What's new

werrock

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new on this forum and I hope you guy can help me finnish a project I started.

So basically I want to create a conversion of the MVS 161-in-1 cart into AES, fit it into an AES shell and box with custom artwork. All without using any parts from existing AES games (hence the challenge). I have broken this down into 4 step as listed below:

1. Convert the game
2. Make/Find custom cartridge case
3. Make/Find custom AES box
4. Make/Find artwork for label/cover and print

The goal is not only completion but also at a very low cost. This since the MVS cart is already pricey enough so I want the rest to be cost efficient.

Current status

* Convert the game
I have got the MVS cart and made a custom PCB that will handle the conversions nicely (I hope!) for both the CHAR and PROG board. This is my first PCB project and it was a bit more work than expected. They have been sent for manufacturing so currently waiting for them to pop up before continuing. Based on info from this:
To not having to use AES parts I have emulated the ZMC2 in a Xilinx CPLD that is 5V tolerant.

* Make/Find custom cartridge case
I have not found anything here. Currently looking into the possibility to make my own case using molding. Resin casting might be possible. This is the point I am the most worried about not turning out good enough without spending a lot of money.

* Make/Find custom AES box
Current thinking of buying the boxes at:
http://southtown-homebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=170&products_id=1073
No better options found, I think this would be perfect but afraid the box is too big for the cart.

* Make/Find artwork for label/cover and print
No idea how to make or to print. Have no talent for art but at the same time I am sure I will be able to solve this with decent result.

I hope that you guys might have some info on how to proceed on the points where status is not that great. All suggestions are welcome. I wish to make a tutorial on how to make this once the project has been completed.

Thats a good project, as we will need all of this anyway if a multi for the aes comes out.

Have you been in contact with ngdev or raz or jeff about aes cases and boxes? i think they can mold them.

I have no idea of who anyone of those are, please link me in the right direction.

I heard about that multi and it sounds very cool, this has way lower goal rather aiming for a build-it-yourself 161 game. My design goals are to make this very easy to put together yourself with no de-soldering needed or any use of existing AES parts. The soldering you will have to do is mount some components on the adapter boards (CHA and PROG) and connect it using a ribbon cable to the "original" MVS 161 cart.

Don't contact Raz. His ego will swallow you whole.

I got the PCB's today and they look fine. I'm still missing the CPLD but I will wire up the PROG board to get that out of the way and continue when I got the parts for the CHAR board.

I actually still like Raz as a person, but that BS with Phoenix ROMs left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.

Anyway, I was just going to ask... Uh, have you ever played the 161 cart?

IMO it's one of the worst multicarts, the best is the 120-in-1. 161 has a bunch of broken games Garou, Aero Fighters 3, Metal Slug 3 and horrible "features" like you can't goto the menu IF you have a memory card inserted.

I alsowould be interessted in converting a 120in1 from mvs to aes

Yes I have and everything except Garou and Aero Fighters 3 worked fine. It is cheap and easy to access and the widely most known one so I would assume this is what most people would like to convert.

My mod however is not limited to the 161 and should probably work with other multi carts as well.

I saw that some aliexpress sellers carry "2015 version" 120-in-1s. Was this an updated revision or just BS?
Likely the 2015 refers only to the making date. I think these guys have exactly zero interest on spending money to improve the quality of the cart's contents if it's already selling well with its problems/issues.

Back