB_Power_Consumption
The higher the amp, the more voltage drop you will have given other things being equal.

Here is the measurements on the input of the Jammafier:

jammafier11-5a input.JPG

And here I switched the probes to the 'game':
jammafier11-5a game.JPG

Some rounding and not taking absolute accuracy of the meter into account:
Reading at Jammafier power entry: 4.96V
Reading at game: 4.91V
Voltage drop: 0.05V when loaded at 5A.

Ran the same test setup with the Namco one and it voltage drop was 0.23V - I was expecting it to be a bit higher.

The production run of the Jammafier will use a jamma edge connector from a different manufacturer - but I don't expect numbers to change much or if at all.

For final test, and the one that is probably more relevant to 'normal scenarios' - I tested the Jammafier with 1.5A load:
Reading at Jammafier power entry: 5.2914V
Reading at game: 5.2880V
Voltage drop: 0.0034V when loaded at 1.5A. This is so low that the accuracy of meter and probes probably come into play.

Executive summary: it werks well :)

No question who the king of cool stuff is ( @FrancoB ) - acrylic top covers fit perfectly!
Had a little noise issue with the -5V dc-dc conversion, which is fixed in next revision that will arrive next week. It's just a really minor reivison, so unless some oddness occurs this is pretty much how the final units will be shipped.

IMG_1005.JPG
IMG_1004.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    575.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    694.9 KB · Views: 209
Nice one bud! Looking good 8)

You supplied me with a nice precise model of your board so it was easy to design something for it :thumbsup:

Looks great! :thumbup:

@FrancoB is da man, love his works!

@invzim Cant wait to get my hands on one of these to test it out.

If I use splitters on the audio/video and power lines to plug in a JVS board, can the jammafier be turned off without unplugging power to it? Just to make it easier to switch back and forth without unplugging everything all the time.

Wauw, really nice finishing off!

Definitely want to try one too! :thumbsup:

This exactly what I was hoping to find for my Naomi Deluxe cabinet. Is there any ETA or rough price this will be when its ready? I'm definitely interested :)

It's still in development, but the hardware design part is hopefully done. It's a hobby thing, so I don't want to commit to any dates but order of business is something like:
  1. bare minimum working firmware so it can ship
  2. write bootloader for user update of firmware via micro-sd card
  3. Get parts and stuff for the first external user prototypes
  4. ?
Not sure on 4 yet, but likely a small hand-made batch of around 50 units.

Price is TBD, but aiming for sub-200 USD + shipping.

Last edited:
I am very interested in this card but also that for the tri sync monitor

You have tested with a spinner? (Taito F3 is direct on Jamma right and left)

On JVS2Jamma of riverservice, he don't like that, the vaus is instable.

I think it's because of the spinner's pulse frequency

You think it's possible to manage in a future update 2 node? To make versus fighting like the riverservice JVS2jamma do?

Just put in an order for a small pile of Jamma connectors, so things are moving forward a bit :)

There will not be support for spinners initially - but I got a dynamic golf panel and a Arkanoid ROD PCB, so who knows.. Spinners on JVS require a special IO board and has specific commands used to read them. VS stuff will also not be supported initially, but it's certainly technically doable. It will double latency, but if latency is 4xgood enough to begin with, it will probably not be a problem.

Sega optics don't work with Arkanoid, I've tried while troubleshooting a bad arkanoid spinner. I do have an extra sega jvs rotary encoder I could donate if you don't want to risk your golf panel.

Edge connectors have arrived, which is the part that is by far hardest to source.

IMG_1091.JPG

I've been picking up some video noise on a specific board, and not entirely sure where it originates from - waiting for some bits&bobs to properly identify where it originates, and won't assemble or ship anything until that's done. Suspects are my power supply, the -5V circuit in the Jammafier, noise from the OLED, something in the scaler (unlikely as the OSSC also shows this), my cables and a couple of other things. Could of course be it's the actual PCB itself, but I want to be sure.

Small update, secure bootloader is done. The bootloader the part of the software that allows updates of firmware via micro-sd card. The bootloader is incredibly important to get right, as it's not possible to update it after products have shipped. I've tested with a bunch of sd-cards and it all seems to work fine, even cards formatted on mac or linux, or cards that have multiple partitions.

I need a little input on cab linking. This is not a feature creep that will delay things, but rather something that can be added easily as a result of how JVS and input in general is handled internally.

Current thinking is:
Primary IO/Cab = The one physically closest to Jammafier
Secondary IO/Cab = The one physically furthest from Jammafier

All player2 input on secondary is discarded
All player2 input on primary is discarded
Player 1 input on secondary is translated to Player 2 on Jamma/Kick.
coin1&2 on both cabs is coin1&2 on jamma
test on both cabs is test on jamma.

Does this sound about right?

very nice work, can't wait to get one, I already own a riverservice jvs>jamma and a trisync monitor, it does the impedance trick but yours looks more promising. Just a suggestion, wouldn't it be interesting to have an attenuation pot for rgbs lines to tweak the signal ? same as the HAS supregun. I am always unsatisfied of the OSD settings for contrast/brightness because the conversion at least on my riverservice pcb is not as perfect as using the secondary rgb output from the chassis which is not as convenient because I need to open the cabinet to switch. (I have toshiba pd1843 chassis on a sega new net city). It is always also tricky when I switch from JVS to Jamma, always need to go back to the osd and redo settings, would be neat to customize the rgb attenuation also from the pcb to avoid touching osd each time there is switch from jvs to jamma

Last edited:
very nice work, can't wait to get one, I already own a riverservice jvs>jamma and a trisync monitor, it does the impedance trick but yours looks more promising. Just a suggestion, wouldn't it be interesting to have an attenuation pot for rgbs lines to tweak the signal ? same as the HAS supregun. I am always unsatisfied of the OSD settings for contrast/brightness because the conversion at least on my riverservice pcb is not as perfect as using the secondary rgb output from the chassis which is not as convenient because I need to open the cabinet to switch. (I have toshiba pd1843 chassis on a sega new net city). It is always also tricky when I switch from JVS to Jamma, always need to go back to the osd and redo settings, would be neat to customize the rgb attenuation also from the pcb to avoid touching osd each time there is switch from jvs to jamma
Thanks for feedback! I've been back and forth on this an decided not to. There are basically these scenarios:
1 - Tri-Sync monitors with no easy way to change impedance
1b - Tri sync monitors that have trouble with some jamma csync
2 - OSSC
3 - FrameMeister
4 - Scaler that handles Jamma video out of the box / monitors that handle jamma video with no modification

They are all different, and catering to all of them would complicate things a lot - so I just pass on the video signal. For your case tho, you can pick up this addon:
https://irkenlabs.com/jammafier/tri-sync-monitors

When it comes to video, I would not recommend riverservice - some more details here https://irkenlabs.com/jammafier/video

Back