What's new
Hi, just to be sure! :))

I have to install the wires first and after that update the firmware, is that correct?

Sorry for this stupid question, but the warning is a bit misleading for me. ^^
Nope, it's the other way around. First update the firmware (with wires removed) and then install them.

P.S. Please update your profile with your approx. location.

Ahh, ok.

Meanwhile i only removed the reset wire swd5.
Is it good to update the firmware now or do i have to resolder the reset wire again before the update?
The Bootloader is normaly not necessary for me?

Last edited:
Ahh, ok.

Meanwhile i only removed the reset wire swd5.
Is it good to update the firmware now or do i have to resolder the reset wire again before the update?
The Bootloader is normaly not necessary for me?
Just dont have the wires connected between the kit and the PCB when updating.
without the wires your psio won't be detected, so yes and be careful with the traces
Wrong thread?

I updated my 1st run board the other day. I did the sound fix and attached the discovery and put the new bootloader firmware on the board. Then I put the new keywriting firmware on the sd card and booted with that, then connected the 4 wires for my board. If I run the key writing roms, the rom loads and the LCD says it is loading key, then i get either a garbled screen or a blank screen. I tried shorting EXEC 1 and same issue. If I put the avalanche roms back on everything works fine and has auto reset. I am assuming if I see the message about key writing my firmware update went fine, so not sure whats causing those roms to fail to work vs the avalanche ones.

If the wires are connected wrong, no key is programmed. Encrypted roms will not start unless the exact key they require is programmed on the processor.

Only one of the wires has to be right for the auto reset to work. All four need to be right for key writing to work.

If the wires are connected wrong, no key is programmed. Encrypted roms will not start unless the exact key they require is programmed on the processor.

Only one of the wires has to be right for the auto reset to work. All four need to be right for key writing to work.
I just double checked them with a multimeter and they are all correct using this config on a 93646b-3
DATA ? CN2 A32
SETUP1 ? CN2 A30
CLOCK ? CN2 A31
SETUP2 ? CN2 A29

after installing the bootloader, did you do a firm upgrade copying the flash.img to the microsd? Did the file disappear after updating?

after installing the bootloader, did you do a firm upgrade copying the flash.img to the microsd? Did the file disappear after updating?
I cant remember if the file dissapeared, but I was on the original release stock firmware when updating, if I am seeing the message about the key being written I am assuming the new firmware was loaded since it wasnt on the original firmware.

If the wires are correct then not really. I've come across 3 revision 4 b boards now that wont write the key no matter what. Maybe his is one of those unfortunate pcbs.

If the wires are correct then not really. I've come across 3 revision 4 b boards now that wont write the key no matter what. Maybe his is one of those unfortunate pcbs.
Do you think re loading the latest firmware could possibly fix it? I would just need to unsolder the 4 wires and put the img back on the sd card right?

That's right. It's worth a try but you might just have a PCB that key-writing wont work on. Every one I've had trouble with is a -4 but I have gotten some working also.

That's right. It's worth a try but you might just have a PCB that key-writing wont work on. Every one I've had trouble with is a -4 but I have gotten some working also.
No dice. I re installed the firmware, confirmed the image file was gone from the SDcard, hooked up the 4 wires. Loaded a couple games, one gave a garbled screen, one gave a pure black screen. Deleted the key writing roms and loaded the avalanche roms, works normally with the avalanche. Guess I got the short end of the stick on my B board. What did you do to get some of the problem boards to start working?

Edit: Am I supposed to be using the no battery file with the avalanche stuff? I dont have that file and it seems to be working fine, is this an indicator of something?

Last edited:
Since key writing is failing, I don't think it matters. If the board is kept battery less it will stay into the "dead" state, which is what the decrypted ROMs need. So having the key files or not will not have any effect. If you're paranoid drop the nobatt file on each rom directory...

The ones that would not work I never got to work. No problems with any other revision B-board. I've only had 3 or 4 out of maybe 20 that have not worked for me. All -4 pcbs.

The ones that would not work I never got to work. No problems with any other revision B-board. I've only had 3 or 4 out of maybe 20 that have not worked for me. All -4 pcbs.
Mine is a -3 PCB, guess I will stick with Avalanche, not the biggest deal in the world, was just trying to get everything completely up to date.
Since key writing is failing, I don't think it matters. If the board is kept battery less it will stay into the "dead" state, which is what the decrypted ROMs need. So having the key files or not will not have any effect. If you're paranoid drop the nobatt file on each rom directory...
Gotcha, guess that just confirms mine is not key writing at all.

by the way have you checked if there is any bent pin, short or apparent disorder on the pcb ?

Interesting you should say that, I've had the same issue on 2 rev 4 boards. Not sure what it is about them. Both grey, in case it makes a difference.

is that PCB maybe routed differently? has anyone verified that the suggested solder points on the -4 boards go where they're expected to go?

Back