What's new
That's what I did, loaded the firmware by itself onto microsd, inserted it into the multi and booted it, checked it was gone from the card and connected the wires up

Has anyone with a -3 or -4 revision B-board actually got the key writing to work yet? If so I'd like to see. I've tried twice with no success. I'd like to see pictures of it working if anyone has them. I've had zero problems with -5, -6, and -7 pcbs.

Has anyone with a -3 or -4 revision B-board actually got the key writing to work yet? If so I'd like to see. I've tried twice with no success. I'd like to see pictures of it working if anyone has them. I've had zero problems with -5, -6, and -7 pcbs.
Yeah see my post on page 9 ;)

It's a 93646B-3 board.

Yeah see my post on page 9 ;)
It's a 93646B-3 board.
Did you finally get it working?

Yeah see my post on page 9 ;) It's a 93646B-3 board.
Yeah I just had to reflash the bootloader on the CPS2 multi again. No problems after that.

Yeah I just had to reflash the bootloader on the CPS2 multi again. No problems after that.
Can I see some close up pictures of your connections with your wires?

I have on my Rev 3 board with no issues.

Here's a picture don't have a closer one but it should be ok.

IMG_0914.jpg

Can I see some close up pictures of your connections with your wires?
My cats killed my phone recently, but here's the best I was able to manage with the available camera here.

Sorry for the blurry pics! If anything it will show you that my soldering job was somewhat rushed and amateur. Nothing special.

Attachments

• 1444890596656979246.jpg
    1444890596656979246.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 4227574180262701797.jpg
    4227574180262701797.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 9129694773457153121s3.jpg
    9129694773457153121s3.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 154
Whats the downside of not doing this?
Tangible benefit is that there was mention of a game or two that hasn't been Phoenixed or Avalaunch decrypted. So not upgrading means you lose out on the ability to play those games. I don't know what games those were but are posted on this thread somewhere.

There are those that say the Avalaunch roms aren't properly decrypted, are inferior to Phoenix roms, or the general purist notion that it isn't an authentic experience. The key writing firmware rests all those concerns. If you have been fine with your CPS2 experience thus far and don't have those purist concerns, probably a wash as to whether you put in the effort to upgrade the firmware or not.

Exactly what @acblunden2 says, in the firmware and roms up to now modification had to be made to run them without key on a battery less board.

The new firmware uses unmodified roms and writes a key on every boot to run them.
So you could even revive a dead board with it as long as you fit a new battery

Im not physically capable of doing the mod anymore, that's why I was asking. Ive never had any problems with the Avalaunch ROMs and it plays all the games I care about. Puzzle Fighter FTW!

In that case leave it be ;)

Only thing you need to keep in mind is that the roll up packs from now on are designed for the new firmware and won’t work for you.

So get the previous version of the rom pack and stick with it

If you are someone who just likes to play the games (I suspect most are) then just leave your FW as it is and enjoy!

I do think that since this new FW will be standard that the installation instructions need to be overhauled finally. The first instruction should read as this:

1) If you are not capable of soldering medium pitch joints with an adjustable heat soldering iron then please send it to someone for installation or install the Final Decrypted Rom firmware available in the appropriate thread on Arcade-Projects.com. The solder pads can be easily burned off rendering your kit inoperable. We are not responsible for damage done to your kit during installation.

I had today off due to a snow day so my cps2 weekend project ended up being a today project. Happy to report it worked perfectly on my version 4 board. Add the flash file to the root of my sd card, booted it up, you will see a flashing light next to the sd card slot and a mostly blank lcd but the progress bars have a faint look to them, then after about 10 seconds it stops and you see the normal game screen on the lcd hinting it is done, turned it off, confirmed the flash file was removed off my sd card, replaced my games folder with the new rom pack from smokemonster (I backed up my card first in case I had to roll this firmware back), unsoldered the reboot wire, added those four wires as listed on the first post, I skipped adding the resister, put my sd card back in, and it booted right up. No issues at all. Well... except for a grazed finger that got too close to the soldering iron.

I was on the fence on upgrading since I was happy with the decrypted roms but the whole point of getting into cps2 and neogeo was these were my favorite arcade systems when I used to go bowling or to a put put golf and I wanted authentic. Now I got it. Plus I like the new rom pack better.

Kind of in hog heaven at the moment. I got an ossc (previous setup was framemeister via mak strike) and 4k tlc tv for christmas and man do these games look amazing at 5x with 25% scanlines. Can't wait for the neogeo multi I ordered. The 161 in 1 lets me play and see the amazing picture but the default very hard modes get old after a while.

I had today off due to a snow day so my cps2 weekend project ended up being a today project. Happy to report it worked perfectly on my version 4 board. Add the flash file to the root of my sd card, booted it up, you will see a flashing light next to the sd card slot and a mostly blank lcd but the progress bars have a faint look to them, then after about 10 seconds it stops and you see the normal game screen on the lcd hinting it is done, turned it off, confirmed the flash file was removed off my sd card, replaced my games folder with the new rom pack from smokemonster (I backed up my card first in case I had to roll this firmware back), unsoldered the reboot wire, added those four wires as listed on the first post, I skipped adding the resister, put my sd card back in, and it booted right up. No issues at all. Well... except for a grazed finger that got too close to the soldering iron.

I was on the fence on upgrading since I was happy with the decrypted roms but the whole point of getting into cps2 and neogeo was these were my favorite arcade systems when I used to go bowling or to a put put golf and I wanted authentic. Now I got it. Plus I like the new rom pack better.

Kind of in hog heaven at the moment. I got an ossc (previous setup was framemeister via mak strike) and 4k tlc tv for christmas and man do these games look amazing at 5x with 25% scanlines. Can't wait for the neogeo multi I ordered. The 161 in 1 lets me play and see the amazing picture but the default very hard modes get old after a while.
Can we see some pictures of your setup?

When you upgrade the FW just watch the ARM. The light next to the ARM will come on and then flash rapidly for a few seconds followed by a few slow flashes. When the light stops flashing you know it is finished and it is safe to power down.

Im not physically capable of doing the mod anymore, that's why I was asking. Ive never had any problems with the Avalaunch ROMs and it plays all the games I care about. Puzzle Fighter FTW!
Are you all good there brutha? That statement makes me wonder about your well being. Someone here can help you get it done if need be. Stay up man.

I don't think the wire mod is difficult, but if you feel it's not for you the decrypted sets are also just fine far as I could tell.

My hope the last few games still get decrypted for those not comfortable with the mod.

My hope the last few games still get decrypted for those not comfortable with the mod.
Spark my memory and save me the anguish of looking back through this thread, and name which games those are? Por favor.

Back