What's new

SirRockALot

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi all,

The existence of the NeoSD is the main reason why I bought an AES. I knew that I'd never be able to get a reasonable collection of games for the system and would need a flash card. But looking at how I play arcade style games, the slow flash times of the NeoSD would be kinda painful. On other consoles I might play a single game for hours at a time, but with arcade style games I generally just play a few matches in a fighting game or do a single high score attempt in a shooter and then try something else. I think I'd probably be happier with the Darksoft product.

I don't own any other Darksoft product, so I'm not familiar with how the release & purchase process works. Say the card comes out tomorrow and then a bit later there's an AES version, will I just be able to buy one? Is there a store or a distribution partner etc.? It's very common for niche retro gaming products to be 'released' but practically non available (i.e. GDemu with its 30sec pre-order window every couple of months or the half-year wait for a NeoGeo Pocket SD). I know that you probably don't have a concrete announcement regarding such things, but maybe somebody could chime in with a general idea or how the previous multicards have worked out in the past so I can calibrate my expectations ;)

Thanks!

DS and team typically produces quantities that sell out, but not at all within "Gdemu-like" time windows. For example it feels like Cps2 sells out regularly, but they make a new batch and it remains in stock for a few weeks. It is more out of stock than in, but if you want one you'd probably get one in the next "window". DS is very very active on the forum and usually gives everyone here notice on when the batches are going to be in stock, and where.

Except for CPS3 Simms they use distributors.

In Europe he has been using Save Your Games:
http://www.saveyourgames.it/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

USA stock has been Paradise Arcade in the past.

STV and CPS2 have had several runs over the past year. STV probably takes longer since demand is lower. If I had to guess I'd say F3 will be out of stock for a while once it sells through. Also I would guess AES and MVS will restock quickly assuming demand is high.

Since you are aware of the Darksoft's Neo Geo multi's imminent release, provided over the course of the next 3 months you have the cash on hand make the purchase, and you monitor these forums for news of its release, you should have no problem securing a unit for yourself.

I have noticed that Darksoft tends to produce slightly more than the immediate demand during the initial run. That initial run units tends to linger for quite some time before being OOS. Once they are OOS, he awaits demand to reach about 50 units before making another run.

Looking at the last few multi related products that were produced, the amount of initial units has been slightly over the amount of initial demand. Darksoft seems to have it down to a science. Here take a look in ascending order:
  1. Deco Multi (Release date Oct 2017) - 5 initial preproduction units produced - sold out
  2. Taito F3 Multi (Release date Aug 2017 - 100 initial units produced - still available
  3. CPS3 Repro Cart (Release date Jul 2016) - unknown # of initial units - still available (I believe)
  4. 2nd run of CPS3 Repro Simms (Sept 2016) - unknown # of initial units - still available
The problem you will face is only when you come to buy the product after the initial run. At that point, new demand must reach a certain unit amount before another run is made. Still though, subsequent runs tend to produce units that too are just slightly over demand. This happened with me since I came to this forum after the initial run of the ST-V and CPS2 multi. The ST-V multi was available but the CPS2 was not. I picked up the ST-V, then waited 3 months for another run of the CPS2 multi. Once the CPS2 multi became available again, it was orderable for a good 2 weeks before being OOS. It is no where as absurd as the GDEMU where you have to set an atomic clock down to quantum timing to pick up one of 7 or so available units.

Also, I say 3 months since on a hunch, I suspect at this point I suspect the Neo Geo multi is ready. But releasing it now would be logistically not wise with the Christmas season on us. Would be great for the customers, but totally not wise for a manufacturer.

EDIT: Strike that, my personal hunches are based on the MVS version. I have no idea about the AES version since I am not in that market to speculate.

That sounds very reasonable, thanks for the detailed replies!

So as a European I'd probably be able to order one locally from saveyourgames.it, sounds good. Also good point about the initial batch selling out and then having to wait quite a bit for the next one. I was thinking that I'd be unlikely to buy such an expensive card first-chance without first seeing reviews, but I want the AES version anyway. AES/MVS should be 99% identical, so I guess I could check out the MVS reviews and then know by the time the AES one is out if I want to buy.

Seems we have lost Paradise Arcade as a US distributor of Darksoft products. Good news is that they sucked anyway. Even us folks in the US may have to go with saveyourgames.it for the Neo Multi. I haven't had the pleasure, but a number of F3 Multi buyers bought their cart from saveyourgames.it and they are thus far an excellent distributor. Here is a review from that experience from a US buyer:

Taito F3. Sales Open. Get your cart here

I was thinking that I'd be unlikely to buy such an expensive card first-chance without first seeing reviews, but I want the AES version anyway. AES/MVS should be 99% identical, so I guess I could check out the MVS reviews and then know by the time the AES one is out if I want to buy.
That is a good way to go about it. Personally, I am looking forward to seeing Mitsurugi-w release a demo of the AES version of the cart. You won't be disappointed with a Darksoft Multi.

Ok, thanks! Do any of the people/organizations involved have a Twitter account? That's generally how I follow projects.

Seems we have lost Paradise Arcade as a US distributor of Darksoft products. Good news is that they sucked anyway. Even us folks in the US may have to go with saveyourgames.it for the Neo Multi. I haven't had the pleasure, but a number of F3 Multi buyers bought their cart from saveyourgames.it and they are thus far an excellent distributor. Here is a review from that experience from a US buyer:

Taito F3. Sales Open. Get your cart here

I was thinking that I'd be unlikely to buy such an expensive card first-chance without first seeing reviews, but I want the AES version anyway. AES/MVS should be 99% identical, so I guess I could check out the MVS reviews and then know by the time the AES one is out if I want to buy.
That is a good way to go about it. Personally, I am looking forward to seeing Mitsurugi-w release a demo of the AES version of the cart. You won't be disappointed with a Darksoft Multi.
I just got my cps2 kit from saveyourgames.it and everything was good. It sat in customs for a couple of days but it showed up perfectly not a single bent pin!

Just in case you missed yesterday's announcement, the MVS version went up for pre-order today. Expect the AES version soon. Stay in close tune to the news.

Should've just waited a few days ;) Watched all the videos. Hope we get some more details soon, like how the ROM/SD card preparation process works.

SD card must be formatted in FAT32
I think that we will have a roll-up pack ready to use very soon
Otherwise you have just to put MAME roms into a 'games' folder on the root of the SD card (like the CPS2 does)

(correct me if I'm wrong)

Back