What's new
Is it doing this with the GD Rom disconnected also?

You may have blown a buffer. BTW a failed GD Rom drive can fry your DIMM too.

After cycling the power many times it finally loaded the game.

Maybe cart based games are the way to go after all.

Attachments

• IMG_20171214_175241.jpg
    IMG_20171214_175241.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Regarding Error 22, Ken has this to say (from Arcade-Museum):

Well I thought I'd jump in here. I have repaired thousands of DIMM assys and re the error 22, there are 3 reasons for this aside from the Media bd not being seated correctly. Most common cause is yes, the Fairchild 16245 buffer on "solderside" of pcb. All Fairchild buffers used on Sega platforms from Naomi thru Hikaru will fail eventually if they haven't already. Simple fix. Next would be the firmware at IC14/36 (FLASH ROM not EEROM) getting corrupted or just bad. Also simple fix. Next but much less common is the BGA at IC2 turning into a charcoal due to a shorted GDROM Drive. I have repaired around 200 of these where Drive shorted so bad, it fed back thru SCSI port and cooked this IC along with damaging FLASH and buffer. Somewhat simple fix.
I would take it as gospel. I get Error 22 on two of my DIMM boards, both boards were in cabs that had +5V voltage over 5.15. After adjusting voltages on all my cabs to slightly over 5V I haven't had any subsequent issues with DIMM boards. Check your voltages and grab another DIMM.

Thank you for the info ∆∆∆∆

I believe that I may have just had the dimm board seated incorrectly causing the error 22. Prior to that all I had been seeing was error 21.

I am going to test it some more tonight and see how it goes.

It looks like I am going to have to get a cap kit and new flyback to fix my monitor issues as well :whistling:

question on these buffer chips will M74LCX16245DTR2GOSDKR-ND work as a replacement

question on these buffer chips will M74LCX16245DTR2GOSDKR-ND work as a replacement
I'm not sure what you are asking, but maybe someone else who knows more will chime in.

To update this thread and bring everyone up to speed: After installing a new cap kit and flyback, and adjusting the voltage on my power supply the arcade is working better than ever!

I'm still getting error 21 on startup, but usually only one or two times before it works. I need to buy/borrow a good multimeter since the cheap harbor freight one I have isn't cutting it.

Next order of business is some repair work to a couple of the edges, and installation of new T-molding, and some fresh paint in a few places to finish up the job!

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice!

I'm not sure what you are asking, but maybe someone else who knows more will chime in.
To update this thread and bring everyone up to speed: After installing a new cap kit and flyback, and adjusting the voltage on my power supply the arcade is working better than ever!

I'm still getting error 21 on startup, but usually only one or two times before it works. I need to buy/borrow a good multimeter since the cheap harbor freight one I have isn't cutting it.

Next order of business is some repair work to a couple of the edges, and installation of new T-molding, and some fresh paint in a few places to finish up the job!

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice!
Swoop up the cap kit for the Sun PSU while you are at it: https://iankellogg.com/sun-power-supply-cap-kit.html.

Let us know if that resolved intermittent ERROR 21 issues as well.

Yes they will. Don't get your hopes up too high though, replacing the buffer has only fixed one DIMM I tried it on even though it is one of the top three failures on the DIMMS.

Yes they will. Don't get your hopes up too high though, replacing the buffer has only fixed one DIMM I tried it on even though it is one of the top three failures on the DIMMS.
What I've read is these buffers will all fail eventually from some guy who has repaired 200+ I don't know how accurate that is.

Can you list or link the 3 common dimm failures?

So basically what you are saying is the chances of this fix working are pretty dimm...

:D

Any idea why my horizontal hold would be hyper sensitive when connecting my netboot setup up to a CPS2 cab? When I take it off and reconnect the CPS2, it's fine. I've tried several other remote boards for the K7000 that's in it and they all are the same way.

Swoop up the cap kit for the Sun PSU while you are at it: https://iankellogg.com/sun-power-supply-cap-kit.html.
Let us know if that resolved intermittent ERROR 21 issues as well."
I just finished installing the sun power cap kit, and man was that difficult! I used the same solder sucker that I used on the monitor PCB but it was not working at all. The copper traces are so close together that I had a really difficult time not bridging the connections. Some of the solder pads were even lifting off the board! What a pain!

After powering on the first time though it booted right up with no errors, so that's a relief. I'm just hoping that my soldering job will be good enough to stand the test of time. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
[/quote]IMG_20180207_212653.jpg

Last edited:
Cool @xanderXone. Keep us posted on the frequency of the recurrence of ERROR 21. I know @twistedsymphony has cap kit'ed his Sun PSU and he has said he never has issues with the NetDimm that others hate so much. Might be a correlation.

yeah I capped a couple of NAOMI PSUs but those were having trouble holding a stable voltage or couldn't be adjusted into range.

on my cab I run the 3.3V a little hot (adjusted to 3.4V at the NAOMI's power connector). 5V I don't think matters much for the Net DIMM (though mine is adjusted to 5.05V)

making sure your cart connectors are free of damage and clean is important. Also using screws to clamp down the Net DIMM helps too

Just a quick update: The system is still not running correctly. I am still getting freezing in the loading menu and the occasional error 21. I've been using my harbor freight multimeter still since I can't seem to find anyone that has a better one that I can borrow. The fan on the power supply is really noisy though, so I am going to replace that next and continue to play with the voltages and see if that solves the problem. Does anyone know where I can get a 80mm fan with a 2-pin JST PH connector?

Any 3-pin fan will work. Just cut the old fan wires and solder +12 and Ground to them. To identify what the wires are on the new fan, touch a 9-volt battery to them and see what works.

Why would I do that when I could just buy the fan with the right connector?

What I needed was a two pin connector, there are a few different styles though so you need to make sure that you are buying the correct one.

It took a little research but I was able to find one on Amazon, and it is now installed. I have tried to cycle the power a few times and I get Error 21 on first startup but then the next power cycle loads the game no problem. I probably need to replace the dimm battery or something I'm sure.

Back