What's new
There seems to be a load of these in the UK. Really nice little cab if you only have a small games room.
Flinnster put a gallery of conversions together: http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/fo...le=minicab-owners-club-got-a-dino-king-yer-in
... I think they all used FrancoB's original plans and conversion as a template!
This is a particularly special conversion to Asteroids : http://www.ukvac.com/forum/dino-king-conversion-into-asteroids_topic360877.html
Here's mine (an MVS-U4 theme): https://youtu.be/lp00N5eoVbo
If you do keep the original art, go for one of Ollys top Dino panel CPOs: https://www.arcadeartshop.com/product/dinosaur-king-control-panel-overlay-cpo/

Ok...sent out requests for quotes on the vewlix style control panel, waiting to hear back how much it will cost.

Happy I got into the group sale that the Flinnster had going for the front plexi.

Already reached out to a couple of guys for artwork (including Olly) / Not sure yet if I will keep it stock or change the art.

Trying to see if I can find a NOS 14" tri-sync crt/chassis.

Already working out details for jamma/jvs conversion with stereo speakers and amp, maybe throw in a small sub.

Also, trying to figure out how to adapt a sort of rotate mechanism or brackets to be able to tate the screen since my boy loves the classic, pac-man/donkey kong type games.

Finally got the vewlix style control panels in and they are freaking awesome, im gonna have these guys make me custom panels for my vewlixs.

IMG_9127.JPG
IMG_9128.JPG

Now, anyone know where I can get overlay printed/made???

Hi folks, a little birdie told me there was a reason my ears were burnin' ;)
I'm here now, so I can join in the fun :thumbsup:

Firsly apologies to Derick2k on the bezel shipping delay. Life getting in the way!
But, back on things again now, so I'll be sorting stuff out imminently.

Share details on your conversions, etc....

@FrancoB work on these has been my major inspiration in attempting the conversion myself.

So yeah, it's a wierd one. I have five and I'd say none are 'done yet'! Is that the way these things always go? 8|

My previous 'refurb' threads have ended up jumping about a bit as I do one thing on one cab, and then go back to something else on another.
But yep, I've tried most things relating to these great little cabs so should be able to help on most aspects - any questions just shout!

Like you I have spent plenty of time bugging the hell outta FrancoB, as well as Paulie, Tony Temple and plenty of others who did all this well before I did actually ^^

My process is pretty much to convert... but allow original hardware to go back in should I want to. So no hacking or splicing of the original loom or attached wiring, I do it all with new wiring into fresh JST / VGA connectors so it's all plug-in-out-able.
All my monitors are stock 15Khz - no showoff tri-syncs I'm afraid!
I work on getting stuff playing first, and the appearance later, usually. No fancy CNC or lazer cut stuff really - just hand tools and homebrew with a bit of time and care.

Stuff I've done besides the usual straight jamma harness job:
- Full wiring to the coin door, lighting up coin lamps, working coin mechs + credit boards
- New base panel for mounting switcher in the rear corner, frees up the front shelf for MVS & PGM / cart systems
- Trimmed service panel to allow maximum space on the top shelf for large PCBs (R-Types, CPS2, etc..) - (still working on possibly my own service panel design to leave both shelves completely free)
- Hot-swappable control panels connected via the JST holder behind the CP - so you can swap out 1 & 2 player panels in minutes
- Voltmeters for easy sanity-checking between different PCBS
- The usual tidying and cleaning generally, re-fitting locks (nobody drill a Sega lock if they have any left!!)

Stuff in the planning:
- A tidier way to do linkup (my loom currently hangs out of the back monitor letterbox..)
- Marquee / Topper with LED lighting
- Bezel art + instruction strip lighting, possibly with EL panels or tape
- Freeplay board (so I coin up using actual money at home, but at a flick of a switch these cabs can be set to freeplay for shows/events)
- Stereo speakers & sound amp (maybe)
- Vertical monitor (maybe)
- Quite a bit of retrobriting / plastic polishing
- Proper sideart, bezel design, CPO's
- Possibly a metalwork powdercoat, one day..

Anyway to start off.. some pics of how they all looked on arrival...
dinokingproject.jpg
rescuecabs.jpg

Attachments

• dinoking2.jpg
    dinoking2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 985
  • dino5arrival.jpg
    dino5arrival.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 283
Havent updated this thread in so long, but here are some progress pics, still waiting on some more parts to arrive.

Made some custom mounting plates for the the io and jammafier and to relocated the cabs original buttons etc... The cab already had a jvs psu and I had spare jammafiers/taito io and harnesses so made send to go this route, rather than custom make a harness or put in a cheap low quality chinese one in. Amazingly this cab only had 8 coins on the counter on it and zero on the card dispenser one.

Gotta figure out artwork net and finish tidying up a few other things.

2020-05-13_18-02-16.jpg

2020-05-13_18-03-11.jpg

For comparison this is similar to how the inside looked
dino-jamma2.jpg

Last edited:
pretty sweet conversion
Thanks, its getting there. Thinking I might setup up a small mame PC to use as a multi and output 15K. Or maybe ia Mister box if it outputs 15k, need to look into those.

pretty sweet conversion
Thanks, its getting there. Thinking I might setup up a small mame PC to use as a multi and output 15K. Or maybe ia Mister box if it outputs 15k, need to look into those.
Mister looks great on one of these small screens
you can output 15k for all the arcade cores from the HDMI using a HDMI to VGA converter or an IO board, both will give you line out sound
but there is no rotation of the tate games in 15Khz mode

pretty sweet conversion
Mister looks great on one of these small screensyou can output 15k for all the arcade cores from the HDMI using a HDMI to VGA converter or an IO board, both will give you line out sound
but there is no rotation of the tate games in 15Khz mode
That is good to hear, definitely worth a look into it

Thanks looking sick man! What a clean cab. Can't wait to see it all finished up.

@Derick2k Do you mind saying how much the Panels were?

I have a Dino King converted to a Mini Neo Geo and a friend with a Love and Berries looking for a panel as well.

Thanks man!

@Derick2k Do you mind saying how much the Panels were?

I have a Dino King converted to a Mini Neo Geo and a friend with a Love and Berries looking for a panel as well.

Thanks man
Which panels, the CP? The cost was around $45-50ea plus they charge a setup fee of around $70-80 per run, the more you get the lower cost they get to an extent.
I have a few spare stainless steel CPs if you are interested you can have them at cost.

The internal panels you see in the pic were a bit more expensive since they are powder coated stainless steel, but specific to my needs to mount Taito/Sega Jvs io and the Jammafier. I also relocated all the cab buttons/coin counter and install jvs psu harness connectors, etc...

I am @EVAWINGZEROs friend with the L&B. I'd be interested in one of the spare panels. I need a front bezel as well, and that marquee is so nice. I plan to put a MiSTer FPGA in mine, as that would cover a lot of arcade games and consoles. I would really like to get this thing done sometime soon.

I am @EVAWINGZEROs friend with the L&B. I'd be interested in one of the spare panels. I need a front bezel as well, and that marquee is so nice. I plan to put a MiSTer FPGA in mine, as that would cover a lot of arcade games and consoles. I would really like to get this thing done sometime soon.
Mick in plant city used to have and L&B and then I purchased it from him when he moved to Europe..shipping to me in VA was high and a pain then a fellow on the Florida forum traded me a few PCBs for the cab..not sure if that was you and the same cab.. that was many moons ago..

Back