What's new
Only reason it wouldn't work would be if he did some change to purposely make it not work. I seriously doubt he would want to do that.

What benefits, if any, does the Unibios provide users of the Darksoft Neo multi?

Or is it best to just use the original bios?

Thanks!

:D

this IMHO!
Unibios can swap region and console/arcade mode, but will be redundant once this feature gets released for the multi!

Other options the Unibios offers:
CRC checks - who cares, just wanna play ;)
Cheats - who gives a shit
Coin up with Button 5 - I always feed coins to my cab, so again, who cares :P

this IMHO!Unibios can swap region and console/arcade mode, but will be redundant once this feature gets released for the multi!

Other options the Unibios offers:
CRC checks - who cares, just wanna play ;)
It can also save the scores table for most (all?) the official games, and restore it when the game is played again. It requires a memory card for this, but it does it well.

this IMHO!Unibios can swap region and console/arcade mode, but will be redundant once this feature gets released for the multi!
I’d prefer using the same (Unibios) interface both with DS Multi and original carts... and, oh, yes, first of all I’d like to have these functions on original carts.

Other options the Unibios offers:CRC checks - who cares, just wanna play ;)
I do care. If I wouldn’t, I would have bought a 161in1 and modded it with some resistors and caps.

Again, I do.

Guess what? Yeah, you got the point: I do care.

It can also save the scores table for most (all?) the official games, and restore it when the game is played again. It requires a memory card for this, but it does it well.
And agaaaaain... I do care. I bought a NeoBiosMasta VMC + Unibios 4.0 for that. And in theory, if all works as intended, doing so you can retain scores between different flashcarts, multicarts and original carts.

Someone sees Unibios functions redundant once you have a DS Multi, someone else sees DS Multi Unibios like functions redundant once you have a good old Unibios. I hope DarkSoft will satisfy both.

Best regards.

Locutus73

if you care then use it :D that's the good thing of living in a free world :P

Anyway.. the one responsible for Unibios compatibility is the Unibios creator, not Darksoft :P

if you care then use it :D that's the good thing of living in a free world :P

Anyway.. the one responsible for Unibios compatibility is the Unibios creator, not Darksoft :P
Well, that’s debatable and leads to an infinite loop.
Both DS and Raz are responsible for compatibility to straight original hardware, so Raz isn’t responsible for Unibios compatibility to DS Multi as much as DS is not responsible for DS Multi compatibility to Unibios. A loosing situation for all users. We could debate about Unibios being on the market till... I don’t know, but it’s a semi de facto standard in Neo Geo world, so... but we go nowhere.
Anyway, aren’t we here for DS friendly approach and support? If I want this kind of reasoning and hostile approach I have another forum for that (which I find somehow quite funny).
I don’t think asking for a “dumb multicart firmware” is too much.

Thank you in advance.
Locutus73

what I mean is that you can't make a cart producer responsible of all potential bugs a bootleg BIOS could have in the present or in the future.

DS MVS must be 100% compatible with the original SNK Bios and Unibios must be 100% backwards compatible with the original SNK BIOS.

If both premises are met, we won't have any problem :)

what I mean is that you can't make a cart producer responsible of all potential bugs a bootleg BIOS could have in the present or in the future.

DS MVS must be 100% compatible with the original SNK Bios and Unibios must be 100% backwards compatible with the original SNK BIOS.

If both premises are met, we won't have any problem :)
I might be wrong, but it seems to me that this just happens right now; I mean full compatibility with original bios functionalities and consequent compatibility with flashcarts for all original bios functions; well we have the boot logo glitch, but (I might be wrong) that’s because DS Multi doesn’t offer the fix tiles to Unibios at boot time just like, guess what? Original carts. But that’s not a real issue IMHO. What we are discussing here is collisions between additional functions which go beyond basic bios and/or real hardware functions on both sides. And it seems to me (again I might be wrong) we have a friendlier community here, more prone to discussing things.

Locutus73

We are for sure friendly.. :)

Unibios has some issues (or had?) With carts directly accessing to the hardware instead of going through the BIOS.. I don't know if that had been fixed (maybe it's not even possible to fix it, due to how unibios works)

We are for sure friendly.. :)

Unibios has some issues (or had?) With carts directly accessing to the hardware instead of going through the BIOS.. I don't know if that had been fixed (maybe it's not even possible to fix it, due to how unibios works)
I might be wrong (as always), but isn’t that something about an extra/special feature being skipped by games directly accessing hardware? I mean a glitch in an extra function rather than a broken original bios retrocompatibility.

Anyway my point for asking here are:
  • Userbase: let’s be honest, Unibios is a thing. It’s almost ubiquitous with consolized MVSes and widespread in Neo Geo world. We could call it a sort of unofficial standard. DS Multi is the new kid in the Neo Geo block.
  • Community: it’s easier to ask for things here. Honestly I find quite funny/amusing the other community; I mean, you have to understand the thick layer of dark humour, but once you’re able to handle it... i.e. I talked about my DS Multi preorder on their chat and, putting aside some humour, nobody jumped on me and we talked safely. But it’s easier to ask for things here for sure.

Speaking of which, I still don’t get what happens if we have conflicting settings between DS Multi and Unibios, i.e. we choose specific soft dip switch settings for a game and Jap AES mode with DS Multi and different soft dip switch settings and Eur MVS mode with Unibios, what do we get as result?

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73

MVS multi setting would overrule Unibios setting, same as MVS multi setting would overrule original bios.

At least is how I see it...
Cannot confirm since the functionis not in the MVS menu yet ;)

Cheats are great for when you have kids on the machine, or for when you want to dick around. I wouldn't be mad if DS built in some cheats to pick from on the cart. Not all cheats are cheats, like red blood in MS

Cheats are great for when you have kids on the machine, or for when you want to dick around. I wouldn't be mad if DS built in some cheats to pick from on the cart. Not all cheats are cheats, like red blood in MS
Isn’t red blood activated as well via soft dips?
At least for MSX, didn’t check other versions yet...

In the meantime...
8VKfigK.jpg
...a fire starter?

Locutus73

what happens if we have conflicting settings between DS Multi and Unibios, i.e. we choose specific soft dip switch settings for a game and Jap AES mode with DS Multi and different soft dip switch settings and Eur MVS mode with Unibios, what do we get as result?
That's a very good question. The MultiMVS will catch all read/writes and will reply to them instead of the cart or the BIOS. That's the plan to be release with next firmware update.

Isn’t red blood activated as well via soft dips?At least for MSX, didn’t check other versions yet...
for one of them (3?) If the region is USA the blood is white. Might be a different MS might be a different region, but I know there was a name cheat for red blood.

Back