What's new
@FrancoB that install looks clean man, makes mine look like crap... ;)
Anyway, thanks for the pics, got some good ideas from it for future work!
Thanks. I don't find trying to make things neat much more effort than not. It tends to look nicer and if things are tidy then there's less chance of wires getting caught etc.
Feel free to steal away. I got the idea for a mult pin connector on the C connector from @fredjss :)

I've done a little more digging and there looked to be a thread linked to in [this] post with some information but the link doesn't seem to work...
The file you need is in this rar. Ignore the flash file. It is an old version.RENAME TO .RAR BEFORE OPENING!!
Thanks very much Mitsu! I presume you update the boot loader with the Discovery board in the same way that you update the firmware?

My multi currently has the non-working/booting 'flash.bin' firmware. I'm guessing I should do the following:
  • Flash the PFG____0002.bin (old auto-reset firmware) back to the multi using the Discovery board so I have a working board again
  • Flash the sd_bootloader.bin file to the multi using the Discovery board.
  • Put the flash.img file (from the OP) on a microSD card and update the firmware to key writing.
  • Profit?
I'll not connect the clock/data/setup1/setup2 connector until the above is done.

Thanks for the continued help.
Very good job @FrancoB :thumbsup:

I recently purchased a 2nd hand multi and maybe I’m blind, but I tried and couldn’t find the procedure for checking what firmware I have and the procedure for updating the firmware.

Just attempt to update it, if the update fails to do anything you have the older firmware that must be bitblasted onto the multi.

Alrighty. Formatted my flash card after backing it up. Put the update in the root, and a decrypted game with the blank key in the games directory. I saw the flashing and it looks like it updated. I have to shut off and back on to load a game now, but it works. So I think I’m good to go. Just need to connect the 4 wire connector I crimped to solder to the board and put the encrypted romset on my sd card. I have a buddy who is good with electronics to do the soldering. Thanks for the help!

One little question. What games not in that rollup do you guys add? I have some extra space so might as well put some more things on there. Sf2 turbo? Punisher? Ssf2 training? Any other region versions of games that have something interesting? The rollup is cool but I’m assuming most people add some more things.

With the help of a friend I now have this working with the encrypted romset. Soldered my 4 pin connector and cut the reset wire. All that is left to do is add some things not in that romset and eventually move it to Jansens sweet housing whenever he makes another batch of them. On to getting a working f3 setup then cps3. The fun never ends!

On to getting a working f3 setup then cps3.
You can get a F3 with cart for around 150~250$ these days, not too bad I'd prob focus on that first.
CPS3 holy crap be ready for that one, you almost never see them complete any more... Just parts like motherboard, sims, security carts and discs.
A unpopulated working CPS3 motherboard can run 200~300$ alone.

Yeah there was a cps3 board with Simms on eBay for $250 but it’s gone. I questioned what sizes the Simms were but prob should have just snatched it up. Oh well. I’ll find one eventually. I have a f3 board that does not work but eBay seller said it was working so I’m following up with him. Ordered another from another seller in the meantime. I’m trying to be somewhat patient. Can play cps2 and the other boards I have in the meantime.

is there an approved micro sd card. I sent a cps2 multi off to Jnx to install hes getting no sd card found.

Im positive i formated and put the roms in the right area so it has to be the card.

Yup, no change. If I use my own SD I get a “LCD Init” and it just stays like that From jnx.
It was a pheonixed board. I sent my board and a sd card i copied the roms onto. Am i missing something.
mdJWA2q.jpg

Last edited:
I think you should contact @Mitsurugi-w and see if he can have a look at it.

Did you buy from Paradise? If so, did you get a 2nd PAL from them?

With my SD card I added the /update folder and the boot file to root. I wasn’t sure where to put the battery file so I left it in the root.

Powered it up and it got to the game select but after choosing a game it just hangs on Flashing *, tried moving the battery file into /games and no change so at this point I’m just lost.

Also confused with the mixed comments about leaving on the 4 wires or removing them. Does leaving them on only work on certain revisions?

If you fit the four wires wiring without having the new key writing firmware uploaded to the CPS2 Multi, the CPS2 board will be kept held down at reset state. You will get no sync signal (aka no video) from the CPS2 board while it is on that state.

If you fit the four wires wiring without having the new key writing firmware uploaded to the CPS2 Multi, the CPS2 board will be kept held down at reset state. You will get no sync signal (aka no video) from the CPS2 board while it is on that state.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. It was confusing because someone said they did it without removing them.

Also, is there a list of approved SD cards? The one the customer supplied seemed to be the same as others used, it's an EVO 32G.

Ok removed the 4 wires and no difference. This board supposedly already had the updated firmware.

Am I supposed to flash it with the old firmware and start all over at this point?

Can you take a picture of the small board which attaches to the eprom sockets 03-10?

No, you aren't supposed to need to change the firmware.

that looks to me like a microSD problem. What microSD are you using?

@Mitsurugi-w

Can you take a picture of the small board which attaches to the eprom sockets 03-10?
Are you referring to the PCB coupler or the PROG PCB itself? Both are fully seated.
No, you aren't supposed to need to change the firmware.

that looks to me like a microSD problem. What microSD are you using?

@Mitsurugi-w
The only cards I have myself are:
Kingston SDHC C4 4gb
Samsung SDHC C2 8gb

The customer’s card was a Samsung SDHC C1 32gb EVO

The EVO is the one that the multi doesn’t detect, looking at it on the PC, the EVO has a permanent boot partition on it or something. Tried reformatting and no change. The EVO shows up as two HDDs.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I’ve done a few multis but they were the ones without this key thing.

Hmm. Maybe somthing wrong with that sd card. Have you tried another card?

Back