What's new
Hey there! Did anyone find a way to run "18 chip rom board games" on "small 20 chip rom boards" yet? Or is this not possible at all?

I have a spare Spiderman board, and I wanted to turn it into Arabian Fight(obviously, I'll keep all original eproms/mask roms).

Hi!

I have a Revision A Golden Axe 2 board, and the patched ROMs appear to be for Revision B? I tried replacing them in the corresponding slots, and it is still not booting. These are the ones I swapped:

EPR-14957a.ic8 -> EPR-14958b.ic8
EPR-14945a.ic9 -> EPR-15147b.ic9
EPR-14960a.ic17 -> EPR-14961b.ic17
EPR-15146a.ic18 -> EPR-15148b.ic18

Should this work? Or do I have to replace every EPROM on the board? I also verified the jumpers were correct.

Last edited:
Got a S32 DBZ V.R.V.S today. I suspected bad battery module because the seller reported it going dead after the warning sign.

Just to 100% sure it is the battery and nothing else... I am getting "IC16 BAD" when I run the memory test. Is this a fault cased by the security module or something else.? I have no burner currently, but will be getting one shortly.

Edit: Took me ages to find it, but it looks like IC 16 is a little ram chip? Also prevalent on KONAMI boards. I am going to buy a new one and see if it helps. I may pop the rom board on my Spiderman mother to see if it works, too.

Last edited:
IC16 is an SRAM and that error message is a common fault. From the testing I have been able to do, I've found it means the "main system" custom has or is failing.

I have 2 S32 motherboards here with IC16 BAD, one has no sound and the other freezes randomly.

The "main system" custom handles power and IO so it makes sense if it's failed that the errors will differ depending on the manner of failure.

Haha, great. So it means tye board is dead? I was hoping it was just a matter of changing that little SRAM chip.

I used my brain, for a change and tested the ROM board on my Spiderman mother. It of course passed all the tests but still nothing. That security module be dead! Wrapped in plastic!

I noticed some weired looking traces going to/from that SRAM chip, too. Looks like two trace repairs, but factory. They stick out because they are silver and one is crooked. Wondeeing if that has something to do with the error. Don't have a multimetre at the miment so I cannot check continuity.

The SRAM on the Spiderman board is not socketed like the DBZ V.R.V.S so I cannot even swap them to see if there is a difference. Not sure if I have a socketed chip on a KONAMI board or not.

@kebrank if it’s not in the pack I don’t think it was encrypted to begin with, and you can use a mame set

@kebrank if it’s not in the pack I don’t think it was encrypted to begin with, and you can use a mame set
The F1 Super Lap Japanese version is encrypted, Apocalypse passed me the file. I can send it to you so it can be included in the zip file, he is ok with this. However, I don't know what other games are missing.

Thanks,
\o/.k.

The F1 Super Lap Japanese version is encrypted, Apocalypse passed me the file. I can send it to you so it can be included in the zip file, he is ok with this. However, I don't know what other games are missing.
Thanks,
\o/.k.
It’s not my file set

what kind of eprom shall I get to burn the GA2 patched roms? 27C1024?

Hi!

I have a Revision A Golden Axe 2 board, and the patched ROMs appear to be for Revision B? I tried replacing them in the corresponding slots, and it is still not booting. These are the ones I swapped:

EPR-14957a.ic8 -> EPR-14958b.ic8
EPR-14945a.ic9 -> EPR-15147b.ic9
EPR-14960a.ic17 -> EPR-14961b.ic17
EPR-15146a.ic18 -> EPR-15148b.ic18

Should this work? Or do I have to replace every EPROM on the board? I also verified the jumpers were correct.
Good question... The GA2 board I have seems to be Rev A. Shall I replace all roms on the board?

According to MAME, the 4 program ROMs are the only difference between the A and B versions. I'll give a try.

my sega sonic has a Spiderman in the label , and has an ic16 bad rom in the test mode that makes the game reset when pushing start button, if i reprogram the ic16 with it rom will it work good?

probably,
unless there are other problems, like a bad socket or track related to the rom.

Hi, I would like to know if this Rad Rally board can be converted to SegaSonic:

X9K7WCNl.jpg

uqhwGL7l.jpg

24Gm0hnl.jpg

GWTFCICl.jpg

No, this is the conversion table:

837-8393-01 "Big" (18 chip) ROM Board:
Alien 3
Arabian Fight
Burning Rival
Dark Edge
Dragon Ball Z VRVS