What's new

Xisco

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello there! This is my first post, I registered to ask help repairing a CPS2 board.

I have an hispanic Street Fighter Zero CPS2 board which, when I tested it, gives sound problems.

The sound problems were very strange: the intro has all the sound effects but no music, and in game there were some musics that play and some that don't. This same musics that don't play in-game don't play on the sound test screen.

The rom checks were all OK, so after cleaning, attaching, deattaching and doing a lot of things, I finally opened the board, with a programmer I readed the QSOUND ROMS (sfz.01 and sfz.02) and found that the second half of sfz.01 is blank. To make sure that this was the cause of the problem, I tried the game in an emulator replacing the qsound roms with those dumped ones and voilá! Same problems and musics missing which my board have, so problem found.

The thing is that the QSOUND chips are SONY CXK27C1000DQ-15 and that chip does not appear on the program I use with the programmer (MiniPro v6.50).

So after searching on the internet I found this forum and this thread from @neurokinetik where he says:

The sound ROMs were Sony CXK27C1000DQ-15. I burned Hitachi HN27C101AG-12 to replace them, as my burner does not have a listing for the Sony devices and I wasn't 100% certain that using one of the substitute chip settings was working properly.

So I tried to reprogramm those chips with the Hitachi HN27C101AG-12 option. I readed them but not perfectly with this option, so when I used ATMEL AT27C010 (don't remember why I ended trying that one) I got a proper dump of sfz.02 and the first half of sfz.01 (because the second half was blank).

But the thing is that I can't get to reprogram them, probably because I don't choose a proper suitable compatible eeprom. I erase them with UV and programmed some program CPS2 roms before, so the programmer seems to work correctly.

Is there anyone here who can tell me which option should be compatible to program this eprom? I don't know how to figure it.

Thank you very much! :)

I generally use M27c1001

you may have mixed luck reprogramming CPS2 roms as brands varied widely between boards. I usually just buy blanks and program them.

edit: if you are in the US, myself or many other members can probably burn you one or supply the right chip.

Thanks for the fast reply! I tried the one you suggested (FUJITSU MBM27c1001) but same results as before. I can read, but not write.

I remember having to try some differents options when I reprogrammed a dead board long time ago, because as you said, the eproms on the same game were mixed ones. But I had better look finding the equivalents on some posts on different forums on the internet. Not this time :(

And I don't know electronics enough to look for an equivalent for SONY CXK27C1000DQ-15 that exactly matches so I can program it.

Do you change VPP, VCC or VDD values?

Xisco, please update your profile with your location. General location at least.

perhaps you misunderstood... ST M27c1001 is your equivalent chip to buy and program. Or am27c010. Same pinout

Sorry about that Mitsurugi-w, I added my location now.

Skate323k137 maybe I minunderstood. I don't want to buy a new equivalent chip, what I was trying to do (if possible) is to reprogram the actual Sony chip, just can't select that on the program I use and while I can read it, I can't write to it. Do you mean I can reprogram it selecting those chips you mentioned or you mean that I have to buy them?

If possible, what I would like to do is reprogramming the uv eprom i have.

I hear you. But if it won't program as generic 27c010 or m27c1001, then you'll need to buy one of those anyway. I don't know if I ever did get a Sony one to re burn.

Which programmer do you have? A 27C010/1001 is a pretty common EPROM that should be fine to write on most programmers. It may not have the specific brand but you can use another brand and as long as the type is correct you're good to go

It's worth mentioning that a 27C1000 and 27C1001/010 are NOT the same pinout, one is non-JEDEC and the other is JEDEC, they are NOT interchangeable. I would confirm with a datasheet the pinout of your EPROM - this would also explain why half of it was reading blank.

Confirmed here: This is the pinout for your Sony EPROM (27C1000)

http://www.citylan.it/wiki/images/d/d1/Cxk27c1000.pdf

Here is a pinout for a 27C1001/010

http://circuits.datasheetdir.com/257/M27C1001-pinout.jpg

Notice Output Enable switched with A16

Fortunately the power connections are the same on both so you haven't fried anything, but it won't read or program properly as the wrong type :)

Edit: The supported device list says that you have an option for an MX27C1000 - so you should be able to both read and write those ROMs.

Last edited:
that's odd. Do any cps2 B board revisions actually use that pinout? I've always swapped for m27c1001 for the qsound roms without issue. What gets me is if OPs rom reads as a 27c010 / 27c1001 then that's what I would think it should be replaced with.

Capcom used both JEDEC and non JEDEC - I guess whatever they had on hand at the time and that jumpers on the board are set to configure which type is being used

If non JEDEC is what's on there, you need to replace it with the same or you'll continue to have problems - if the EPROMs on the board aren't original, it's entirely possible whoever burned the Phoenix Q sound ROMs used the wrong type and that's why you're having the issues you are, and replacing them with 1001/010 will fix your problem :)

They will still read as a 1001/010 - but not fully, the last address pin is switched with output enable so you'll lose the last portion of data of the ROM :) - but because OE is switched, it won't read properly on the board because it will never enable when it's asked.

Hello again! Many thanks for your answers. I'll try to clarify some things:

The roms were original, no phoenix or anything: the board comes from an arcade long time ago. About 15 years. The surprise is that is not suicided yet, but maybe the battery was changed sometime.

Those SONY CXK27C1000DQ-15 eproms were original too, with the capcom label over their window.

The program I'm using is MiniPro v6.50. I tried with the MX27C1000 but it happens the same that before: I can read the eprom but not write to it. I know that the second half of sfz.01 is missing and causing the problems because I managed to read it, try it in an emulator and causing the same exact issues.

Of course, it seems that maybe buying a new eprom and writting it, as you suggest, will solve the problem. The thing is I don't know where to buy it, but also I would like really much to fix it with the original eprom, if there is any change to do that.

Maybe the original EPROM is damaged and that's why I can't rewrite it (and half erased in the first place) ?

Well, this is what I've done finally.

I erased the second qsound rom from SFZ (sfz.02) and tried to reprogram it, just to see if the problem was that the first eprom was faulty and if that's the reason I can't reprogram it... but no luck there, so the problem seems to be that I have not been lucky yet to configure the programmer to burn this eproms. Maybe the program is not compatible.

So I haven't been able yet to reprogram the SONY CXK27C1000DQ-15 eproms, but I managed to "fix" the SFZ qsound problem using other eproms.

I have a Xmen vs Street Fighter board with glitched graphics, so I opened it to see which qsound roms it has, and they were both ST M27C1001 @DIP32 roms (like the ones recommended by @skate323k137 in the first place).

I erased them, reprogrammed them with SFZ Qsound roms without any problem with my programmer and voilá, SFZ is working correctly, and now the Xmen VS Street Fighter with glitchy graphics does also have no sound at all. Poor board!

So the main and important problem I had is solved, SFZ is fully working correctly.

Now, without hurries, maybe I could try to fix that XMen vs SF board.

First of all, if I manage to figure how to burn that SONY eproms maybe I can bring sound back to life. Or maybe I can buy a pair of M27C1001 eproms, as suggested. Anyway, as the board is not working correctly, I'm not in a hurry there, but it would be fine to be able to use the original eproms .

And for the graphic ROMS, is there the possibility to buy eproms and replace the wrong roms with them so it works ok again?

Thanks for all the commentaries and help :)

Good to hear!

Graphics roms can certainly be verified and replaced as needed with eproms. Depends on the game and jumpers but usually m27c160 or m27c322. You can tell by the file sizes in the MAME rom set.

I will say that in all my CPS2 experiences, the 27C1000 chips are, to use the technical term, a pain in the fucking arse.

In all cases, I've ended up replacing them with 27C1001 or 27C010 and changing the jumpers accordingly.

i dont think the minipro can handle 42pin chips.

Back