What's new
If anyone has enough leftover parts to make me a harness, I'd love to buy one. I can always solder this up myself, but I figured I'd ask here first for the cleaner solution.
assuming the boxes of stuff I just ordered contain a suitable connector, I'll hook you up!

thanks @twistedsymphony! I'll just buy all those to get started. I do have some short prebuilt dupont cables already but I think that kit with some ribbon cable would come in handy.
FWIW I buy "Stellar Labs" "hook up wire" from MCM electronics (or at least I used to, they merged with Newark) those dupont connectors really prefer 26AWG, you can run 24AWG but anything larger than that really wont fit in the connector housing. I think NH connectors and most of the other things I listed can support up to 22)

old picture but I used a paper towel holder as a wire rack on my work bench:
10683851_775864645805612_1392524459_n.jpg

I've since stepped down to smaller spools (25ft) which allows me to fit twice as many colors. I run all 24awg on this holster but keep other sizes in a box for when I need them.

I'm a big fan of using whatever the largest supported gauge wire is for a given connector. This is especially true when crimping power wires or long harnesses.

While we wait for the roll-up pack here is a rough guide to making encrypted sets.

All that is needed is to replace the program ROMs. The program ROMs are stored in the 02 file.

Then you extract the program files, concatenate them and pad them to 4MiB.

[I have attached some blank files to make life easier]

Let us take Dimahoo as an example. Start with the MAME set.

Open a command line window:

unzip \tmp\dimahoo.zip

The program ROMs are the ones from 3 - 6, you can get this info the the MAME source code or looking at the extensions.

copy /b gmde.03+gmd.04+gmd.05+gmd.06 gmd.bin

dir gmd.bin

11.11.2017 18:21 2 097 152 gmd.bin

We see that gmd.bin is 2 MiB so we need to pad it:

copy /b gmd.bin+blank_2mib.02 gmd.02

ren dimahoo.key key

xcopy /y gmd.02 i:\games\dimahoo
xcopy /y key i:\games\dimahoo

Then enjoy this fantastic game from RAIZING

View attachment blank.zip

If anyone needs JST pins, hit me up. I have like 4000+ pins left. I'll give you around 50 which should keep you happy with your other projects too. You'll just need the connectors.
I have 13-pin JST NH connectors...tons of them. A razor blade makes quick work of trimming them to the size needed. If anyone needs some, just let me know.

If anyone has enough leftover parts to make me a harness, I'd love to buy one. I can always solder this up myself, but I figured I'd ask here first for the cleaner solution.
I bought the bits in Australia and they come in packs of 10. If anyone on my side of the world needs one send a PM.

I just did the wire mod (93646B-7 version B-board) I actually found a old Madcatz joystick header that fit CN9 perfectly...
XkbqiPy.jpg

Only problem, as suspected my firmware is too old to update to the next one via SD card?
I've asked @Mitsurugi-w for confirmation of this and assistance in updating manually if nessary.

I don't want to buy a bitblaster for this one update/device. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The programmer is only like $5 shipped iirc, probably cheaper than shipping your multi back and forth

This is so Epic! Great work team!

Looking forward to my new multi turning up.... Hopefully it comes this week. That's the problem with living at the bottom of the world, it takes so long for stuff to arrive.

New link with some more converted encrypted games. Someone wants to give a hand at converting more??
I am working on an automatic program generator, however there is one snag.
MAME has split sets so some sets are split across 2 zip files for example 1944j borrows from the parent set 1944 so:

Z:\cps2\a.exe D:\set\1944.zip
[3] nffu.03
[4] nff.04
[5] nffu.05

No problem, flash.02 is created and the file: key.

Z:\cps2\a.exe D:\set\1944j.zip
[3] nffj.03
[5] nffj.05
error non consecutive ROM order at: 5

Did not find nff.04 since it is in: 1944.zip!

The solution is of course to create fully merged sets, but that is yet to be done.

The solution is of course to create fully merged sets, but that is yet to be done.
pretty sure I can grab a merged .191 set off pleasuredome and drop it on Mega later tonight, if you need

This is why our environment is screwed lol, this much packaging for some crimp connectors. They didn't ship the JST housings in the same box, those apparently are coming from somewhere else.

*slow clap*

IMG_3867.JPG

Just gonna throw this out there but, why not solder jumpers? They should snuggly fit on the headers on the B board.

Further question, were the multikits just sent out last month, do they need the firmware updated?

Just gonna throw this out there but, why not solder jumpers? They should snuggly fit on the headers on the B board.
Because we are kind of snobbish. Lots of us started getting into the arcade hobby and have had to undo some of solder jobs from operators to make our stuff look classy. But yeah, that would work too, provided you have a soldering iron. You'll be surprised, lots of people don't. And then there are lots that are scared of picking one up too.

Back