What's new
Pink/purple screen suggests the board has suicided. Flashing a new game (and thus a new key being written) should clear that up assuming your key programming is working properly.

Were you able to see text on the LCD before upgrading the firmware? If not you may need to tweak the contrast on it.

No I wasn't able to see any text on my LCD screen when I turned on the system + darksoft to update the fw* and it's an enclosed variant, how do I tweak the LCD contrast?

*The fw image file was gone when I put the micro SD card back to the PC to view the data so it should have been updated.

Ok, now I can see the LCD screen properly. Selecting a MAME rom, does the Flash Writing and then the extra Key Writing afterwards and says "Currently Playing: Alien VS Predator". The screen is still pink.
So there is a possible loose connection somewhere.

Ok, now I can see the LCD screen properly. Selecting a MAME rom, does the Flash Writing and then the extra Key Writing afterwards and says "Currently Playing: Alien VS Predator". The screen is still pink.
So there is a possible loose connection somewhere.
Did you connect besides the 4 wires, also the reset wire?

Just the 4 wires, no reset wire because I legitimately forgot.
So instead, I turn it off and then back on the system after it has written a game for a manual reset.
Still nothing.

There is probably a problem with your four programming wires. The reset wire shouldn't be needed with the new firmware, it will auto reset after you program a new game (as long as you have the four wires properly attached).

Double check your programming wires.

There is probably a problem with your four programming wires. The reset wire shouldn't be needed with the new firmware, it will auto reset after you program a new game (as long as you have the four wires properly attached).

To program the keys you need the reset wire. If you use an old romset as they dont have the file with the keys it will just program the flashes without trying to program the keys. Obviously if your screen shows pink or blue it most probably means that there is still some keys programmed in the multi, so you need to shortcut EXC5 (with the multi and everything POWERED OFF). In any case your best bet is to use the latest romsets and have both the 4 wires and the reset wire in place.

You can still try shorting exc5 once to clear it.

Sounds to me like a minor issue though. Such as the pcbs not being pushed together tightly or the interconnect pcb installed backwards (which I've see twice lately).

Does it work when you load the MVC Unlocked rom?

To program the keys you need the reset wire. If you use an old romset as they dont have the file with the keys it will just program the flashes without trying to program the keys. Obviously if your screen shows pink or blue it most probably means that there is still some keys programmed in the multi, so you need to shortcut EXC3 (with the multi and everything POWERED OFF). In any case your best bet is to use the latest romsets and have both the 4 wires and the reset wire in place.
He's using the rom pack with keys so the reset wire is unnecessary i his case.

To program the keys you need the reset wire. If you use an old romset as they dont have the file with the keys it will just program the flashes without trying to program the keys. Obviously if your screen shows pink or blue it most probably means that there is still some keys programmed in the multi, so you need to shortcut EXC5 (with the multi and everything POWERED OFF). In any case your best bet is to use the latest romsets and have both the 4 wires and the reset wire in place.
Pretty sure the instructions say to remove the reset wire when you go to the new firmware and four programming wires?

With just the four programming wires, my multi auto resets after programming a new game....

I can say that my solder attempt needs a bit of an improvement, the good news is that it just needs a bit more over the wire.
if right most is CN9 #1 then from right to left it's
Empty = CN9 #1
Blue = CN9 #2
Blue b = CN9 #3
Red = CN9 #4
Red b = CN9 #5
Empty = CN9 #6
CPS2 Board soldersmall.jpg

BTW I upgraded the FW in @brentradio 's kit and installed the wires on his -3 pcb and it is working great with my same setup I tried before. So there must be something different about certain -4 pcbs that are causing issues since I know of four -4 pcbs that it does't work on.

I can say that my solder attempt needs a bit of an improvement, the good news is that it just needs a bit more over the wire.
Empty = CN9 #1
Blue = CN9 #2
Blue b = CN9 #3
Red = CN9 #4
Red b = CN9 #5
Empty = CN9 #6
The left pin of CN9 is #1.

So:

SWCLK goes to CN9 #2
SWD6 goes to CN9 #3
SWD8 goes to CN9 #4
SWD7 goes to CN9 #5

Which ROM pack are you using? Could be an issue with the ROM file itself? Or maybe the SD card?

Was this board working at one point, or under your ownership has it always been Phenox/suicide?

I'm just thinking the B-boards ability to store a key is damaged.

Empty = CN9 #1
Blue = CN9 #2
Blue b = CN9 #3
Red = CN9 #4
Red b = CN9 #5
Empty = CN9 #6
Yeah it doesn't look like you have good connections there.

I'd start over and apply a bit of flux to the pads you're soldering to. This should help you get a good connection and clean soldering results.

Also maybe add a bit of solder to those pads first before soldering the wires.

I think he needs to check the order of his wires. Sounds like he has them backwards.

Pretty sure the instructions say to remove the reset wire when you go to the new firmware and four programming wires?
With just the four programming wires, my multi auto resets after programming a new game....
I mixed things, reset wire is also called SETUP2 and is the cable going to pin #5. So only those 4 are enough.

My method was to slightly heat up the gold pads so that you can get a small dab of solder, I also tin the wire which makes the last bit doable by placing the soldered wire next to the soldered spot from earlier, you get the idea what happens next.

You could say it was a mixture of precise solder and nerves due to a pricey kit that held me back for now.
I think he needs to check the order of his wires. Sounds like he has them backwards.
I actually watched your video for reference and my wiring order to certain spots is correct, I just replied to you with wrong numbering order.

Back