What's new
With an F PAL and the wire connected it should work 100%. Check the audio jumpers.

Audio jumpers are correct, I’ll check a different game in case it’s a bad file.

NEWS:

Now from my site you can order Multi-CPS2 an add the option of the 4 wires adapter
cps2kr4w-1-500x500.jpg

Samsung are IMO the best ones. If they are 8Gb or 4GB in size, even better. Like this one:
Just the heads up, all (5-6) of my legit sandisk 64Gb bought from amazon (france) are dying, some of them have little mileage (wiiu, 3DS, I'm sure have less than 500Gb R/W), some don't have a lot (my gf's phone and mine), none of those where bought at the same time btw, but over the course of like 4 years.

I even saw on a switch hacking board, a couple of guys actually LOCKING their brand new sandisk 256gb because of intensive R/W (32Gb nand dumps)

on the other hand, my samsung 16Gb (same model as posted by Darksoft) is still working fine 4years on, and has great access time on top of that.
Got a 256 and 128Gb samsung evo plus couple month ago, no issues so far.

what I can tell you, is that if you value your time like I do, and you troubleshoot for hours on end and just end up figuring out it's a faulty sd card issue, do yourself a favor, and get good sd cards lol

Edit : as for the CPS3/Taito F3 talk, yeah, it's really sad how CPS3 prices have spiked, got one like 4years ago from Mitsurugi-W (thank you btw!) (never seen a parcel perfectly "tetris"-packed like that in my life lol) bottom line is, I could never afford one today, and SFIII3s is my favorite game ever, so I play it a lot now, thanks to you guys! ^^

Last edited:
Also backup good configurations and romsets to online storage.

As for cps3 still a work in progress for me. Lately it has been really rare for any boards to come up and people want a lot for a full working setup. I ordered a cheap “non tested” board off eBay. Prob won’t have much luck with it but I have a buddy who is good with electronics so figured it was worth a shot. Aannnndd I still need simms. It will come together one day.

Kind of relevant question if anyone knows. Can I test the board with no Simms in it? Will it give me something if I fire it up like that?

Haha after posting I realized I’m in a cps2 thread. Oh well if others are like me the addiction continues once you get cps2 running you want more!

Last edited:
Hi, quick question on the keys... I recently (a few months ago, but just got the donor board to install it) purchased another CPS2 Multi and it (not surprisingly) seems to have the most recent firmware on it which supports the keys. When I go to change games, a second step where it displays a message about writing keys appears after the game ROM load.

I have two other CPS2 multis, both of which are older, and I never updated the firmware, so I'm still using decrypted ROMs (and I'm fine with that). For the new one, I intended to continue to use the decrypted ROM sets, mainly for ease on my side so I don't need to manage additional file sets. However, now that I've installed, it doesn't seem to be working and I get a green or maroon screen after loading/restarting. I suspect this is due to the keys, because I didn't realize I had to drop in the dummy key file for decrypted ROMs that's on the first page of this thread. That's fine, and I can go add that file to every game folder on this SD card.

But my question is, am I required to install the extra wires now, or can I just leave it as long as I introduce the dummy key file into every game folder? I'd prefer to not have to add any wires, but I will if I have to. Thought it was worth asking before I do any additional work.

Thanks for any help/insight!!

If you want to run decrypted files then wires are not required and neither are the key files. If you are getting a blank screen you:

Dont have a suicided pcb
Have a bad sd card
Have the kit installed wrong
Interconnect PCB installed backwards

so I'm still using decrypted ROMs (and I'm fine with that). For the new one, I intended to continue to use the decrypted ROM sets,
Well, in that case as Mitsu said, you either:

* Dont install the 4 wires
or
* Have in each fiolder a file with the key and the key must be full of FFs.

I guess that you need first to shortcut EXC5 to make sure that the keys are discharged.

If you want to run decrypted files then wires are not required and neither are the key files. If you are getting a blank screen you:

Dont have a suicided pcb
Have a bad sd card
Have the kit installed wrong
Interconnect PCB installed backwards
This was great troubleshooting advice, thank you. I pulled the SD card off one of my other verified-working units and tried it in the new one and everything worked fine, so the issue was with the SD card. I've reformatted that and installed the ROMs and everything is now working fine on the new kit.
so I'm still using decrypted ROMs (and I'm fine with that). For the new one, I intended to continue to use the decrypted ROM sets,
Well, in that case as Mitsu said, you either:
* Dont install the 4 wires
or
* Have in each fiolder a file with the key and the key must be full of FFs.

I guess that you need first to shortcut EXC5 to make sure that the keys are discharged.
Thanks, thanks for clarifying about the wires.

I might do the installation at some point so I can run encrypted ROMs but honestly, I've had no issues whatsoever with the Avalaunch decrypted ROMs. I saw on this forum that there are apparently wiring kits available for the Key writing, so I'll probably pick up a few of them at some point and have a go at installing.

This was great troubleshooting advice, thank you. I pulled the SD card off one of my other verified-working units and tried it in the new one and everything worked fine, so the issue was with the SD card. I've reformatted that and installed the ROMs and everything is now working fine on the new kit.
Great! Glad it's working for you.

The key-writing wiring isn't difficult to do at all. I did that to my CPS2 multi earlier this year. The only difficulty is getting the bootloader onto the multi. That took some additional equipment and some fancy-shmancy programming stuff. Thankfully, I was able to get assistance here and once it's done once, it doesn't need to be done again.

Got the wires up in mine and everything runs flawlessly. The best part of using the encrypted sets is that if another region of a game, or revision of a CPS2 game, is discovered you'll be able to immediately load that onto your multi and start playing. (Provided the encryption key is also available).

Should be getting my multgame in the mail soon and currently prepping my board. The board I want to use is not currently suicided, but with the new key writing feature does the battery need to be removed anymore? I can remove it and always add it back in later (with the key) if I sell the board, but just wondering if removing the battery is absolutely necessary now.

Back