What's new

SmokeMonster

Champion
Reaction score
Following my other Namco System 11 & 12 Tekken PCB restorations (Tekken 2, Tekken 3), here is my Tekken Tag Tournament (PCB Ver A3) project. I washed the PCB, fixed the hanging SMD cap/lifted trace on the top board, and fully recapped it with long-life 105C rated electrolytics. I also added a CR2032 coin cell to it, and applied Arctic Silver ceramic thermal paste to the two heat sinks. It works perfectly now.

Namco System 11/12 boards have notoriously horrible SMD component soldering (I've documented this here and here), so if you see them listed as "broken" or with dim video or missing audio, scan over the seller's pictures and see if you can spot missing SMD components. If so, they're usually dirt cheap and extremely easy to fix. After recapping them though, sys-12 boards are beautiful and have held up pretty well with time, despite what you might think by watching videos. The gameplay experience is just as you remembered :D

Before
1.jpg
trace.jpg

After
_DSC2589.jpg

_DSC2585.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 1,105
Last edited:
As per Mr T Guru's post in that thread:

a blue screen with a weird white Japanese character in the middle of the screen means the CPU (on the top board) can't see the program or the program is bad. Mainly it's a bad connection somewhere between program ROMs and CPU, but it can be a bad TSOP.
You could try reseating the boards.

Then the program is bad or a TSOP is dead (what's a TSOP?) because I already reseated the top boards like 100 times while inspecting/testing it.

I am currently trying to fix a dead (no video/audio) Tekken Tag board. I tried swapping the cpu board with a working one from Tekken 3 but no change. I wonder if the battery needs to be removed before it will accept a different cpu board. I will try recapping the Tag board.

Hello friend, greetings, a question, I have a Tekken tag plate on board A (Video of the game) component number: C11, I did not realize that the component was not in its place, it was completely empty when I turned it on, it does not turn on, this has Has my plate already been damaged? Or will simply replacing the component fix it?
Following my other Namco System 11 & 12 Tekken PCB restorations (Tekken 2, Tekken 3), here is my Tekken Tag Tournament (PCB Ver A3) project. I washed the PCB, fixed the hanging SMD cap/lifted trace on the top board, and fully recapped it with long-life 105C rated electrolytics. I also added a CR2032 coin cell to it, and applied Arctic Silver ceramic thermal paste to the two heat sinks. It works perfectly now.

Namco System 11/12 boards have notoriously horrible SMD component soldering (I've documented this here and here), so if you see them listed as "broken" or with dim video or missing audio, scan over the seller's pictures and see if you can spot missing SMD components. If so, they're usually dirt cheap and extremely easy to fix. After recapping them though, sys-12 boards are beautiful and have held up pretty well with time, despite what you might think by watching videos. The gameplay experience is just as you remembered :D

Before
1.jpg
trace.jpg

After
_DSC2589.jpg

_DSC2585.jpg

Question: Can I use the same component that you used in the photos above?

It wants to live!!! Sometimes part of the screen will show.

I think this is indicative of VRAM issues, 3.3v looks great measured at them. I'll get out the scope later to poke around.

Attachments

• 20240111_083048.jpg
    20240111_083048.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 16
Back