What's new

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
WARNING!!!! DO NOT INSTALL THE WIRES UNTIL AFTER UPDATING THE FW!!!! IF THE WIRES ARE INSTALLED WHILE TRYING TO UPDATE THE FW YOU WILL CORRUPT THE BOOT-LOADER ON THE KIT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO REWRITE IT USING A DISCOVERY!!!

Yesss!!!! It's finally here. The 100% original code deal. A new version of firmware that will allow you to play all your CPS2 games using original unaltered code. Now, no one can say that IA could be different or that it's not a 100% version like the original!

We implemented the key writing process discovered and made available thanks to http://arcadehacker.blogspot.com/

You can see a video here and a small schematics of the only 4 wires that you need to solder.

Programming of the key is done with 4 additional signals called DATA, CLOCK, SETUP1 and SETUP2.

SWD5 is not being used anymore. Now you have to use for both reset and SETUP2 (it's the same signal) the pin in SWD7.
IMPORTANT!!! Follow the instructions to connect DATA, CLOCK, SETUP1 and SETUP2 as stated here and corresponding to your version of B Board only:
http://arcadehacker.blogspot.com/

You don't need to connect 5V nor GND as they are already provided by the kit.
A small summary would be:

Pinout for board revisions 93646B-3 and 93646B-4
CN2 interface pins:

DATAArduino #2→ CN2 A32
SETUP1Arduino #3→ CN2 A30
CLOCKArduino #11→ CN2 A31
SETUP2Arduino #12→ CN2 A29

Pinout for board revisions 93646B-5
CN9 interface pins:

DATAArduino #2→ CN9 #2
SETUP1Arduino #3→ CN9 #3
CLOCKArduino #11→ CN9 #4
SETUP2Arduino #12→ CN9 #5

Pinout for board revision 93646B-6, 93646B-7 and 97691A-3
CN9 pins:

DATAArduino # 2→ CN9 #2
SETUP1Arduino # 3→ CN9 #3
CLOCKArduino # 11→ CN9 #4
SETUP2Arduino # 12→ CN9 #5

Here is a short video:

WARNING!!!! DO NOT INSTALL THE WIRES UNTIL AFTER UPDATING THE FW!!!! IF THE WIRES ARE INSTALLED WHILE TRYING TO UPDATE THE FW YOU WILL CORRUPT THE BOOT-LOADER ON THE KIT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO REWRITE IT USING A DISCOVERY!!!

Now each folder game should have a file called "key" which has the key that corresponds to each game. The firmware will copy the latest programmed key on the root of the microSD so don't delete files like NOW_PLAY NOW_KEY, etc. please

For the suicided versions like from Team Avalaunch just place a 20bytes file full of FFFFFFF in the game directory. See attached file Nobattery. Now you can use the kit even to restore dead CPS2 B Boards!!!

Even better news is that you dont need a battery for this to work, it will write the game and the keys and run everything regardless of the fact if you have a Battery installed or not.

Please check that you have the correct level of power on your B Board specially on older revisions. Check this post for more info:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...-troubles-on-early-rev-boards.2879/post-63215

Please test it and get back to us!!!!

Here are some 4 original games converted ready to play. More will come soon.
Remember that they need to go into /games directory in your microSD.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4ct9d4j0vohhnka/encrypted_games.7z

A big SPECIAL THANKS to Arcade Hacker for making this possible and to Team Avalaunch for making those awesome romsets that made us enjoy our CPS2 without any kind of drama!

In case someone has very old CPS2 Multi without bootloader, here is the updated bootloader. Attached.

Attachments

• cps2_multi_label - copia.png
    cps2_multi_label - copia.png
    544.1 KB · Views: 4,188
  • Nobattery.zip
    165 bytes · Views: 1,374
  • flash.zip
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,265
  • sd_bootloader.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 929
Yesss!!!! It's finally here. The 100% original code deal. A new version of firmware that will allow you to play all your CPS2 games using original unaltered code
I wish I could like this post twice :D very excited to have this feature implemented

Are there any games that previously weren't available that will be available because of this update?

please mod or replace the fan of your A board
Mine is super noisy too is there a recommended replacement?

Either mod it to 5v with a resistor or completely replace it with a Papst 612FL what I’ve done

I have a question...

Will we be able to run mix-mode? as in can we have a SD card with some games that use keys and some games that don't?

I'd like to run keys where I can but I also would like to be able to run some hacks/patched game.

Will we be able to run mix-mode? as in can we have a SD card with some games that use keys and some games that don't?

I'd like to run keys where I can but I also would like to be able to run some hacks/patched game.
You can run mix mode, just inject the zero key which happens to be only 20 bytes of 0xff

I remember some guy (Razoosomething, I forgot exactly) commenting in the NeowhateverGeo forum, writing about the ArcadeHacker discovery and saying:

Razoowhatever said:
Yes it means just that. Board brought back to life the way Capcom do it (board will suicide again once the battery dies). It means people will now be able to bring back board to a set revision that does not have a phoenix edition for example. Also means if you own the hardware to do this you have access to all sets in MAME.

Im guessing someone may make a new multidevice using this to support all games though I am not sure how long the official reprogramming takes. It might still be faster to use the method I suggested of holding an encrypted and decrypted program ROMs together. Darksoft missed out big time not doing that with his device and severly limited the games his device could play compared to the games available. Im guessing this news might make darksofts CPS2 device obsolete and I would not be surprised if he does not make a new version if no one else does it first.
Oh well..... :whistling:

"he who shall not be named" cracks me up. He's already talking shit on "the other forum"

Great advance here!

I think he missed the fact that the creation of the CPS2 multi helped facilitate the discovery of how to re-write the keys.

It's like telling someone their grandparents should have skipped having kids and just gone to having grand kids from the start... I mean it's so OBVIOUS. :rolleyes:

I never understood why "he who shall not be named" hated on this project so hard from day one.

As the originator of the decrypted set I thought he would be happy to see some of the fruits his effort helped create...
Not demand people stop using his "work" and try to shoot the entire thing down.

Be a supporter bro, we wouldn't have this without your contribution...
Stand proud among your fans/friends, don't turn on your own people!
latest

Yesss!!!! It's finally here. The 100% original code deal. A new version of firmware that will allow you to play all your CPS2 games using original unaltered code
I wish I could like this post twice :D very excited to have this feature implemented
Are there any games that previously weren't available that will be available because of this update?

please mod or replace the fan of your A board
Mine is super noisy too is there a recommended replacement?
Though this is super cool and I'll probably switch to use original roms anyway, I really don't have an issue with any of the decrypts and do really enjoy some of the romhacks that are out. So I'm also curious if this makes anything previously unplayable, work. And also wondering if mixed-mode would work so I can run romhacks, too.

Also I used @XianXi'a cps2 fan but it looks sold out... http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/store.html maybe that's temporary

Awesome, exciting work! Well done!!!

Quick newb'ish question: what's the correct modular wiring connector to use for plugging into the CN2 and CN9 header on the game board?

Back