What's new
ken@ireparisega.com is the acknowledged expert. But he actually lives 5 miles from my work. No where near your neck of the woods. Would cost you less to get a new NAOMI 2 than to ship it back and forth and pay for the service.

I have thought the same thing; I have a couple Naomi 2 boards that I would like to send to Ken, but the shipping and repair costs are significant. The problem is finding a reasonably priced Naomi 2 seems difficult at best. Naomi 1 boards seem plentiful and very reasonably priced, but Naomi 2 harder to find and under $200 in many cases. Does anyone have a better source for a Naomi 2 boards? Perhaps I am not looking in the right places.

thanks guys for the Information.

i would Need to find somebody in Germany i guess.

I checked the system again und think ....isn't it possible that the filter board or the vga section of it got damaged?
does anyone have a idea how the pick the Picture signals off at another position on the board? or how to check the filter board parts with the multi meter.

thanks

Does the game play blind then? Do you hear the Naomi jingle when you turn it on?

Because if you're not getting anything out of it, then it's not a video output issue.

Filter boards are just passive components, they very rarely go bad. If you can't see a visible issue (like a missing EMI filter or a deep scratch), there probably isn't one.

no sound too. but the netdimm seems to work because the raspberry pi gets a connection and starts to send the game.

there are two red led on the dim board... led 14 and 15 I guess the are lit up red. does anyone know what they are supposed to say?

The netdimm has it's own microcontroller, so it's pretty normal it still runs when it's getting power.
Shouldn't naomi at least show something (even without netdimm or rom cartridge) when it's powered?
(Like the Naomi startup screen followed by an error message.)

The netdimm has it's own microcontroller, so it's pretty normal it still runs when it's getting power.
Shouldn't naomi at least show something (even without netdimm or rom cartridge) when it's powered?
(Like the Naomi startup screen followed by an error message.)
I thought so too that there should something show up without cartridge

There is an issue with the vga cable.
If I remember well, the naomi has 5V on pin 9 of the vga connector.
On it's original vga cable, that pin is not connected to the other end as some monitors connect it to gnd, so they basically short that 5V output.
Another thing I noticed on chihiro is that it's not having a vertical sync output. It just outputs composite sync on the horizontal sync pin. Not
sure if Naomi is the same. Some older monitors I have don't like this signal.
If you testing with an original arcade vga monitor, it's not your problem.
If there should be a boot sound as well, not having that and not having a picture would
be a strong indication that your cpu isn't running.
The obvious checks like supply voltages and fan output signals have already been mentionned.
A bad or improper inserted boot rom would likely cause a similar behavour.

thank you very much.

I will check all that... the vga cable problem sound interesting...so I can not use a normal vga cable?

the vga cable problem sound interesting...so I can not use a normal vga cable?
it's only a problem if you're using it in a cab with a Nanao or similar monitor.
pin 9 is supposed to be a 5V signal, so the NAOMI outputs that correctly but some monitor tie that pin to ground.

the older VGA spec used pin 9 as a key, so you can pull it out without issue. the best way to fix it IMO would be to de-pin pin-9 on your monitor since that's the device that doesn't follow the spec.

If there should be a boot sound as well, not having that and not having a picture would
be a strong indication that your cpu isn't running.
This right here. Don't waste your time troubleshooting it.

Ok. Perhaps I should give a short description how it all happend.
Bought the Naomi 2 with pii setup and used it together with the HAS supergun, a Sega I/O Board and a SUN psu. Running on a B&O tv running through the supergun setup.
Worked fine so far.
Then I went to a friend of mine who owns a Naomi cabinet. Put it in there and it worked fine too. No problem at all. I left it inside there for him to play more.
After some days he said that there was no more picture and sound coming up when he switched it on.
So I came there and checked it. We put a Taito x3 in to test if it is perhaps the cab. Picture came up purple and messed up. We changed the vga cable for another one and the Taito came up with fine picture.
We put in again the Naomi. But no picture. All fans run though.
Took it home again to test with my supergun. But no luck since then.

Does your friends NAOMI cabinet have the Sega VGA cable (white/gray cable with a silver metal plug) or a generic VGA cable (black or blue plastic plug)?

if it's not got the Sega VGA cable then it's possible you blew something out on the NAOMI video out as a result of pin 9 being grounded.

first thing I would do is check for 5V on pin 9 of the VGA connector on the NAOMI, also verify the video ground pin and if you have access to a scope or if your multi meter has a frequency mode check for signal on the sync pin and the color pins.

if any of them seem off then start tracking back the components on the filter board toward the main board and verify that they're functioning.

If the picture with the taito was originally purple and all messed up, how would you describe messed up?
Was the picture stable or did it appear to have no sync?

Has your friend checked the voltage he's been running it on? He might have cooked your ram chips. It's a common issue, see this thread:

Naomi 2: Dead - Where to start?
the voltage was not checked before. I will have to check next time.it ran one evening at last. Do you think the rams live that long under too high voltage?

If the picture with the taito was originally purple and all messed up, how would you describe messed up?
Was the picture stable or did it appear to have no sync?
yes like sync messed up and a purple tone. But with another vga cable it was fine.

Back