What's new

XeD

Grand Master
Reaction score
Symptom: Boot to garbage

I picked up a non working cps3. The description said it was previously worked. I just figured the seller was just talking about the factory repair on the rev 2 boards. I Installed my superbios cart and got garbage on screen (the screen sometime you get with no cart inserted). I clean the cart slot with some Deoxit. Brushing it with a brush and some lint free paper. Booted to garbage on screen again. Inspecting the board closely I notice some corrosion around the watch dog ic (HA16103). I removed the IC and was greeted to what smell like mice urine. Seem like someone wash the pcb. Clean it up with some alcohol. Jumper pin 19 (stby) on the ic to pin B29 on the cart slot. Booted it up and it works. I'm going to shelf it for now until I can get some new solution for my ultrasonic cleaner. Just t o make sure I can clean any reminisce of the mice urine anywhere else on the board. Unless there is a faster way?

... Unless there is a faster way?
Wash the PCB :)

Seriously, washing arcade PCBs are quite common if you do not already have a Ultrasonic cleaner...

Even if you have ultrasonic cleaner, you sometimes have to wash it in the sink with lots of dish washing liquid and brush...

See exibit (a) (Looks familiar? :) )

IMG_6353_zpsfpsxv1vl.jpg
IMG_6353_zpsfpsxv1vl.jpg

Oily dust, mouse shit & pee... Mmmm, delicious...

After that, you dry the clean PCB in owen 70 degree (Celcius) for 30-45 minutes...

If you are too concerned of "possible" future oxidation due to mineral residue that "might" remain on the PCB due to washing with tap water, then don't do this. Sometimes people get alarmed when I say I wash PCBs under tap water. My personal opinion on this; This is a f**n arcade board sitting in a warehouse used as a rat toilet for the last 20 years! I don't think mineral residue from my drinkable tap water won't make anything worse :)

This is the fastest way I know to get rid of rat pee ;)

Good god that is a disgusting board, I've seen plenty covered in a thick layer of dust but that's a whole other level of yuk

... Unless there is a faster way?
Wash the PCB :)
Seriously, washing arcade PCBs are quite common if you do not already have a Ultrasonic cleaner...

Even if you have ultrasonic cleaner, you sometimes have to wash it in the sink with lots of dish washing liquid and brush...

See exibit (a) (Looks familiar? :) )

IMG_6353_zpsfpsxv1vl.jpg
IMG_6353_zpsfpsxv1vl.jpg

Oily dust, mouse shit & pee... Mmmm, delicious...

After that, you dry the clean PCB in owen 70 degree (Celcius) for 30-45 minutes...

If you are too concerned of "possible" future oxidation due to mineral residue that "might" remain on the PCB due to washing with tap water, then don't do this. Sometimes people get alarmed when I say I wash PCBs under tap water. My personal opinion on this; This is a f**n arcade board sitting in a warehouse used as a rat toilet for the last 20 years! I don't think mineral residue from my drinkable tap water won't make anything worse :)

This is the fastest way I know to get rid of rat pee ;)
Were you able to get that board working? You gotta post some after pics. ;)

Back