What's new
I'm a gamer not a tech head.

Metal Slug X works!

Why it's so important that it passes a CRC check, can anyone tell me:-

What do the numbers mean?
Whats the difference in a pass and non pass game wise?
Who's in charge of the unibios CRC check?
Whats does it check?
The big one is can it be faked to pass CRC?

Now the Multicart is out is there a need for a Unibios ? ( apart from checking CRC )
AFAIK:
CRC is a checksum of all the gamedata as it is seen by the PCB. If it passes it means it is bit by bit the same as the original cart.
Unibios was made by Razoola

And if all you want is a working game your bar is pretty low. :) I mean you could just get a RaspPI, install Retropie and have a perfect Neo Geo emulation with all the games working.

I guess that he means working game in the original hardware which is a HUGE difference as compared to emulators or similar pc-based arcade.

The CRC check failing means it's not an original dump of the ROM (because it's had the protection patched out)

Some people (and yes I put myself in this camp) want 100% original operation, I love my CPS2 multi and play it a lot, but still keep original boards running on batteries for a couple of my favourite games - which was then made a moot point when Darksoft released the key writing firmware

I've also desuicided a few games using batteries to keep them original (2 Captain Commando CPS1, Warriors of Fate CPS1.5, several CPS2 boards)

So for the same reason as that, people want the CRC check to pass for all games on the Neo multi, including those with special protection chips.

It's not going to affect operation and as far as I'm aware much the same as CPS2 the patched version doesn't affect anything in game, but it's not original.

99% of people don't/won't care, but there are those of us that do :P

I guess that he means working game in the original hardware which is a HUGE difference as compared to emulators or similar pc-based arcade.
I dont wanna start an argument here but: Why?
Lots of discussions about that point. And obviously we here think it is, because why else buy a cart for $500 when a Pi for $25 can do the same.

Because it can. Run it at 15k, use a jamma adapter for it and hook it into a cab and I dare you to spot the difference to an mvs. FBA with Neo Geo is a damn good emulator.

I have a old Neo Cab, tried to get all the MVS carts, got about over 140 last count, but the cost of some games are crazy, the Multi cart works great in my setup, just like the real deal.

I belive a Multicart is for gamers to play all games on a system,for games out of their reach be it cost region proto etc!

I have a MS2 turbo cart ( better than the real,slow deal ) but fails the CRC!

If a games passes a CRC check make no odds to me! ( just works like the real deal)

I'm looking forward to trying the old Proto games ( and homebrew etc ) will they pass a CRC check. Will people stop using them if they don't pass?

Saying i have low standards because i JUST play games not waste time checking CRC results Is unfair! I also play the Neo ports on the PS4 do i have to get them check by this Razoola chap first before we can call it a good game?

Can you tell me the difference in MSX? CRC pass to none? Would love to know?

Last edited:
I have a old Neo Cab, tried to get all the MVS carts, got about over 140 last count, but the cost of some games are crazy, the Multi cart works great in my setup, just like the real deal.

I belive a Multicart is for gamers to play all games on a system,for games out of their reach be it cost region proto etc!

If a games passes a CRC check make no odds to me! ( just works like the real deal)

I'm looking forward to trying the old Proto games ( and homebrew etc ) will they pass a CRC check. Will people stop using them if they don't pass?

Saying i have low standards because i JUST play games not waste time checking CRC results Is unfair! I also play the Neo ports on the PS4 do i have to get them check by this Razoola chap first before we can call it a good game?

Hey, this was by no means an attack or dis aimed at you. I just meant: if you dont care if your game is "original" and "unmodified" where do you draw the line. And how do you argue that line of what is "acceptable". Because if you say you dont care about "modified" or "altered"... how justify NOT using an emulator?
(Thats meant as an honest non-rhetorical question. I ask myself that exact question from time to time)

The CRC check failing means it's not an original dump of the ROM (because it's had the protection patched out)

Some people (and yes I put myself in this camp) want 100% original operation, I love my CPS2 multi and play it a lot, but still keep original boards running on batteries for a couple of my favourite games - which was then made a moot point when Darksoft released the key writing firmware

I've also desuicided a few games using batteries to keep them original (2 Captain Commando CPS1, Warriors of Fate CPS1.5, several CPS2 boards)

So for the same reason as that, people want the CRC check to pass for all games on the Neo multi, including those with special protection chips.

It's not going to affect operation and as far as I'm aware much the same as CPS2 the patched version doesn't affect anything in game, but it's not original.

99% of people don't/won't care, but there are those of us that do :P
I total agree with this point of view as a collecter.
I myself have most of my fav Neo games on the real cart!

The Multi cart / PCB is still just a great way to play ALL that sytems games as intended in a cab.

I dont wanna start an argument here but: Why?Lots of discussions about that point. And obviously we here think it is, because why else buy a cart for $500 when a Pi for $25 can do the same.

Because it can. Run it at 15k, use a jamma adapter for it and hook it into a cab and I dare you to spot the difference to an mvs. FBA with Neo Geo is a damn good emulator.
Why would anyone pay over £100 for a 20+ year old pcb to play one game?
Answer= because we can!

We all like what we like.

I just play in my cab!

You want a real cart CRC check, no hidden button combos ( Just like the unibios)

XodaraP wants to keep his Cps2 boards as is.

I have no problem with any of this but i do belive a failed CRC check on one one game is very low on MY list. Power Spikes passes the CRC check but i'm never going to play that again!!

The world would be dull if we all wanted the same.

I feel Darksoft can help us all out with our likes in future updates and surpass them!

I think what DenTarr is saying is that "I just want to play games" is subjective

A large amount of people "Just want to play a game" and MAME or a Pandora etc with an LCD works fine for them

Other people want the original hardware and to play on a CRT because that's what they remember, but don't care if a game is a bootleg, conversion, emulator cart etc. as long as it plays the way they remember

Then there's the people who want 100% original and will go the extra effort to get it - I could modify my CPS1.5 so it never needs a battery again, but I'd rather take the effort to reload keys and I keep batteries in my CPS2 boards.

Darksoft/Mitsu work to accommodate this with their products which is awesome.

Hey, this was by no means an attack or dis aimed at you. I just meant: if you dont care if your game is "original" and "unmodified" where do you draw the line. And how do you argue that line of what is "acceptable". Because if you say you dont care about "modified" or "altered"... how justify NOT using an emulator?(Thats meant as an honest non-rhetorical question. I ask myself that exact question from time to time)
I except that, cheers. I did look at hooking up a pc via Jamma.
I just wanted the power up and play option ( not spend time in settings / files / GUI etc )

But you still haven't said what the difference is in passed CRC Metal Slug X to a non?
Is it just that a non factory fitted Unibios says so?

If your after 100% real deal i feel you should just buy the carts! I may have a spare MSX.

I except that, cheers. I did look at hooking up a pc via Jamma.I just wanted the power up and play option ( not spend time in settings / files / GUI etc )

But you still haven't said what the difference is in passed CRC Metal Slug X to a non?

If your after 100% real deal i feel you should just buy the carts! I may have a spare MSX.
The difference, in short, is its not the same game data.
AFAIK it works like this:

a game is dumped from an original cart by reading the data on the ROMS of that cart and saved to disk. Then you can create a checksum (CRC) by running an algorithm over all that data. The only important thing about this checksum is that it is unique. If even a single bit of the data checked would change the checksum would change, too.
All this has nothing to do with Razoola or Unibios. Theoretically. Unibios just gives you the ability to let the system calculate a checksum over the gamedata presented to the pcb at runtime.
So if this crc is identical to the one that was created for the original dump it is an unmodified game.
And mslug x is special in that it had an encrytion only a few people know so it had to be decryted to run. And "decryted" of course means the gamedata is modified.
AFAIK thats basically it.

I except that, cheers. I did look at hooking up a pc via Jamma.I just wanted the power up and play option ( not spend time in settings / files / GUI etc )

The difference, in short, is its not the same game data.
AFAIK it works like this:

a game is dumped from an original cart by reading the data on the ROMS of that cart and saved to disk. Then you can create a checksum (CRC) by running an algorithm over all that data. The only important thing about this checksum is that it is unique. If even a single bit of the data checked would change the checksum would change, too.
All this has nothing to do with Razoola or Unibios. Theoretically. Unibios just gives you the ability to let the system calculate a checksum over the gamedata presented to the pcb at runtime.
So if this crc is identical to the one that was created for the original dump it is an unmodified game.
And mslug x is special in that it had an encrytion only a few people know so it had to be decryted to run. And "decryted" of course means the gamedata is modified.
AFAIK thats basically it.
Cheers, i've learnt about CRC check today.
Now that the dreaded word has been said, no one can ever end this.
We all have our views on emulation,i belive you can never beat the real deal!
I could chat with you for hours over this, with a beer in hand.

I've just looked up Razoola and his work, sounds like he's done alot for the Neo scene. ( i only used my Unibois for the pause screen after each level, my games on Viewpoint are now getting 20mins plus on one life)

Q:- not picking at you, just asking.

1.If MSX unpatched has been done on the NeoSD can't we just use that rom? Onwers of a NeoSD like you must have it.

2. Changing a file in the code to get a game to run ( fail CRC / patch etc ) what does that do to gameplay vs unpatched game? ( which was my only point ) can we spot it's patched?

3. What Do you use a unibios for? If your after your real deal?

Unless you'd played the originals you probably would never know the difference.
There's plenty of games on the NG I had never played and there's many I'll never play again since playing them on the multi. Haha, to be honest I'd say for me the majority are shit and if this was any other forum I'd probably keep that to myself. However I am enjoying just exploring new games and playing the ones I remember. I think it just comes down to, if it matters to you that you're playing the game how it was originally played or if you just enjoy playing a game. To some its a big deal to others its nothing. Just like NASCAR, Baseball or WWE. The thing that I like the most is that some people put their time into creating something that gives me the ability to play those games as they were intended to be played, on the original hardware at a fraction of the cost.

I've just looked up Razoola and his work, sounds like he's done alot for the Neo scene. ( i only used my Unibois for the pause screen after each level, my games on Viewpoint are now getting 20mins plus on one life)

1.If MSX unpatched has been done on the NeoSD can't we just use that rom? Onwers of a NeoSD like you must have it.

2. Changing a file in the code to get a game to run ( fail CRC / patch etc ) what does that do to gameplay vs unpatched game? ( which was my only point ) can we spot it's patched?

He absolutely has. But he is also a polarizing character. Lets leave it at that. ;)

1. Its not a matter of having the encrypted romset. For that to run you have to have the decrytion logic emulated in the cart FPGAs. And for that you have to know the original logic. Which for some reason the NeoSD guys do (insiders?) and DS does not (yet)
Those two multicarts are a pretty impressive piece of engineering. There is a lot more to them then just loading up some data from SD card to Flash or RAM. DS can surely tell you more about the FPGAs and all the logic and IC emulation neccessary to get this thing running.

2. That depends what has been changed. If it was just decrypted and the decryption was 100% correct it SHOULD be identical gameplay wise.

3. Long story short: I use it for pretty much nothing. Was just curious when I got my first MVS (1b), de-soldered the bios chip and put a DIP socket in. Then put in the Unibios and well...that was it. Matter of curiosity. Never bothered changing it back is all :D

He absolutely has. But he is also a polarizing character. Lets leave it at that. ;)
1. Its not a matter of having the encrypted romset. For that to run you have to have the decrytion logic emulated in the cart FPGAs. And for that you have to know the original logic. Which for some reason the NeoSD guys do (insiders?) and DS does not (yet)
Those two multicarts are a pretty impressive piece of engineering. There is a lot more to them then just loading up some data from SD card to Flash or RAM. DS can surely tell you more about the FPGAs and all the logic and IC emulation neccessary to get this thing running.

2. That depends what has been changed. If it was just decrypted and the decryption was 100% correct it SHOULD be identical gameplay wise.

3. Long story short: I use it for pretty much nothing. Was just curious when I got my first MVS (1b), de-soldered the bios chip and put a DIP socket in. Then put in the Unibios and well...that was it. Matter of curiosity. Never bothered changing it back is all :D
I can live with should! ( it's only one game )

Sounds like you know your stuff, cheers for the heads up.
I had to google to swap out my unibios;)

What do the numbers mean?
Well, CRC is a mathematic wizardry (technically a function); you throw a long sequence of numbers (i.e. a dumped ROM data) at it, it crunches it and it spits out a small number. Now logically two different big sequences of numbers can lead to the same small one (CRC collision), but the algorithm (or function) is well designed so, if you change just a part of the input, you’ll end up with two different CRCs. So, this is good for ensuring data integrity. I.e. you can put a big file on a website and put its CRC on the same page; you download the file, calculate the CRC on your own and if it matches the one on the site you can be assured that nothing went wrong during download. Actually CRC checks are the basis of modern packet based networking and, nowadays, you can have a phone call, watch TV, listen to music or read this post thanks to CRC.

Whats the difference in a pass and non pass game wise?
The difference is the MVS is getting the same game data it would have from a real original cart.

Who's in charge of the unibios CRC check?
Razoola, a Neo Geo scene authority with his own personality (as each and every one of us).

Whats does it check?
The integrity of game data received by the Neo Geo motherboard.

The big one is can it be faked to pass CRC?
Semantics… if you mean if you can fetch Neo Geo with wrong game data and passing CRC check, the answer is no. If you mean if you can fetch Neo Geo with CRC correct data (so good data) using a non original cart, well, that’s the whole point of a flash cart.

Now the Multicart is out is there a need for a Unibios ? ( apart from checking CRC )
I honestly don’t know. Once I read that some DS functions typical of Unibios were a work in progress. I don’t know if DS completed them. I don’t even know if DS will implement all Unibios functions (i.e. cheats). One point of Unibios is getting those features on the Neo Geo hardware, so having the ability to use them on original carts.

Regards.

Locutus73

AFAIK:CRC is a checksum of all the gamedata as it is seen by the PCB. If it passes it means it is bit by bit the same as the original cart.
Unibios was made by Razoola
Not exactly. The UniBIOS' CRC only checks the contents of the P roms, which are the chips that contain the game's main program. Things such as sound code, sound samples, sprites and static layer (M, V, C and S roms, respectively) are not checked, because the BIOS does not have direct access to them. What does the P rom check tells us? it tells us that the game code is 100% the same as the original game. It does not have any hack added. It may have corrupted graphics, or corrupted sound (because those roms are not checked), but the game will behave the same as the original. Hope i explained it in a clear manner :)

the main usecase for the unibios for me is the ability to change region or if it's recognised as mvs or aes...

In some games there are regional differences (boob physics in KOF i think..., violence with the last blade games for example). Switching to AES mode sometimes gives you extra play modes or training modes.
Being from Germany i'm pretty allergic to censored games since we had so many due to our laws.

Knowing the crc checks out is nice, but i mainly use it to check if the cart ibought is an original...

As long as the game plays like it should i don't care if the crc checks out, but a correct crc is the easiest way to say the game should run perfectly...

We all have our views on emulation,i belive you can never beat the real deal!
I could chat with you for hours over this, with a beer in hand.
I 50% completely agree with you :) hahaha
It’s nice to be able to discuss this in a friendly environment.
If we try to approach this topic without being extremists, we must admit that modern emulation on modern computers is getting really damn good and it has it fair share of conveniences/advantages (i.e. savestates). And emulation is always getting better; Libretro/Retroarch team is working on a Run-Ahead feature, a wizardry which could lead to having less input lag on emulation than on real hardware so compensating the inevitable HDTV lag; so we could end up having the same lag on Retroarch+HDTV than on realHW+CRT, something impossible on realHW+HDTV (i.e. I will use MVS on HDTV through OSSC). I’m not saying that emulation is better than real hardware, but it’s really damn good. But I want stress another point: real hardware brings to us nerdy pleasures that doesn’t have anything to do with accuracy. I’ll give two examples:

• Rituals: brain feels good when it gets repetitive and well known inputs. Rituals fetch the brain with repetitive inputs and make us feel good. Is a known scientific fact that part of the smoking addition is related to rituals: taking a break, opening a packet of cigarettes, lighting one on and so on. Same thing for real media (i.e. vinyls) vs streaming. Now I strongly believe that a good amount of the real hardware pleasure comes from rituals: going to your shelf, choosing the cart you like, manually inserting it in a real old hardware and so on. I don’t mean to diminish the value of the pleasure; on the contrary, I believe it adds something really valuable.
  • Fetishism: again, knowing that we are operating a real old hardware, with its own history, is part of the pleasure IMHO. And again I strongly believe it adds something really valuable.

Regards.

Locutus73

Last edited:
Libretro/Retroarch team is working on a Run-Ahead feature, a wizardry which could lead to having less input lag on emulation
that's exactly a feature i somehow feel a little uncomfortable, and i don't see me as an extremeist in that sense - is it really still my input that moves the character?

I sure as hell will try it if it comes - hell i came to this hobby through my retropie - but i can understand if somebody gets very sceptical...

And to be honest i play the all tate games on emulation simply because i don't have a tate setup (yet...)

BTW - i feel like hijacking this thread - perhaps we should move to a new one...

Libretro/Retroarch team is working on a Run-Ahead feature, a wizardry which could lead to having less input lag on emulation
that's exactly a feature i somehow feel a little uncomfortable, and i don't see me as an extremeist in that sense - is it really still my input that moves the character?
Honestly yes. The whole point is that, most of the real hardware after Atari 2600 has input latency, i.e. Super Mario World on a real SNS on a CRT has 2 frames of input latency. Run-Ahead could have the ability of (inaccurately) reducing the input lag to 1 frame (so -1 respect the real SNES); but if you play on a HDTV which adds 1 frame of latency... do the math… you get the same input latency on EMU+HDTV than on SNES+CRT, and this is a feat you won’t get on SNES+OSSC+HDTV or on my beloved Analogue Super NT + HDTV. Pretty neat!

I sure as hell will try it if it comes - hell i came to this hobby through my retropie - but i can understand if somebody gets very sceptical...
You can try right now, it's a work in progress, but you can try.

And to be honest i play the all tate games on emulation simply because i don't have a tate setup (yet...)
That's fair, you're entitled to play what you want how you want.

BTW - i feel like hijacking this thread - perhaps we should move to a new one...
Right dude, my bad.

Locutus73

Back