What's new
Yeah, getting that music board to work with Spikeout was one of the hardest things I have had to do. The harness wiring isn't hard but sadly, different manuals show the pinouts differently making it very confusing.

If I recall correctly, Sega Model 2 game Top Skater and Model 3 game Lost World Jurassic Park Special both use DSB2 as well.
I think the issue is that some games like Sega Rally 2 only use the front channel, whereas Daytona 2 and Spikeout use front and rear channels.
What manuals did you get the schematics/pinouts from?

I've got some spare little mixers just in case so hopefully I can get Spikeout sounding great through the speakers on my SR2 cab.

@twistedsymphony can you copy and paste the data that shows that the sound roms are different? I dont know what im looking at but am trying to learn.

Thanks

Here is the ROM mapping for SO: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/model3.cpp#L5246
and
Here is the ROM mapping for SO Final Edition: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/model3.cpp#L5320

in each section if you scroll down to the area called "dsb" those are the ROMs on the Digital Sound Board.

each line here describes the name of the ROM file, the starting position of the ROM file, the size of the ROM file and then a CRC of the ROM file.

The CRC is a mathematical equation that can be run against the data in the file, it's used to check that the data is what you expect it to be.

For instance if I am sending you a file and I want to make sure it transfers ok I'll run a CRC algorithm against it, then send you the file and then you can run the same CRC algorithm and if you get the same number I did, then it means that the file is exactly the same. the SHA1 is a similar kind of check, just with a different algorithm.

MAME records the CRC for every ROM file so that when you load a game in MAME it can check that the file is correct. These CRCs are also an easy way to determine if 2 files used in different versions of the game are the same or different.

A lot of times when you have ROMs from Japan vs ROMs from USA you can check the CRCs for the two games and discover which ROMs are different and which ROMs are the same.

The CRCs are different for every DSB file between SO and SOFE, so that means that the data in those ROMs are different.

As already stated the sound Roms for DBO and FE are different.
I've tried FE DSB2 Roms with a DBO cage and the tracks play in the wrong order even though both games share the same tracks.

Here is the ROM mapping for SO: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/model3.cpp#L5246
and
Here is the ROM mapping for SO Final Edition: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/model3.cpp#L5320

in each section if you scroll down to the area called "dsb" those are the ROMs on the Digital Sound Board.

each line here describes the name of the ROM file, the starting position of the ROM file, the size of the ROM file and then a CRC of the ROM file.

The CRC is a mathematical equation that can be run against the data in the file, it's used to check that the data is what you expect it to be.

For instance if I am sending you a file and I want to make sure it transfers ok I'll run a CRC algorithm against it, then send you the file and then you can run the same CRC algorithm and if you get the same number I did, then it means that the file is exactly the same. the SHA1 is a similar kind of check, just with a different algorithm.

MAME records the CRC for every ROM file so that when you load a game in MAME it can check that the file is correct. These CRCs are also an easy way to determine if 2 files used in different versions of the game are the same or different.

A lot of times when you have ROMs from Japan vs ROMs from USA you can check the CRCs for the two games and discover which ROMs are different and which ROMs are the same.

The CRCs are different for every DSB file between SO and SOFE, so that means that the data in those ROMs are different.
Do you know if it's possible to change music tracks in the Roms?

I'd like to have a DSB2 Romset that uses music from Xbox Spikeout Battle Street that can be used with Final Edition.

Thanks.

@twistedsymphony @Ringo thank you both for explaining.

Is it safe to say that these DSB2's use 4 sound roms?

If I want to convert SpikeOut to Daytona USA 2, all I would need is the rom board, security board and sound roms?

If I want to convert SpikeOut to Daytona USA 2, all I would need is the rom board, security board and sound roms?
Yes, 4 or 5 DSB2 Sound Roms/Game Rom/security/board is all thats required to swap games. But be aware that some games use front and rear music from the DSB2 so try and use a DSB2 with the front and rear looms already fitted inside the DSB2 metal box just in case.

You will also lose any high scores when swapping games over though.

Yes, 4 or 5 DSB2 Sound Roms/Game Rom/security/board is all thats required to swap games. But be aware that some games use front and rear music from the DSB2 so try and use a DSB2 with the front and rear looms already fitted inside the DSB2 metal box just in case.
You will also lose any high scores when swapping games over though.
Are there pictures showing the visual difference between the front / front & rear looms inside the metal box?

The top picture is a fully populated DSB2.

The 2nd picture is missing one of the looms. (Wiring to the top connector of the PCB is missing)

DSB2_2.jpg

DSB2.jpg

Yes, the music is the same from DSB2. The only thing different is where the sound is outputted to, either front/rear/front + rear.

All other sounds apart from the DSB2 music will come from the game cage, and that can be different sounds from front and rear depending on the game.

bump any more info on this sec thing? as I am also try to get a model 1 and model 2 (Daytona) to boot on the I/o since these boards ask for a I/0 tx link or else blue screen.

so how can we get this jammafied ?( or even boot with an I/o

you may want to look at how emulators get it to boot,
i have not looked, but they probably either rom-patch or do something i/o related that you could clone

so how can we get this jammafied or even boot with an I/o
There were several adaptors made over the years like i.e.
https://www.arcadespareparts.com/ar...sses/sega_model_2_to_jamma_adapter/13518.html

The problem is that the power needed to feed that model 2 beast requires you to pump up your PSU in the cabinet pretty high
and assuming it works, you need to remember that you pumped high the 5V on that AMP, otherwise the next Jamma PCB that you plug in it's going to go BOOM.

If you use a PC PSU adapted, you shouldnt have that problem as it's regulated.

Back