What's new
I just noticed on an A-board that I repaired the other day that the supercap was in a different package. It was in a little black plastic box instead of the normal looking round one as in the pictures above. I was going to take a picture but I forgot and already sent it back to the customer. :(

I have the exact problem you've described with the resetting volume. Unfortunately, the values on the ridge of my super cap are not legible. Would anybody be able to share the capacitor values or a part number?

I've also been searching for a schematic for the A-board. I've been surprised by how hard the information is to find!

Replacing the supercap on the A-Board resolved my sound issues as well. Thank you!

I think it should be feasible to use this thread due to a similar issue.

I am facing a problem with the sound on my A-board since few days.
Using the CPS Darksoft multi board on a Jap A-board I never had problems within the last year.

After starting the board after a long time (round about 4 month) again no sound available on my CAB via Jamma harness any more.
Volume up / down could be adopted via the volume board buttons and I see it changes on the montior.
I tested a different A-board with the multi and it worked great without any issue. Therefore I can confrim that the issue is in relation with my A-board

Thoughts what could be the issue?
Any help appreciated.

Yes, this the supercap is circled below. I'm not sure what the voltage should be coming out of it, but it basically works like a battery and is what holds data after the system is powered off. So if it's bad, you will lose data shortly after powering down.

If replacing the axial cap is what fixed your audio issues, I wonder if your power supply might have had something to do with it too. Are you using an arcade PSU? CPS2 is relatively power-hungry.
CPS2 Supercap2.jpg
Might that help to replace the suppercab right next to the Toshiba sound chip?
I read that the problem might likely caused by corrupted data inside the volume control chip. Data corrupted because the supercap isn't holding enough voltage to make the data survive a power cycle?

I just replaced this supercapacitor because one of my A board have the same problem not saving previous volume level. After replacing this supercapacitor, now my "Test and "Volume up and down" does not work. Game still play fine, but those 3 button no longer work. Anyone know what might be the problem?

I just replaced this supercapacitor because one of my A board have the same problem not saving previous volume level. After replacing this supercapacitor, now my "Test and "Volume up and down" does not work. Game still play fine, but those 3 button no longer work. Anyone know what might be the problem?
I remember if you press the volume down button (and keep pressed) while you power up the system this resets the settings to default. Then your volume controls start to work.

This is just a thing I remembered that I read somewhere... Just try it and tell if works for your situation

I remember if you press the volume down button (and keep pressed) while you power up the system this resets the settings to default. Then your volume controls start to work.
This is just a thing I remembered that I read somewhere... Just try it and tell if works for your situation
I tried your method and it doesn't do anything. At the moment, I have an A board works without sound and can't do any configuration to the game I'm playing.

sure you mounted the buttons correctly when you opened up the case?
They can also become brittle and snap due to age, better open up the case and see if they actually activate the switches

Also made sure to install the cap with proper orientation?

Also made sure to install the cap with proper orientation?
I did by going online to find out which side is positive and negative. If I remembered correctly, the positive is on the inside of the A board and negative is facing the outside. Not only that, the supercapacitor have arrows pointing to the negative polar. Another thing I found out is the negative polar stick out a little compare to the positive polar where it concave inward. Is there a time limit to put on this supercapacitor like the B board for the suicide battery. It took me quite sometime as the prongs are a little thicker than the holes from the B board so I have to file it down. Not only that, the 2 hole for those prongs are small and it was difficult to get the solder out completely so you can put the new supercapacitor in.

Can we see some pics of the the install?

Can we see some pics of the the install?
Okay, I took your advise to take some pictures. As I was taking them, I noticed the soldering spot were not fully soldered to the prongs. Since I'm a noob with soldering and the prongs are very small, as I pulled the soldering gun away from the prongs, the solder goes with it. As the result, not much solder were left to hold the prongs to the board. Now everything work perfectly again but have to see if the volume level are save after a period of time. Here are some of the pictures of the supercapacitor and the last picture is the final product for it to work. Thank you once again Mitsurgi-w.
IMG_6964 Resize.jpg
IMG_6967 Resize.jpg

Last edited:
Does the capacitance value of the supercap have to be 100mF (millifarads), or can it be higher, like 220mF, using the same voltage rating (5.5V)?

I have issues with my CPS2 board where it's only outputting through 1 channel. I've tried to lower the volume all the way down and bring it back up again for stereo but I still get almost no audio out of the left channel. I can hear a little bit of it.

Back