What's new
You don't need to mess with the jumpers. It should work as long as they were set correctly for the game that was installed.
This is news/confusing to me. When I set up my multi, I swapped the original PAL for a G PAL and set all the jumpers as if it were a G PAL game. Are you saying that if it were originally a working E PAL game, I didn't need to change anything for the multi?
-ud

When did that change?
Depends on the game used, Marvel vs Capcom didn't need any jumper setting/resetting for example.Its for this hastlefree reason I recommend using this game.

Sure others work just fine, but lets review all the features that make MvC the best doner board.
  • G-PAL stock
  • Jumpers pre-configured for the multi
  • Rev 7 motherboard (assuming its NOT a factory rework)
  • It's a shitty game
Added one more bullet point :)

Added one more bullet point
I think true... But also an opinion people could disagree with, you could say...
"Very popular/common CPS2 game" and still be saying basically the same thing (its ok to sac it).

...... that’s going to cause a fight with quite a few people

You don't need to mess with the jumpers. It should work as long as they were set correctly for the game that was installed.
This is news/confusing to me. When I set up my multi, I swapped the original PAL for a G PAL and set all the jumpers as if it were a G PAL game. Are you saying that if it were originally a working E PAL game, I didn't need to change anything for the multi?-ud
We always thought the jumpers must match the G PAL jumpers but as it turns out the way the multi works as long as the jumpers are set correctly for any game it should work fine. You do still need a G Pal. I don't know technically all the details but maybe @l_oliveira can chime in as he is the one who explained it to me.

It's also still a good troubleshooting practice to change the jumpers to the recommended setting if having issues. Sometimes jumpers were set incorrectly at the factory.

I loved xmvsf, then skip straight to mvc2.
Xmen vs sf was an amazing game. Despite all the cheap infinites that were in the game...it was still fun to play. Marvel vs Street fighter was meh, but it had great presentation and the announcer was awesome. MVC comes around and its just a pile a poo with goofy ass mechanics.

I have no problem killing a perfectly working mvc board for a multi, mainly because its the easiest to find and meets all the requirements for the multi. I also hate the game, so I guess that's a huge factor too lol.

The jumpers have ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the CPS2 MULTI. The purpose of the jumpers were select the function of the pin 32 (BYTE on 27C160, A20 on 27C322) . The CPS2 multi does not use the pin 32 at all, it collects A20 bus signal from the white connectors.

Therefore stop telling people to mess with the jumpers. (lol)

X-Men vs SF IS an amazing game. One of only 3 I kept as a standalone board while also having the multi.

The jumpers have ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the CPS2 MULTI. The purpose of the jumpers were select the function of the pin 32 (BYTE on 27C160, A20 on 27C322) . The CPS2 multi does not use the pin 32 at all, it collects A20 bus signal from the white connectors.

Therefore stop telling people to mess with the jumpers. (lol)
8|

good news then for people who easily want to be able to convert their multi back to the original game :thumbup:

When did that change?
Depends on the game used, Marvel vs Capcom didn't need any jumper setting/resetting for example.Its for this hastlefree reason I recommend using this game.

Sure others work just fine, but lets review all the features that make MvC the best doner board.
  • G-PAL stock
  • Jumpers pre-configured for the multi
  • Rev 7 motherboard (assuming its NOT a factory rework)
I have a green jap MVC witch is not rev.7 (revelead in UD's InfiniKey CPS2 theard) . it's not fun to use a rev.4 for a multi, but if you have no choice (like the best donors --- rev.7 games) ... you gonna make you little bit effort to be happy after all :whistling:
For the multi kit i used as a donor a jap. rev.6 Marvel vs. Street Fighter.

Okay, so there is no good guide for a fresh install or modifying an old install. Bummer town.

for the record I installed a darksoft kit which was sold in mid October 2018 today, into a v4 board CPS2. I was able to get the firmware loaded on there by SD, so its got the new firmware with key injection now. I had the 4 wires soldered between the CPS2 and the darksoft PCB at the time - and it did not destroy the boot-loader. Also using a PAL-G chip with leg 9 connected to the darksoft board on j17.

Thanks a bunch @Darksoft for the help via PM. You sir are a legend.

Now, @CoinFeeder can play _all_ the CPS2 titles :thumbsup:

OK @Darksoft I've had my FULL kit for over a year in the box and I just finally got around to installing it. I know a lot has changed so here is what I wanted to clear up.

I just cut the battery off my MSHvsSF (93646B-7)
It has a BGSB3G PAL (but I ordered a GAL16V8B)
I have removed all the ROMs per the PDF
I installed both boards and connected via jumper board/IDE.
I have the 4 wire connector on CN9 but not soldered to the main DS board (firmware update?)
I connected the ribbon cable to the LCD.

1. Do I need to swap pal chips?
2. Do I need to put a jumper from pin 9 on Pal to J17?
3. Do I need to jumper out or remove any of those tiny jumpers on the B board?
4. I'm sure I need a firmware update since I see something about the Cn9 connector corrupting boot-loader if connected, and where do I get that firmware?

Thanks and super excited!!

Last edited:
OK @Darksoft I've had my FULL kit for over a year in the box and I just finally got around to installing it. I know a lot has changed so here is what I wanted to clear up.

I have the 4 wire connector on CN9 but not soldered to the main DS board (firmware update?)

4. I'm sure I need a firmware update since I see something about the Cn9 connector corrupting boot-loader if connected, and where do I get that firmware?

You have an easy installation :)

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. If you bought it a year ago you're already on the latest firmware. Install your key writing wires and microsd card and you're good to go

You have an easy installation :)
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. If you bought it a year ago you're already on the latest firmware. Install your key writing wires and microsd card and you're good to go
Thanks @xodaraP

OK. That is my last question.

SD card new out of the package. Do I format for fat32? I assume I just download a roll up pack and go?

Back