What's new
Awesome, exciting work! Well done!!!

Quick newb'ish question: what's the correct modular wiring connector to use for plugging into the CN2 and CN9 header on the game board?
It's on the first post of this thread. Just make sure you ONLY choose one. If your board has CN9 header DONT connect also the cables to CN2 or you may break something. either CN2 or CN9.

Guess it's time to get out the flashing setup to flash the firmware that will allow me to upgrade to this firmware :D

And also wondering if mixed-mode would work so I can run romhacks, too.
I asked this above and rtw stated that you can do mixed-mode...

You can run mix mode, just inject the zero key which happens to be only 20 bytes of 0xff
That makes me super happy :)

I am still interested if there were some previously non-decrypted ROMs that will now work because of this.

It is awesome, thank you thank you @Darksoft :thumbsup:
DSC_1455_resize.JPG
DSC_1454_resize.JPG
What type of connector and pins are you using for CN9?

If possible, digikey/mouser links would be appreciated. :thumbup:

I am still interested if there were some previously non-decrypted ROMs that will now work because of this.
Perhaps different regions for a particular game might not have been decrypted. It would also be really cool to have all revisions of each game (not simply the latest), for people who want to compare. Some CPS2 games had many revisions. XMN, VMH, and MSH all had 4 revisions. XVS had 5 revisions and DD2 was the worst with 6 revisions.
-ud

Reactions: rtw
What type of connector and pins are you using for CN9?
If possible, digikey/mouser links would be appreciated. :thumbup:
^ this. :D
Yeah, I had a difficult time finding the proper connector (H6P-SHF-AA). I just happened to have a box of old arcade wiring harnesses and a much longer version of that connector which I was able to cut down. There are a few distributors in the US that stock them, but not Digikey or Mouser:

https://octopart.com/h6p-shf-aa-jst-7833674

And as rtw stated, the pins are sold separately.

If you don't care about the keying (H6P-SHF-AA has a tab on one side that dictates orientation) and are confident to plug it in properly, you could use some other connector with the same pin style and spacing.

Another option is just soldering wires to the mobo. You have to solder wires to the multi, so not a huge stretch to also solder to the mobo.
-ud

JST NH series
Housing: H6P-SHF-AA
Pins: SHF-001T-0.8BS
uses 22-28 AWG wire

You can order directly through JST:
https://order.jst-mfg.com/InternetS...tedPage=mainContent&countryId=840&language=en

minimum order quantity is usually a quantity of 10 per part. so either order a few housings you dont need or setup a group by.

LOTS of Sega harnesses use JST NH series stuff if you've got any old equipment kicking around.

Wow! I never expected to see this happen, that's amazing!

Can this also be used to revive a dead board with a new battery? (I assume it can but would like to confirm) - have heard of others having issues particularly with older revisions getting the keys to reload with the Arduino setup, this would give another option to try and revive those

Unbelievable work Darksoft, Mitsurugi-W and team

building my own connectors remains the one aspect of this hobby that I just can't get myself into... definitely gonna cannibalize some old wiring unless someone here is up for building/selling some!

or maybe i should just not be lazy and learn how to crimp a pin on correctly...

Can this also be used to revive a dead board with a new battery? (I assume it can but would like to confirm)
I confirm. Can be used to revive a dead Board but you need to have a battery installed of course :)

building my own connectors remains the one aspect of this hobby that I just can't get myself into... definitely gonna cannibalize some old wiring unless someone here is up for building/selling some!

or maybe i should just not be lazy and learn how to crimp a pin on correctly...
I put off learning to crimp pins and replace harnesses and I regret not learning sooner.

Anyone has a good link to purchase the required tool for flashing the firmware? (EU based)

Back