What's new

skate323k137

Enlightened
Reaction score
I have a couple D9200's and figured I may as well have a thread about it.

Both sat unused for at least a year, and had some varying level of issue when in use. I started with the worse one (which I'm basically done with at this point). The previous owner had replaced a few caps extremely poorly and with corroded solder. Thankfully most of those pads were fine and I only had to jumper a couple traces... for the recap anyway. The flyback had been replaced or reflowed poorly as well. I had to fix or jumper bascically every pad for the flyback.

At this point the monitor mostly worked but I ran into an odd issue; the monitor was delaying start up and when it was on it had some clear magnetic interference. Almost like if you had a projection screen that was slowly rippling in the air. Eventually I reasoned that something is wrong with the degauss circuit or coil after the rebuild/recap. I unplugged the degauss coil from the main board (honestly I really don't need it, I can use a wand worst case) and now the monitor starts up instantly and looks great in 31k with a bright, stable, sharp picture.

Album with a bunch of pics from the 1st one:

https://imgur.com/a/XgfXR

A couple choice pics:

NxbPLVr.jpg

3CYX8lO.jpg

2VfDaVN.jpg

cpiVhad.jpg

NYHp1ic.jpg

I love the D9200, curve, can do 15-31khz, great colors (not as good as a 15khz monitor off curse) and perfect for GroovyMame.. not sure why people say that those are bad monitors..

I love the D9200, curve, can do 15-31khz, great colors (not as good as a 15khz monitor off curse) and perfect for GroovyMame.. not sure why people say that those are bad monitors..
This one is still rough with 15k even after recap and service. I'd sooner use an ossc or xrgb2 than send 15k to these directly.

They have a bad rep somewhat deservedly. WG used cheap daewoo 85 degree Celsius caps from the factory. Some people that have pulled and tested them claim the tolerances were so bad that some acted as resistors (!). Also this was WG's first mainly digital monitor (i.e. remote board with buttons not pots) so the quality isn't amazing. I would be willing to bet a lot of the problems with these were due to the cheap caps and resulting issues with circuits containing them.

All that said, it is a really nice monitor in 31k and I'm looking forward to doing the 2nd one on my next week off. It's a solid 6-8 hours to recap these bastards (seriously it's almost 80 caps).

people don't hate them because of the picture they display, people hate them because of their terrible design.

I have two D9400s. Not sure how they compare to these, but there's no way (well, that I know of) to adjust color cutoffs on the D9400. So I have the same game running side by side and it looks completely different on the two monitors :S

Yeah I don't think I found cutoffs. That sucks, but with the fresh caps I got it pretty good and the black is very black. Once I redid the sub bright, focus, brightness and contrast, the color gain adjustments were good enough. We'll see in a few weeks if I can get em matched well or not.

I have one in my blast city. would rather have an ms2930 , but I got it for good price so it's ok. my biggest gripe about it is the crappy 15k. The loud buzzing makes it unusable in a home environment. wish there was a way to fix that :/ does yours buzz as well ?

yeah even after a recap 15k is buzzy and can have some issues with image stability. 31K is quiet and stable. Honestly if I want to run 15k on it I'll look for an xrgb2 or something.

I have one in my blast city. would rather have an ms2930 , but I got it for good price so it's ok. my biggest gripe about it is the crappy 15k. The loud buzzing makes it unusable in a home environment. wish there was a way to fix that :/ does yours buzz as well ?
there must be a way to kill the buzzzzzzing thing... this seems to happen with HAS or regular cab with PCBs only.. But if you put in an RGB console (with the scartwtich with VGA out, I forget that name) 15khz, like the NES, SNES, etc or GroovyMAME you do not get the buzzing sound at 15k and works great.

I hate to say even with groovy mame 15k is still mad buzzy. I just set it to treat it like a 31k monitor.

Only thing I haven't tried is a replacement flyback.

im pretty sure my blast came from the same guy you bought your blast from...i still enjoy playing but if there is a way to minimize buzz id love to know

Maybe when I recap the 2nd one here I'll try a replacement flyback and see if that makes a difference.

I just wanted to add that the Taito scaler (part of the official Vewlix JAMMA Kit) supports 15khz -> 31khz conversion.
It's not as flexible/configurable as the OSSC, but it offers very low lag like the OSSC and many pre-configured popular PCB/game settings.
Also the output is locked at 640x480 analog over a common VGA connector (unlike the OSSC/xRGB Mini that only output digital DVI/HDMI video).

I think my buddy has a extra/loose one for sale, I can check with him if your interested.
Complete in the official kit it's too expensive (@ 400$+) to recommend.

Might be a nice way past the 15khz whine of that CRT, while still enjoying classic JAMMA games/boards?

That would probably look awesome. I'm in no hurry myself but I was unaware of that particular option.

Back