What's new

penrhos

Grand Master
Reaction score
Picked two of these up from YHJ both look identical and came with the same game and seem to work fine. I want to flash both to MB2011 (for obvious reasons).

However one flashed to MB2011 with no issues at all, the other keep failing with 1F1000 erase error about 60% through the first phase, since doing this sometimes it does a couple of resets when first loading up but then seems to work fine.

Any suggestions???

Got another issue now. The one I'd successfully flashed to MB-2011 has been working fine since October. I tried loading a new game and the PCB got stuck in a reboot loop as it failed to complete the flash (faulty CF-card).

So I powered off the PCB and put a known working CF card in and it still wouldn't boot. I put the only original G-NET card I have in and it reloaded from the card and started working.

However now it's reporting the original G-Net firmware and if I re-flash with MB-2011 it says it's done it but still runs the original firmware.

Somewhere there must be a backup copy of the Taito firmware on the board and somehow its switched to using that rather than the updated one.

Any ideas on how to get the firmware back to MB-2011???

Got another issue now. The one I'd successfully flashed to MB-2011 has been working fine since October. I tried loading a new game and the PCB got stuck in a reboot loop as it failed to complete the flash (faulty CF-card).

So I powered off the PCB and put a known working CF card in and it still wouldn't boot. I put the only original G-NET card I have in and it reloaded from the card and started working.

However now it's reporting the original G-Net firmware and if I re-flash with MB-2011 it says it's done it but still runs the original firmware.

Somewhere there must be a backup copy of the Taito firmware on the board and somehow its switched to using that rather than the updated one.

Any ideas on how to get the firmware back to MB-2011???
You probably need to desolder the chip containing the BIOS and put a new one.

I believe it's the one at U30. Check here:
https://newastrocity.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/taito-g-net-system-fc-pcb.png

I suspected U30 was the bios - but what I don't understand is how it's managed to switch itself back to the standard firmware, as that infers that there is a dual-bios or a hard-wired backup-bios that's not updated when you flash with the modbios 2011 eprom somewhere on the board (either that or U30 has two bios images in it at different addresses and the G-Net can toggle between them if there is a problem.

As I don't have the facility to flash TSOP-56 chips I suppose I'll just have to get another and sell this as a standard G-Net PCB. (I have a Dataman S4 & a GQ-4X haven't got a TSOP adapter to fit either).

I suspected U30 was the bios - but what I don't understand is how it's managed to switch itself back to the standard firmware, as that infers that there is a dual-bios or a hard-wired backup-bios that's not updated when you flash with the modbios 2011 eprom somewhere on the board (either that or U30 has two bios images in it at different addresses and the G-Net can toggle between them if there is a problem.

As I don't have the facility to flash TSOP-56 chips I suppose I'll just have to get another and sell this as a standard G-Net PCB. (I have a Dataman S4 & a GQ-4X haven't got a TSOP adapter to fit either).
I'm not sure about how that is handled, but I agree with you.....better sell it as a standard with a warning that is not updatable...

Thanks for the info @Darksoft

I recently received a G-NET Board with the same symptoms. I ordered a pre programmed LH28F160S5T from buyicnow, replaced the chip and now the board is fully update-able :D

Thanks for the info @Darksoft

I recently received a G-NET Board with the same symptoms. I ordered a pre programmed LH28F160S5T from buyicnow, replaced the chip and now the board is fully update-able :D
I have a G-NET MB with the same issue. What bios did you provide to buyicnow? I'm going to have to do the same to get this one update-able, and I wanted to make sure I gave them the right file for programming. :)

This is why this forum is like my home.

Back