What's new

FrancoB

Champion
Reaction score
My F3 Multi setup seems to have developed a fault.

When I first received the unit it seemed to work fine, although to be honest I only tried a couple of games. I then used it again a few weeks later and played a couple of horizontal games. FFW to Sunday and I thought I would try Bubble Bobble 2 but when I tried it I noticed some background faults. I've tried a few other games on the multi and I'm getting background faults on those too now. It's strange as my mobo/cart hasn't even moved and has been plugged into my E2 the whole time ?(

I've got a JP cart of Bubble Symphony so I swapped that over and it works fine. Swap back to the multi and I get exactly the same GFX faults.

5v is running at 5.05v at the JAMMA edge. I've updated my rom set on the SD card. I've plugged/unplugged the multi numerous times and it looks to be making a good connection. I've tried pushing down on the interboard connectors too but I've not seen any improvement.

Any ideas?

Photos:

Original Bubble Symphony Cart:

20171208_165846-XL.jpg

20171208_165851-XL.jpg

20171208_165902-XL.jpg

Bubble Bobble 2 on DS Multi:

20171208_165702-XL.jpg

20171208_165707-XL.jpg

20171208_165716-XL.jpg

Other F3 Multi games:

20171208_165219-XL.jpg

20171208_165424-XL.jpg

20171208_165455-XL.jpg

20171208_165428-XL.jpg

20171208_165500-XL.jpg

20171208_165239-XL.jpg

20171208_164940-XL.jpg

As always, try an sd card reformat first.

Yea seems like possible data corruption on the SD card, esp because it was working fine when it was first setup.
Fresh format and maybe even another SD card just to rule that out.

Thanks for the help gents.

What's the best way to format?

I just tried Windows Quick Format > put reset firmware img.zip on SD > reset firmware on cart/cab > copied game roms onto SD > same issue

Currently using an old Sandisk 4GD SDHC. Write speed did seem really slow though (~1.7MB/s) so I wonder if something's fucky with it.

I'll pickup another SD card to try, I need to pick one up ready for the Neo Multi too. Is any specific brand/class/speed/size etc recommended?

Normally I'm a Sandisk guy, but I've been using Samsung microSD's on Darksoft multis lately with great success.
The firmware update only needs to be run once, so on the next Windows Explorer (quick) format (with default cluster size) just copy the "games" directory.

I agree. Try another microsd card. 4gb Samsung if possible.

Normally I'm a Sandisk guy, but I've been using Samsung microSD's on Darksoft multis lately with great success.
The firmware update only needs to be run once, so on the next Windows Explorer (quick) format (with default cluster size) just copy the "games" directory.
I agree. Try another microsd card. 4gb Samsung if possible.
Cheers guys. I've just ordered one of [these]. It should be here tomorrow. I'll try it and report back.

Thanks for the help gents.

What's the best way to format?
You can try the SD Formatter from the SD Association:https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Thanks jugu, I'll give that a go too.

A friend of mine had similar issues, this was his solution:

On the F3 Multi I found cold solder on the Xilinx at U3. Tapping it would cause the bad graphics to come and go, and/or reset the system. Reflowing seems to let all games load without issues!

Thanks for info.... Let's try the micro SD first and hope it's that....

I managed to find another couple of SD cards so I tried those whilst I'm waiting for the 4GB Samsung.

1) 8GB Sandisk
Formatted with SD Card Formatter. Copied Game folder onto card and inserted into Multi. Re-flashed Bubble Bobble 2 and it looked to be working ok!!! Tried Darius Gaiden EX and still have GFX issues, damn.

2) 8GB Kingston
Formatted with SD Card Formatter. Copied Game folder onto card and inserted into Multi. Re-flashed Bubble Bobble 2 - Exact same GFX issues with original 4GB Sandisk in the OP.

I then inserted the 8GB Sandisk card again, re-flashed Bubble Bobble 2 and I have GFX issues this time that I didn't have at step 1) ??

I tried tapping the Xilinx at U3 but it didn't seem to have an effect.

I've been writing the roms to the SD cards using the internal SD card reader/writer in my laptop. I have an external USB card reader/writer so I'm going to try that next to rule that out.

try with a 4gb please. It could ve a cold solder but I'm pretty sure it's rather a microsd issue.

Don't use SD formatting tools, use good ole Windows Explorer (quick) Format (FAT32) with default everything.

I managed to find another couple of SD cards so I tried those whilst I'm waiting for the 4GB Samsung.

1) 8GB Sandisk
Formatted with SD Card Formatter. Copied Game folder onto card and inserted into Multi. Re-flashed Bubble Bobble 2 and it looked to be working ok!!! Tried Darius Gaiden EX and still have GFX issues, damn.

2) 8GB Kingston
Formatted with SD Card Formatter. Copied Game folder onto card and inserted into Multi. Re-flashed Bubble Bobble 2 - Exact same GFX issues with original 4GB Sandisk in the OP.

I then inserted the 8GB Sandisk card again, re-flashed Bubble Bobble 2 and I have GFX issues this time that I didn't have at step 1) ??

I tried tapping the Xilinx at U3 but it didn't seem to have an effect.

I've been writing the roms to the SD cards using the internal SD card reader/writer in my laptop. I have an external USB card reader/writer so I'm going to try that next to rule that out.
Definitely sounds like a possible SD card issue if BB2 worked OK with the 8GB Sandisk, but not with your other SD card.

Beware fraudulent SD cards btw, I once ordered a 128GB SD card that turned out to be a 1GB card spoofed to 128GB. X(

If you are buying direct from Amazon and not a third party seller on there, I'd imagine you'll be OK though.

Also make a check from Windows to see if there are any file system errors.

Thanks for the winmerge tip rtw. I actually use winmerge all the time at work for checking NC programs but I'd never thought of using it to check other files.

The 4GB Samsung card has arrived but unfortunately I have the exact same issues.

* I've copied the files directly onto the new SD card > all binary files showing identical to downloaded files in winmerge > same GFX Issues.

* I used quick format in windows > copied files onto SD card > all binary files showing identical to downloaded files in winmerge > same GFX issues.

* I used SD Card Formattter > copied files onto SD card > all binary files showing identical to downloaded files in winmerge > same GFX issues.

* I've tries using another PC and another card reader/writer > same issues.

* I've checked the SD card for file system errors using the Tools in Explorer and it reports no errors.

That's two 4GB cards and two 8GB cards I've tried. All with similar results so I can assume it's not the SD card?

i would assume it's a problem with the multi at this stage.

Can you try to do a firm update and see if that changes anything?

Also, pretty obvious but make 100% sure that the multi sits properly. Check connectivity with a tester if needed please.

Thanks for the continued help.

I did try a firmware reset previously it was this version > Fri Jun 9 13:26:20 CEST 2017 Firmware type: RELEASE Build: %s 438

I've reseated the multi a few times. I'm off out shortly but I'll check continuity pin to pin tomorrow.

Back