What's new

chriscast

Student
Reaction score
Anybody knows where we can still buy compatible IDE DVD drives for the 246/256 systems?

Preferably online stores (international shipping) or maybe ebay?

Ebay is really your best bet. Don't buy something expensive. Just buy something used and if it doesn't work, tell the seller it doesn't work correctly (i.e. read discs, tray doesn't come out). Most of the time, they'll just refund the money without having to get you to return it.

yeah, seems like ebay is the only way to go for now

You can grab a nice Plextor IDE DVD on eBay for $10-30/shipped if you're in the US.

Microcenter had a few of these (old IDE drives) on a shelf in Cambridge MA... I'm not sure what the deal is, as they come with no box or cables and look used.

Ebay is really your best bet. Don't buy something expensive. Just buy something used and if it doesn't work, tell the seller it doesn't work correctly (i.e. read discs, tray doesn't come out). Most of the time, they'll just refund the money without having to get you to return it.
This kind of practice seems a little dishonest to me, unless they're specifically selling it as a System 246/256 drive.

I'd suggest that if the drive proves to be incompatible with a 246/256 unit, then one should at least test the drive in a PC. If it doesn't work in a PC either, then sure, resolve the issue with the seller. If it does work, then there really is no legitimate cause to make a faulty item claim.

Back