What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
So I just got my CPS2 multi in today (yay!). Went though the installation without any problems but when I got to installing the case, it doesn't fit.

Yes everything is 100% fully seated
Yes I've removed the post on the lid.

it seems the lid is hitting the top of the ribbon cable for the LCD. if I remove the ribon cable the case closes without any issue.

Here you can see everything is fully seated:
cps2_1.jpg

When I clip in the front of the lid the back of the lid has a gap like this:
cps2_3.jpg

Peaking inside I can see the ribbon cable connector hitting the lid
cps2_2.jpg

Is this normal? is there some kind of modification I'm supposed to be doing to the ribbon cable to make it fit? did I get an extra tall one? or is there something else going on here?

I tested this on my A-Board without the case and it runs beautifully! it just doesn't seem to fit inside the case unless I remove the ribbon cable :(

Any advice would be appreciated.

Man it's been a while. Are both ends of the cable the same height? That looks like the side that maybe goes into the LCD

yes, they're both the same height

even still, if I were to swap the cable around then it would be covering the LCD screen on the controller end.

Maybe jasen is still selling these tanks! Plenty of room!

TEWgDWC_d.jpg

In all seriousness I don't recall having issues with getting the multi to fit, sorry man... just looked through my old build photos but couldn't find anything remarkable.

I doubt that case would fit in my cabs... the CPS2 as it is, is a very tight fit... E29s don't leave much room for the PCB.

I'm also curious how long your cable is because mine is crazy short. like if I pull out all the slack and route it out the "register" port I only have about 2in of cable left which is just barely enough to turn the LCD sideways to read it, and even then it's pulled taught just to do that, which probably isn't very good for it's lifespan.

cps2_4.jpg

that's all she's got!

Attachments

• cps2_5.jpg
    cps2_5.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
I honestly just gave up and have my B board as a bare PCB on the A board, because my multi is finicky, touch it wrong and it stops working, need to be able to press on it to make sure the magic seating is right.

are you sure it's the ribbon cable causing that?

I had to remove a plastic post from the b board shell for mine to fit. Cable wasn't the problem.

I can open up the case and measure the cable if you want, but it's not long...

2fhwRk3_d.jpg

I had to remove a plastic post from the b board shell for mine to fit. Cable wasn't the problem.
as I stated in the first post. the post on the lid has been removed.

you can even see it's missing in the 2nd picture.

Also, as stated in the first post, I confirmed that the lid closes easily once I remove the ribbon cable.

as I stated in the first post. the post on the lid has been removed.
you can even see it's missing in the 2nd picture.

Also, as stated in the first post, I confirmed that the lid closes easily once I remove the ribbon cable.
Right on, I never actually used the ribbon cable - just the long circular option that was available. Seems weird that the regular ribbon cable wouldn't fit though.

Seems weird that the regular ribbon cable wouldn't fit though.
I agree. I wonder if they maybe changed vendors or models and the new one is taller.

Is your CPS2 kit from the current batch or do you have an older one?

Problem Solved...

i cut off the strain relief on both ends of the cable and then reversed it. This gave me an exra 1/4in or so of clearance and added about 1in of lengh to the cable.

cps2_6.jpg

Now the case closes completely and I can get on with my life :P

Glad you figured it out. I was working in an arcade all day so didn't see this until now. Coulda had you squared away hours ago.

Back