What's new

BlinG

Grand Master
Reaction score
So I have a problem with one of my A-Boards. Everytime I boot up a game, it starts with low volume and I have to adjust it with the Volume up button on the board. I have tried the volume reset trick by holding the down or up button upon boot up, but it still resets back to 0 volume. Is there a specific cap on the a board that holds the volume setting?

There's a super capacitor inside the A board. It's near the Toshiba chips.

The one that looks like a battery? How can I test to see if it has gone bad?

The one that looks like a battery? How can I test to see if it has gone bad?
Think of supercaps as batteries more than a capacitor. so just boot up the board, let it run for a while and shut it down. with a multimeter measure the voltage across its legs and see if it is holding any charge ;)

Right on. I just ordered replacement supercap from mouser. I'll update thread with the outcome :)

Man I have the same problem with 3 of my Cps2 motherboards and always thought it had something to do with the wiring in my Egret 3.

Looks like I need some new super capacitors!

@randombling - do you have the part number for the capacitor you got from mouser?

Thanks for this information, my CPS2 does not save anything after poweroff, and somehow I always thought that was normal :D One question though: if this supercapacitor is not changed, is there an immediate risk of it leaking or something, like the one in the old xbox does?

That's just a normal axial electrolytic capacitor, not a super capacitor (I think). I installed that same cap in mine :)
_DSC2027_2.jpg

Just wanted to add that The board is back to resetting itself to 0 after being powered off for a while. I don't use this a board often so I never really noticed. Think I'm just gonna deal with it

Hmm, it seems like the supercap would have fixed that. Maybe try recapping the rest of the board to start?

If you mean super cap by the toshiba chips, I didn't touch that. Is there a certain voltage that should be coming from that?

Yes, this the supercap is circled below. I'm not sure what the voltage should be coming out of it, but it basically works like a battery and is what holds data after the system is powered off. So if it's bad, you will lose data shortly after powering down.

If replacing the axial cap is what fixed your audio issues, I wonder if your power supply might have had something to do with it too. Are you using an arcade PSU? CPS2 is relatively power-hungry.
CPS2 Supercap2.jpg

Well when I tested initially I turned it on and set the volume to max. Turned it off for about 30 minutes and tried again. The volume didn't reset so I figured that it must be fixed now. Haven't touched it since, and now the volume is messed up again going to 0. So I assume I didn't wait long enough for the volume to reset.

I'll try the super cap next.

Just another update. I replaced the Super Cap pointed out by SmokeMonster. Powered up, turned the volume up, then played for about 30 minutes. Turned it off and didnt touch it for a couple days. Fired it back up last night and the volume settings have been retained :) . Thanks for the help fellas, it was getting to the point where I didn't even want to bother using that A-Board anymore.

Back