Irem M92/M107 conversions: all sound ROMs decrypted

• Irem M92/M107 conversions: all sound ROMs decrypted

Selling files for conversions/desuicide on Sega System C2/Sega System 24/Sega System 32, Capcom CPS1, Irem M92/M107 and more (just ask)
      Money is reinvested in boards, parts and tools in order to release more stuff.
      Contact me through my blog: arcadefixer.blogspot.co.nz/
    • Welcome!

Thanks for the work/info. Maybe @Darksoft can work on creating a multi for these boards :thumbsup:
      Multis: CPS2│CPS3│ST-V│F3│GNET│TTX2│NAOMI
      Superguns: Jasen's MK30ADCAP│RGB's HASv3
      MB: NAOMI 1,2│MV-1FZ & MV-4│IGS PGM│SEGA ST-V│TAITO F3│TTX2,X3
      CAPCOM CPS*│RINGWIDE/RINGEDGE 1, 2│HYPER 64
      LINDBERGH Y/B|IREM M*|CAVE (ALL YOUR BASE)

+++
    • Derick2k wrote:

Welcome!

Thanks for the work/info. Maybe @Darksoft can work on creating a multi for these boards :thumbsup:
      Thanks.
      I've thought about it myself (I've got a diploma in electronic design) but I'm just lacking of time and money to support that kind of project.
      Selling files for conversions/desuicide on Sega System C2/Sega System 24/Sega System 32, Capcom CPS1, Irem M92/M107 and more (just ask)
    • jassin000 wrote:

I'm desperate for a M92 multi!
      It's in my top 3 dream projects for Darksoft.

#1 CPS1 Multi
      #2 Naomi Multi
      #3 M92 Multi
      #1 does exists, aje_fr (French hacker) made it a reality few years ago. I've started to work on an alternative but real life keeps me away from this project
      #3 isn't that much complicated. The only difficulty I face is to find the corrects jumpers positions for all the different romboards but with the help of members here I'm sure we can figure it out

Ironically I'm not really interested in multi boards as I started collecting years ago (when It was damn cheap). For instance I own at least one version of each CPS1 and CPS2 games and it cost me less than a multi board for the whole set (these were the days my friend). Only interest would be saving space for me.
    • donluca wrote:

Apocalypse wrote:

#1 does exists, aje_fr (French hacker) made it a reality few years ago. I've started to work on an alternative but real life keeps me away from this project
      He has long stopped producing them, unfortunately. I'm patiently waiting for an alternative.
      Ok I will tease you a little bit more.
      My idea was to produce a board with no games included (aje_fr did include roms but that was not legal, it's one of the reasons he stopped making them) but instead providing a software to automatically convert roms for the C-board you plan to use. That means the user downloads/dumps romsets wherever he wants then uses the software to patch the program roms. It's a kind of dynamic IPS patch. I've already identified the addresses to be modified for ~30 games or so, then with the help of MAME's source it's just a matter of recalculating registers offsets and layer masks. Also some games require an additional patch to bypass the multiply protections (which is then made by the main CPU with a mul instruction, quite hungry regarding cycle time but not really noticeable in game).
    • acblunden2 wrote:

I just picked up a Major Title 2 board. You guys twisted my arm. Damnit.
      Worth it!

You'll need to swap jumpers around for different games, so just desolder the existing wire jumpers and install some pin headers. Then it's easy rom swaps and changing jumpers for each game. I mean to post jumper positions for NBB and RTL for apocalypse's sets just as soon as I get around to confirming RTL.
      have multi: cps2 cps3 ttx2 naomi(netboot) st-v gnet f3 mvs(soon!)
      want multi: cps1 pgm 246/256 system16 naomi(cart) m92 atomiswave
      klov games list | custom fight sticks
      current project(s): cab-less ttx3 |quiz gakumon conversion | bloxeed conversion
    • Made an offer on eBay not thinking it would be accepted. But it was instantly accepted! Guess money is tight all over at this time of year. Compared to even recent KLOV prices, I think I got a bargain. The M92 board has been on my radar for some time. Can't really afford this now, but I guess I need to eat less anyway. R-Type was one of my fave games in the arcade. So I am very happy.

Thanks @Apocalypse for this decryption effort. Will definitely be using it now that I will be getting the Major Title 2 board.
      Arcade Multi Systems:
      • Sega: ST-V, Naomi w/Net Dimm, Naomi w/CF Boot (DIY and OG versions), Taito: G Net, Taito F3, Capcom CPS2, Capcom CPS3, Neo Geo MVS 4-Slot
    • I bought dream soccer (m92 version) a while back and it turned out to be a conversion from gunforce
      :(.

My rom board looks like this (not my pic).
      Except i got double stacked eproms on all 512k positions. And mine have sockets in all positions

Can I use this board to make a in the hunt for example? Or do I need a specific rom board?

Thanks!
      Images
      • GunforceIIEbay_zps3472f848.jpg

27 kB, 454×273, viewed 11 times
    • New

Apocalypse wrote:

That means the user downloads/dumps romsets wherever he wants then uses the software to patch the program roms. It's a kind of dynamic IPS patch. I've already identified the addresses to be modified for ~30 games or so, then with the help of MAME's source it's just a matter of recalculating registers offsets and layer masks. Also some games require an additional patch to bypass the multiply protections (which is then made by the main CPU with a mul instruction, quite hungry regarding cycle time but not really noticeable in game).

I believe this deserves its own thread. I'll just write down my own thoughts about this process.

I don't like hacking the program roms to make them "universal", it's the kind of approach which always ends up giving trouble.

IMHO (and from a pure "academical" point of view), the correct way would be to emulate the C Boards, understand what they do, and reproduce that behavior in software. The board would then use the original, untouched ROMs and let them behave exactly the same as it would on a normal PCB. The calls to the C Board get intercepted by whatever system you'd like to use, which replies the same way as an original C Board would.
    • New

I think launching a CPS1 Multi with the plan of using ROMs modified to all target a common existing C Board (like the common B-21 revision) would be a great starting point to get a working Multi out the door for everyone. Later, a Universal C board with an FPGA that simulates the specific C board for the unaltered ROM could be substituted once the engineering work for that is done.

Kind of a parallel to how the DS Multi initially required modified ROMs but was later able to accommodate original ROMa through key programming.