What's new
Yes please on screen menus are the best for multis :D
Then you need to implement a way to get back to the menu (like maintaining start button pressed for 5s). Then people want to be able to disable that functionality.Look at the MVS multi thread...
Exactly. You hit the nail on the head.

+1 for interest as well.

I'm totally fine with (and prefer) the same remote LCD for game selection as the CPS2. Probably going to eventually have all three (CPS1/2/3) in my Capcom Impress on a switcher. (As long as there are no space or heating issues)
Ditto on the LCD selector. My 3 are going in my recently acquired Big Blue :D

On screen menu is fine for CPS3 since the writing time is so long you're not really going to be switching much, but yeah the LCD is the way to go for the others.

It's entirely possible to make a small board with a switch and 2 crystals on it

The issues are:

1) Making it not look ugly as hell

2) Making sure it fits into the holes and position of the original crystal

I'm sure it'll happen, just not immediately when there are other priorities
Yeah I'm thinking it will be something custom built. But as long as it works, I'm all for it.

Then you need to implement a way to get back to the menu (like maintaining start button pressed for 5s). Then people want to be able to disable that functionality.
Look at the MVS multi thread...
More trouble than it's worth...... :(

Would it be easier to software mod 1941 and whatever other games glitch at 12mHz to work correctly at that speed instead of hardware modding two crystals and a speed selector switch?

Haha guess it's just me that prefers onscreen menus. Just find dipswitches and LCD selectors a bit prehistoric and cumbersome. Can also be inconvenient pending location and setup. Sometimes easier to gain access to the menu via controller / joystick / button inputs.

I have the Chinese CPS 14-in-1 and bad points aside, the presentation and ease of use is rather good.

lcd makes you choose the game without rebooting to the menu, it's quick

menu is better hardware wise, economy of space, no need for 2 screens or opening the cab, you gain time accessing the lcd, you lose more time rebooting, then choosing a game depending on loading times.

ingame menu with a combination shortcut without rebooting to see the gamelist would be best of both worlds if it's possible to overlay the software to the actual game, like the unibios menu.

I can't imagine how long press of start + a direction can happen accidentally, maybe while falling asleep on the panel, or after a pack of 12 beers

count me in for the multi.

Last edited:
I think what we want the same "instant" experience that you can get with chinese 14-in-1 (but with all the CPS1 games in one cart).
Instant load and "what you see is what you get". No need to open up the panel to access the LCD module or having the LCD module dangling around outside the cab.

But then I realise if all CPS1 games can be ported to CPS2. Eventually we dont even need Multi CPS1 anymore. Just use your awesome CPS2 Darksoft Multi and you are good to go

Another job for the DFO.

Drop in replacement:

_DIL14_foto2.JPG

Also for MVS

Last edited:
But then I realise if all CPS1 games can be ported to CPS2.
Without background music/sounds... You wana play a bunch of CPS1 games missing original sound tracks?
We've been over and over this, you can't convert ADPCM (the code CPS1 uses) into Q-Sound (the code CPS1.5/2 uses) directly.

It would all need to be replaced, and then I wouldn't give a shit about playing it on original hardware (aka just use a emulator if you don't care about accuracy).

Another job for the DFO.
Could the DFO attachment be controlled by the multi board itself automatically based on what ROM was selected?
Ie game selected is 12mhz, so multi flashes ROMs and sets crystal speed to 12mhz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the DFO attachment be controlled by the multi board itself automatically based on what ROM was selected?
From this: https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5744.0

By tying the s0 input of the CDCE913 to either a low or a high logic level, it's possible to change the frequency of the clock output signal.
So yeah, the multi would just need to be tied into that pin and set it low or high based on which frequency the particular game needed.

Back