What's new
The chip doing the real security is DL-1525. The key writing data passes through DL-1827(CIF) and goes to DL-1525(SPA). If traces are broken due to corrosion or pins on either DL-1827 or DL-1525 are loose key writing will not work

The chip doing the real security is DL-1525. The key writing data passes through DL-1827(CIF) and goes to DL-1525(SPA). If traces are broken due to corrosion or pins on either DL-1827 or DL-1525 are loose key writing will not work
Incredibly unlikely to have damage that far (opposite side of board from battery) and not know whether "it might work." I've maybe seen 1 or 2 boards where acid damaged reached that far, and the damage between the battery and DL-1525 was impressive.
-ud

These chips happen to fail internally by having the bonding wires disconnect from either the lead frame or from the die.

These chips happen to fail internally by having the bonding wires disconnect from either the lead frame or from the die.
Anytime "corrosion" is used in the context of CPS2, you can bet people are thinking about a battery problem :) Was this discovered during Eduardo Cruz' CPS2 research?

The ones that would not work I never got to work. No problems with any other revision B-board. I've only had 3 or 4 out of maybe 20 that have not worked for me. All -4 pcbs.
Out of morbid curiosity, I went through all my boards and labeled the cases with PCB revs. For the sake of this discussion, I did the following on 5 unique Rev. 4 boards:

1) Power up and make sure working
2) Wipe key and make sure not working
3) Re-write key and make sure working again

All 5 Rev. 4 boards passed fine. No retries or anything funky. If you are curious about the titles, they were: Vampire Hunter (J), Super SFII (U), Jyangoku(J), SFA2(U), and Super Muscle Bomber(J).
-ud

Regarding chips internal corrosion, these chips happen to fail internally by having the pins disconnect from either the lead frame or from the die.
220px-DIP_package_sideview.PNG

I should have posted a visual cue. When the bonding wire fails the pin becomes disconnected and the effect is exactly the same as a broken trace.

Edit:
The corrosion problem is particularly acute with the CPS1 customs CPS-A-01 and CPS-B-xx which are made by Ricoh. Konami boards which have plenty of Fujitsu made chips are also affected with such a problem. Of course, besides the DL-1525 which is a Motorola made chip all other chips on the CPS2 B board are made bu Fujitsu. (why you think they have that big Fujitsu logo on Rolento's stage in SFZ2?)

Last edited:
Hello,

Sorry to be a pain, but I just want to make sure I have this right.

I just got my Multi Boot in the mail about a week ago and hooked it up today. Works great with decrypted games and it's friggin awesome!

So if I want to run encrypted games, I just need to add the 4 wires because this should already have the newest firmware? And at that point I wont need the reset wire to get the games to reset automatically once they are loaded?

Thanks!

Good morning everyone ! Guys , should i solder these wires even if on the heads they are others than JST Nh connector ? I use insted of these JST connector, 4 dupont wires ... like in below images ! Thank you !
Picture.jpg

Picture1.jpg
Done ! For one of the first solder wires , the kit still working ... Now the games starts right away was flashed :whistling: :saint:
Update :
photo 1-2.JPG

photo 3-2.JPG

Last edited:
You solder the other ends to the multi kit, you don't need to solder the wires to the header on the B board. As long as the DuPont connectors hold on ok I don't see it being an issue

The new keywriting FW works like a charm! I know its a bit late but (and I might have said it before) thanks for making this possible!

Installed a new fan in my cps2 multisetup today and I noticed my CPS2 mobo has a pimped Z80 :)
(I know they can run in regular z80 mode, just a bit suprised)

Attachments

• 20181019_1802522.jpg
    20181019_1802522.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 196
The new keywriting FW works like a charm! I know its a bit late but (and I might have said it before) thanks for making this possible!

Installed a new fan in my cps2 multisetup today and I noticed my CPS2 mobo has a pimped Z80 :)
(I know they can run in regular z80 mode, just a bit suprised)
What is a Z80 and what difference does a pimped one make and how is it "pimped" over a regular one?

Processor used for sound on CPS2. Only a standard Z80 required, but his has a Kabuki variant (extra security poppy and some other stuff). No benefit in this application, just interesting.
-ud

Ok, interesting. Thought it was something more special than that, lol

Processor used for sound on CPS2. Only a standard Z80 required, but his has a Kabuki variant (extra security poppy and some other stuff). No benefit in this application, just interesting.
-ud
From the factory or installed by a previous owner? If from factory that's very interesting

Back