What's new

moomert1

Beginner
Reaction score
So I have searched and searched and I cannot find the info I need. I bought the Riverservice JVS converter. This is used to play jamma games in a JVS cabinet. However, I cannot figure out how to power the thing.
If you look, the converter has a 8 pin (bottom) and 6 pin (top) connector. Can anyone tell me what the pin out is for these connectors? Unfortunately, this came with no instructions. View attachment 6325

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 689
shouldn't it be powered via the JVS power connectors. CN1 and CN2

if you're installing it in a JVS cab it should have those connectors already since those are the standard for JVS power.

as for the pinout, it's well documented:
JSTPinout.jpg

Yup, 100% Standard JVS pinout, had one of the myself some time ago

When I got my cab, it had no cables for a motherboard. So I was dealing with a lot of trial end error. So here is the odd thing. When I connect both the 8 and 6 pin connectors, I get nothing. When I connect only the 8 pin connector, I get video and sound....but my controls dont work. If I only connect the 6 pin connector, I get nothing, and the large black eprom chip on the converter heats up. I figured I needed a proper connection on the 6 pin for my controls to work.

I had a taito type X2 system hooked up to the cab before and had no problems with controls. So I'm assuming the issue is not my i/o board.

can you measure all pins on your 6/8 pin connector to see if they are wired up correctly and the voltages are correct?

can you measure all pins on your 6/8 pin connector to see if they are wired up correctly and the voltages are correct?
that will be my next step tomorrow. I figure I must be doing something wrong.

Or do you have any other JVS systems available to test? Sega Naomi for example?

Or do you have any other JVS systems available to test? Sega Naomi for example?
well here is an update for anyone interested. Got all the right voltages in. I was able to plug in both the 8 and 6 pin connectors and the game got video and sound. Still the controls would not work. My power supply was all messed up in regards to the labeling. I was getting 12 volts where I should have been getting 5 volts. I was getting 0 volts where I should have been getting 3.3. A 12 volt was actually a ground....etc etc.

I also hooked up my Taito Type X2 in the cab (universal Lindbergh) to verify the i/o was not the issue (worked perfectly). So I'm now assuming that for whatever reason, my i/o just does not want to work with the Riverservice converter.

Which cab and io you got?

And I assume the voltages are fixed now?

My power supply was all messed up in regards to the labeling. I was getting 12 volts where I should have been getting 5 volts. I was getting 0 volts where I should have been getting 3.3. A 12 volt was actually a ground....etc etc.
are you sure you were looking at the connectors the right way? if you're interpreting it as the male end connector when it should be interpreted as the female receptacle then it will be backwards. I don't see any reason why a previous owner would have swapped pins around.

Which cab and io you got?
universal Lindbergh
If it's stock it will be a Sega Type 1.5

this is the power supply. However, voltage output was not as listed on the label...at least for the "middle" picture of voltage output

Untitled.jpg

mmmm,

After looking at this & speculating. I'd guess, when using this, the cabinet's JVS (I/O) acts like a pass-through for the controls.

The cabinets original JVS, does it have two USB connectors on it? If you guys ever seen WWF Royal Rumble (naomi 4-player control); you'd know what I'm talking about. It daisy's two JVS, type A's (via USB) believe for again 4-player

mmmm,

After looking at this & speculating. I'd guess, when using this, the cabinet's JVS (I/O) acts like a pass-through for the controls.

The cabinets original JVS, does it have two USB connectors on it? If you guys ever seen WWF Royal Rumble (naomi 4-player control); you'd know what I'm talking about. It daisy's two JVS, type A's (via USB) believe for again 4-player
it looks like the i/o has a usb A port and a usb B port. I'm using the usb A. I wanted to play various jamma games in my Lindbergh cab. I tried using jamma games and a Pandoras Box (with pandora to jamma convertor ). Seems that for whatever reason, the i/o just does not want to work with the Riverservice adapter.

Not to be insulting, so your saying

The RiverService JVS is directing connected to your jamma game.

The RiverService JVS is getting power from a power supply.

The RiverService JVS vga (& audio) is connected to your monitor (& amp) (does the RiverService convert 15khz to 31khz)

The Lindberg JVS is is getting power from a power supply.

The RiverService JVS usb 'A' is connected to the Lindbergh JVS usb 'B'.

mmmm,

it's not supposed to be a daisy chain in this scenario; the Riverservice Adapter acts as a JVS source device. Essentially the Cab's JVS I/O sees the river service adapter as a JVS compliant game board and it should be connected as such.

So once you attach the RS adapter to the JAMMA PCB you treat the two of them together the same way you'd treat a NAOMI.

Not to be insulting, so your saying

The RiverService JVS is directing connected to your jamma game.

The RiverService JVS is getting power from a power supply.

The RiverService JVS vga (& audio) is connected to your monitor (& amp) (does the RiverService convert 15khz to 31khz)

The Lindberg JVS is is getting power from a power supply.

The RiverService JVS usb 'A' is connected to the Lindbergh JVS usb 'B'.
Well almost. My Lindberg i/o has connected to CN4 via a cord with a usb "B" end. On the opposite side of that cord is a usb "A" which is connected to the Riverservice device.

The Riverservice is getting power from the power supply with the correct voltages.

The Riverservice vga and audio are connected and working.

The Riverservce only sends out 15 khz. So I use and upscaler device....which does work as I get video on my monitor.

I thought the issue could be a defective i/o board. So I installed my Taito Type X2 hardware to my Lindbergh cab. The i/o worked perfectly. No issues.

I have a JVS I/O board Type 3, Model 837-14572

Back