What's new
Since we are talking about A boards, here is a funny thing for you :) A complete 100% bootleg CPS1 A board :D

IMG_4388.JPG

And the bootleg CPS-A-01 asic...

IMG_4389.JPG

It is hard to believe that someone took the necessary time & effort to reproduce these back in the day...

It is not working though but I'll try the ASIC in one of my cps1 A boards...
There's the exact same ASIC on the bootleg CPS1 game I got from Blackfish with the exact same reference:
@Blackfish Is it possible to get larger pics of the 2 square chips in the bottom middle, and the set of 10 chips in the bottom right of this bootleg?
Here's a clearer pic of the 2 large chips and the socketed chips, I have rotated the image but its still a little hard to read so I will take a better image of them tonight. As far as game play and Sprite defects I'll also give it a better playthrough tonight. I didn't have time to actually play it over the weekend. Hope this is of interest @Asure and @Apocalypse

IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_0994b.jpg
I've transplanted those 2 chips on OG CPS1 hardware and can confirm:
- 27C633 is a perfect replacement for CPS-B-21 (found on C boards) with default keys
- 27C634 is a perfect replacement for CPS-A-01 (found on A boards)
However I don't think they were hijacked stock before reference printing as chip package is slightly different from the OG chips (different angles and manufacturing marks).
Maybe "stolen" dies?

Maybe "stolen" dies?
My guess is some whole wafers went "missing" from the original factory.

I don't believe single die would have made it past the dice&sort operations as these are often are done at the same factory providing the finished module.
As pointed out these modules are different.

When my company ships completed wafers out for example, we'll test 'em and then tape mount 'em.
The receiving module factory dices/cuts our mounted wafer, then using the verified test map I generate, pulls any/all good die out for wirebonding/module.

Back