What's new
Let's dream of an accord where you would use his work and give him some money in return for each unit sold.
I dream of this too, but if I recall no amount of bribery would convince him to sell me (a non-native French guy) one.
I can't see him offering up the code/information for money, if he won't even sell me a completed kit (all I really wanted anyway).

I would be happy to donate money to a collection pool, see if we can generate enough cash to sway him?

if I recall no amount of bribery would convince him to sell me (a non-native French guy) one.
in May of last year he said this:

This board was in beta state and for update purpose it was easiest to privilege french users.
[...]
Right now, board is working just fine, once all french waiting list will be cleared, orders will be open internationally.
That sounds to me like he considered his multi to be in "Beta" and was only selling locally because it was easiest to troubleshoot with people in his native language and once the bugs were worked out he would be selling world-wide.

I don't know if plans changed or what else happened but it's been a year and a half since then.

@aje_fr What is going on with your CPS1 multi? You have a lot of fans who would like to purchase one. :)

I would also happily contribute to a fund to get the CPS1 A custom reproduced
I thought you could use customs off a CPS2 A board to repair a CPS1.
You can
I would also happily contribute to a fund to get the CPS1 A custom reproduced
I thought you could use customs off a CPS2 A board to repair a CPS1.
That's what I've heard as well. Doesn't solve the problem though, just creates more dead CPS2 A boards, and eventually CPS2 will be in the same boat as CPS1.
Exactly this. And not just that but you're killing a working board (that aren't $10 trash by any stretch) - unless you somehow find a pile of CPS2 A boards with severe battery damage but untouched A-01 ICs

The A custom is starting to die on CPS2 now as well, so a reproduction of the chip going forward would be a good investment IMO

I've seen chinese bootlegs using small PCB's that fit in an eprom socket populated with flash chips. Not as comprehensive and detailed as aje_fr's custom B-board, but wouldn't it be possible if we select a single type of a standard B-board as a donor and if populated with couple of small PCBs with flash chips and have them interconnected to a master controller (like a raspberry Pi) to re-program these flash chips on the fly you may end up with a "poor man's multi"?

Obviously to make the project more simple, the program code of all the titles must be modified to work with a standard C-Board with a more available type of asic such as CPS-B-21.

Ofcourse this is just a rough idea but I'm sure there are smart guys out there who can build such a simpler setup rather than re-investing time and effort in designing a huge custom B-board and dealing with complex production cycles.

Do you think this is "doable"?

I'm more concerned with a FPGA solution for the A boards. These things are dying left and right, a multi will be useless if there aren't any boards to attach it to.
Which is why we need Darksoft to work on this. He has the skills and knowledge to make it better, faster, complete and proper multi that is accessible to all to purchase.

Want bad. Would buy!

Edit: in for 1

Last edited:
He has the skills and knowledge to make it better, faster, complete and proper multi
And once I have said multi I'll sell 3 original CPS1 games with A-boards.
Yes the failing customs are a problem that need to be addressed eventually.

Starting with a multi makes the most sense, because it should actually be easier to develop than a custom FPGA replacement.
Then as in my example maybe collectors will be more willing to let extra boards go, freeing up more A-boards.

I have a CP2, and I've prepaid for my MultiMVS , so of course I'd want a CPS1!

I can pull that crummy pandora's box board out of my other dynamo and make it my multiCPS1

You know it's a shame aje_fr has stopped making them.
I mean he did all the work and got something working well with any C board donor.
Maybe you should contact him, it would be such a waste of time starting a new project from scratch.
Let's dream of an accord where you would use his work and give him some money in return for each unit sold.
DS might correct me on this one, but I remember asking the exact same question before and DS said he tried to reach out to aje_fr and he wasn't interested in a partnership or anything else.

I'd be down for one as long as it's done properly.

The one aje_fr made was very well thought-out and effective.

About CPS1.5: *strongly* imho, who cares for the handful of games it has, it's just not worth the hassle (which would translate to a higher price point as well).

About A-Boards clone with FPGA: please don't offer a single solution with A-Board + Multi, try to keep them separated so that we can buy just the multi if we have working A-Boards, or both if we need the complete system.

Also, there are lots of users out there with broken A-Boards which would be more than happy to buy a modern, reliable FPGA implementation for their B and C boards.

About CPS1.5: *strongly* imho, who cares for the handful of games it has, it's just not worth the hassle (which would translate to a higher price point as well).
Worth it for the Punisher imho

Best solution would be for a CPS1 multi is to just focus on CPS1 games and the few CPS 1.5 games could eventually be ported to the CPS2 multi.
This. CPS1.5 is closer to CPS2 than CPS1 and from what I understand there are already people who have cursory implementations of Punisher running on the CPS2 hardware

It would be nice to get the 1.5 stuff though. There may have only been a handful of games but they were all really good.

I agree completely with @kuze the CPS1 multi project should focus on CPS1 games only.
Adding 1.5 support would also create additional challenges, one biggest being price.

Our best bet for CPS1.5 going forward is to start a community donation/bounty for @Apocalypse (or anyone else with the skills) to port the ROMs into our current CPS2 multi.

I've already offered up my original Punisher CPS1.5 board to the person who can get it working perfectly on the multi.
No joke guys! If work officially starts I'll send the board to a neutral 3rd party (like Mits or DS) to be handed over upon completion. :)

but of course I'm down for a cps1 multi.
I have to complete the trifecta

Back