What's new
It is not as effective as thermal paste, but I assume these are delivered with thermal tape, not standard double sided tape ;)

Anyways it will always be more effective than no heatsink at all

I bought a few of those heat sinks from local electronics parts store here. It is aluminum and has a 3M sticky tape on the back and the size is 2.7 cm x 2.7 cm
Doesn't having tape on a heatsink defeats the purpose of having good contact to improve heat dissipation?
I don't know, I didn't put the tape myself but they just come with the tape already attached to them. You just peel the paper. These heat sinks are the kind which you generally see on hobby/robot stores sold for Raspberry.

I guess @rtw can reveal the ultimate result with his amazing heat-sink test photos. :)

I just did a rough measurement of a board stack, and it will not be possible to go any higher than 14/15mm.
So to avoid hitting the B board and allowing some space to breath, I wouldn’t go any higher than 12mm.

Or even 10mm to be sure ;)

So to avoid hitting the B board and allowing some space to breath, I wouldn’t go any higher than 12mm.
Indeed, and remember IF a hypothetical full B-board replacement WAS made...
How do we know both sides wouldn't be populated with chips/structors?

Further limiting the amount of space between the A and B boards.

FYI, the height of the heatsinks I used on my cps1 A boards is only 8mm.

FYI, the height of the heatsinks I used on my cps1 A boards is only 8mm.
Can you estimate how much clearance there is to the B board with the heatsink fitted?
IMG_4391.JPG

1) Distance between A and B boards: 19 mm
2) Distance from top of heat-sink to B board PCB: 7 mm
3) Distance from top of heat-sink to tip of soldered pins of upper components: 5 mm
4) Height of heat-sink: 8 mm

My measurements are rough but within error margin of 1mm ;)

Since we are talking about A boards, here is a funny thing for you :) A complete 100% bootleg CPS1 A board :D

IMG_4388.JPG

And the bootleg CPS-A-01 asic...

IMG_4389.JPG

It is hard to believe that someone took the necessary time & effort to reproduce these back in the day...

It is not working though but I'll try the ASIC in one of my cps1 A boards...

I haven't seen that A custom before, but there's one that's appeared before labelled COMCO

I wonder if the bootleggers did reproduce it or if they just managed to "obtain" the ASICs before they were silkscreened?

If it was reproduced it would be great to get the reproduced versions looked at by someone who knows about these things to see how it was done/if it would be possible to do it again

Man, I always wonder if the A board in these could be reproduced with modern electronics.

Paging @brizzo, do you have any info that you could share on this topic.

Man, I always wonder if the A board in these could be reproduced with modern electronics.

I cannot comment specifically on these custom chips used on CPS1-A board, as I really have no idea how they work.

But yes in theory just about any pcb can be reproduced with custom parts, just depends how much you want to invest :D

I cannot comment specifically on these custom chips used on CPS1-A board, as I really have no idea how they work.

But yes in theory just about any pcb can be reproduced with custom parts, just depends how much you want to invest :D
we got about 2 grand and a punisher board, would that get it done?

:thumbsup:

That's for getting CPS1.5 to work on CPS2 hardware :P

Though if CPS1 stuff all worked on CPS2, that would be even better

A replacement for the A board would be awesome

Last edited:
Back